Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I missed my blogiversary...

What, you didn't know there was such a thing as a blogiversary?  Well, there is.  I found out last year that they do in fact exist but apparently didn't think enough of it to remember it for this year.  It is entirely unlike me to pass up a reason to celebrate.  I should have made cupcakes and blown up balloons.  Last year, I had a nice post and even a giveaway in honor of the special day.  However, this year my blogiversary has now come and gone (sorry no giveaway) and I don't know that belated blogiversary wishes are in order.... so, let's just take a quick look back over the last 4 years of blogging!!  Yeah, that's right I've been doing this thing for 4 years... that's longer than half of my kids have been alive!

My very first blog post was on August 13th, 2007.  We had recently moved to Eugene for Dan to go to law school.  Dan started a blog about his 1L year and not wanting to be outdone, I started a blog too.  I didn't really have anything to blog about so I decided to have a running log of sorts.  My original blog title was "Laurie's Running Log Blog" and the entire first month of posts (all 8 of them) were about my running adventures.  It's been kind of fun to look back at them.  At the time, I had no idea there were any running blogs out there, I had no idea how to upload pictures, and I definitely didn't have any idea that anyone outside of my parents/grandma/in-laws would ever read my blog.

Since my last blogiversary, that I did celebrate, I have done quite a few things that I probably wouldn't have if it weren't for this whole blogging community:

  • I ran my first and second half marathon and am about to run my third.
  • I ran my first and second marathon and am about to run my third.
  • I've had my first, second and third blog meetups and have made some pretty decent blog friends.
  • I've stockpiled quite a bit of running stickers and started a running journal.
  • I've learned a lot about training and racing and fueling.
  • I've started taking a lot more self-portrait pictures "for my blog" than I ever thought I would
  • I've bought/won so many gadgets that I just HAD to have that I never even knew existed (foam roller, the stick, pepper spray, Garmin, running skirts, compression socks...)

and probably more than anything

  • I've stayed motivated to run and race and try new things, thanks to a fantastic community of like minded bloggers.
Although there have been many times that I have threatened (threatened who, I don't know, Dan I guess) to stop blogging and have been burned out or felt like I didn't have anything to say or that I couldn't say the things I really wanted to, when all is said and done I do really enjoy having my blog.  Guaranteed there will be periods of time where I don't blog very much or the things I write about have no appeal to anyone but me but I'm okay with that.

Thank you all for reading my blog and for your comments.  It's been a fun 4 years and I'm sure there will be many more years to come.  The other day I was trying to figure out what I will change my blog title to when I'm no longer using the jogging stroller... good thing I have at least 4 more years to figure that out.

And since, I've also learned that most posts are better if they have a picture, here are a couple bonus pictures of my "little princess".

The Hawaiian Fairy Princess:
 and of course
The Hillbilly Ballerina Princess

I don't know what her deal is lately with boycotting shirts, but it wouldn't be Noni if it was something normal.

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Yay!! Congrats on making it to four years! Glad you did- I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog!!

Penny said...

Congrats on blogging for 4 years that is awesome.
I will be at it a year in March. You are so right I have learned so much from the blogging community.

LB said...

happy blogiversary! ive enjoyed getting to "know you" thru your little corner of the interwebs!

AshleyR said...

Happy blogiversary! I am like you where I have my ups and downs with blogging. I've been in a blog funk for at least six months now. I keep saying I'll start with posting more but I guess I'm just not feeling the inspiration. I get the ideas in my head but just don't seem inspired enough to put it on the interwebs.

Fruit Fly said...

Aw, happy blogiversary!

I laughed when you said you take more photos for the blog. I find myself always telling people, when they look confused about my camera being out, that "It's for the blog!"

P said...

I vote for the hillbilly princess. Too cute!
I have become so proficient at the selfie that I'm not even embarassed to do it in public anymore! Who knew, right?
Happy belated blogiversary - I'm so very, very glad to have "met" you this way!!

Emz said...

I had to check when I read this...ya missed mine too. Uggg.
You so rock.
Sooooo happy I've gotten to know you. [that you let me & others into your awesome world].

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Happy blogiversary! I love pics of Leona, she's my favorite.

Oh, and who, who was a part of all three of your bloggy meetups? This girl, that's who! See you on Saturday for #4! Hopefully it will be more than just you and me...:)