Tuesday, September 27, 2011

A girl can dream...

source
I tend to get a little bit carried away with my ideas.   More often than not, what starts as a mere suggestion sends me dreaming into the possible outcomes while overlooking the steps that will be required to take in order to even come close to beginning the path in the direction of the said outcome.  Did I lose you?  For example:  I have my dream house all picked out.  I know how many bedrooms it has, how big the backyard is and even where it is located.  I like to spend my time in it making goodies in the open and sunny kitchen with a nice ocean view while my kiddos are in the playroom that is far enough away that their fighting merely sounds like beautiful strains of kids playing peacefully together to me.  When in reality we are so far from buying our own home that we may as well still be living with our parents.  Need another example?  I have my Survivor winnings already spent (student loans paid off, college educations saved for, a few new pair of running shoes.... like the Green Silence in every color and the PureConnect ones too... have you seen them?) never mind that I haven't even applied yet.  (I will this year though, I really, really will.)

With my visions of grandeur, it's no surprise that Dan going for a run last night... all of his own accord... had me daydreaming about us running ultramarathons together.  I could see us working as a team and encouraging each other along as we traversed the Cascade Mountains in the Where's Waldo 100K.  I pictured us getting up early on Saturday mornings and spending hours upon hours training for our adventures (I guess while our kiddos were left to fend for themselves?  they didn't factor into my dreams). Yes, in my mind, him running a mile turned into us running 10s maybe even 100s of miles.  I know that nowhere in his wildest dreams (maybe his nightmares?) does he think about running for hours and hours upon end so for right now I will happily encourage him to continue his goal of running 3 times a week (because I am super proud of him), while I secretly plan out the rest of our running/racing lives together.

6 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

You are just too cute!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Um, no pressure Dan...

Stephanie said...

Hilarious! Did you tell Dan about your future plans for him? ;) I think that would be awesome.

Run with Jess said...

Too funny! I'm always dreaming of running with my hubs too... and then I let go of that... and then Sunday, he spurts out "maybe someday I will run a half marathon." And there goes my dreaming again! :)

Heather said...

Love It! I'm reading Born to Run right now (seriously--was reading this right before reading your blog) so I can TOTALLY picture you and Dan doing a 100-mile ultra! Especially the part about how someone who REALLY loves you gets to be your pacer for the last 50 miles, enduring being vomited on and having to pop blood blisters on areas of your body that will not be named on this family friendly blog! :) I'll just let you two duke it out for which one of you gets to be the runner and who gets to be the pacer...

And I think you'd be awesome on Survivor--I'd totally cheer you on!

XLMIC said...

I love your dreams, Laurie :)

But you might want to drop Dan a hint or two before you enter something big :P