Thursday, August 11, 2011

I could have died...

Okay, that was probably a bit dramatic but i did come close to being hit by a car this morning...

Dear careless driver in the black car,

I don't know what you were doing this morning, but it surely wasn't paying attention or being a very good driver.  We met at the intersection of Franklin Blvd and Agate Street.  The time was 5:44am.  I had been waiting at the cross walk for almost 2 minutes with no cars in sight, but because I am leery of drivers, just like you and I have 4 small children and a husband that anxiously await my return, I waited until I had the signal to cross the street.  Even once I had the walk signal, I paused a bit before stepping into the street.  I saw you coming, you were still a few seconds from the intersection before I stepped foot in it.  I saw you slow, almost pause, as you approached the intersection then I saw you speed up!  You obviously didn't see me until you were almost upon me!

Let me refresh your memory.  It was early.  It was low light but not dark.  I was the one in the middle of the cross walk, almost to the third lane towards the middle of the road.  I was the one wearing the bright yellow, practically glow in the dark, neon jacket with reflectors on the sleeves and back.  The jacket that I wear on earlier morning runs to avoid incidents like the one that occurred this morning.
I was the one that as you approached stuck my arms out wide and yelled "What the hell!" at you as you swerved around me.  Seriously, were you in that much of a hurry that you couldn't wait at a red light for 60 seconds?!!  Can you imagine how late you would have been to wherever you were in such a rush to be had you actually run me over?!  The light was RED!!!  Even my 3 year old knows that red means stop.  Do you know why there are red lights?  So, that idiot drivers, like you, who are unaware of their surroundings will know to stop at busy intersections and not run over pedestrians.  Red does not mean slow down or, in your case speed up before anyone sees you.  Red means STOP!!!  You're lucky that I was running by myself this morning and didn't have my stroller.  Had you endangered my child I probably would have chased you down, dragged you out of your piece of trash car and run over you repeatedly with the stroller and then pepper sprayed you for good measure.


I guess I can thank you though for getting me so worked up that as I cursed you repeatedly in my head for the next several miles I also churned out some negative split miles.  There is always that.  It doesn't, however, erase your carelessness.  Next time, PLEASE don't run red lights... it's just not worth it.


Sincerely, 


A simple & cautious runner that wants to enjoy her runs and return home alive to her family.

12 comments:

Tricia said...

Eeek! So happy youre ok

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

I've definitely had close calls like that. Thank God you are ok!

Amber said...

I'm glad you are ok. I think becoming a marathoner/cyclist had made me become a better driver. I always give cyclists plenty of room and I check intersections over and over looking for pedestrians.

Teamarcia said...

Waay too close for comfort! How ridiculous and careless. Shame on that driver and thank heavens you're ok!

LB said...

OMG, my blood is boiling reading this....IDIOT!!!! so glad you are ok!!!!

Alanna said...

Glad to hear you're okay! You probably should have chased him down anyways...

There's a corner right by our running store that I'm totally paranoid about. People turning right try to beat the on-coming left turners, but never look out for us waiting to cross. I've held people back/yelled at cars/wanted to hit cars and having to do that freaks me out.

P said...

There's simply no excuse for running a red light! I'm very, very glad it was "just" a close call. I hope that driver gets what's coming to him.

Raina said...

Yikes! Stay safe!!

me/mom/NANA said...

I am grateful that you are okay. This is the VERY reason why I worry about you running and the reason why I pray for your safety daily as well. Be safe.

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

SO frustrating! Glad you are ok.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Love this!! Glad you are SAFE.. I am sooo cautious, to the point I make full eye contact in cross walks. It is SCARY!! HUGS!

Cassy said...

Glad to hear that you're safe.

Cassy from Guitar Made Easy