Monday, August 1, 2011

I'm on a boat...

I am so excited that it is August.  August IS summer!  I have our house on lock down and all the windows covered up, it's August and it is finally time for some summer weather here in Oregon!!

As for July, we had a great weekend to end it.  Friday afternoon we went to Klamath Falls to visit with family.  We celebrated Calvin's birthday with pizza, presents and the pool at my parents.  It was a good time.

 The cake wasn't anything spectacular... basically it was a decorate in 5 minutes or less sort of deal, but Calvin is having a party with some school friends this weekend and I'll try to redeem myself.

On Saturday, my father-in-law took us out on his boat.  It was so much fun.
 Basically, the kiddos hung out in the front of the boat,
 while Dan and I chilled in the back, practiced taking self-portraits and soaked up the sunshine.

believe it or not, this is the best we got
 We stopped for a bit to go swimming, it was pretty cold

 but for the most part, the kids were troopers.  Emme only got in once and then she was done but Leona and Calvin had a great time in the water.
 I also attempted to ski.  I have never skied before and I hear slalom skiing is harder than two skis, but since we had two slalom skis of different sizes I thought I'd give it my best effort.
 Unfortunately my best effort really wasn't good enough.  It was quite obvious that I had no idea what I was doing.  When my mom texted me to see if I was able to get up, I told her I was close a couple of times (before being dragged through the water face first and finally letting go) to which she responded "close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades".  Gotta love that family support.  :)
 All in all, though, it was a wonderful weekend and a great way to end the month of July.
How was your July?  Anything fun and exciting planned for the rest of summer?  It's August, which means it's Hood to Coast month!  I'm getting really excited about that.  We're also hoping to do some camping and maybe a little bit more boating.  Anyone have any good water skiing tips?

Also, don't forget my FlashBrite giveaway.  With two winners, you have a great chance of winning.  Enter now!!

5 comments:

Jody, RD said...

The last time I TRIED to water ski my forearms were sore for days after trying so hard (unsuccessfully) to pull myself up. It looks like you had a great time though!

XLMIC said...

Lean back. Keep the tip up. Push down through your heel. Keep your body weight back of your feet. I LOVED water-skiing. I used to go every summer with my dad on... Lake Oswego in Oregon! :) Gosh, it's been a million years...

Janet said...

Thanks for making me sound mean. I have never really gotten up on one ski either. After being dragged around the lake for what seemed hours, I finally got up for a few feet before I fell. Your dad says that doesn't count as getting up. Glad you had a great weekend. We did too. Mom

Catey said...

Your self portraits are so cute! :)
Sounds like you had a fabulous time, gotta love Summer!
I love love love waterskiing, but despite my best efforts have never been able to slalom ski. Two skis are awesome, but take one away and suddenly I'm the five year old trying to get up for the first time and being drug through the water with my arms practically yanked from my body. Good times. ;)
Hope the rest of your summer treats you well!

Fruit Fly said...

That sounds like so much fun!! As a former skier (and I say former only because I haven't had the chance to go in a couple decades almost), slalom IS hard! I always felt so lucky when I was able to get up, but then I'd be too petrified to even move. On two skis I'd be all over the place out there. Maybe next time you'll be able to try two!

Great photos. Super jealous of that beautiful, fun day!