Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Hiking Spencer Butte & a Big Thank YOU!!

First off, thank you so very much to those of you who donated for my DetermiNation fundraiser for the American Cancer Society in conjunction with my Hood to Coast team.  I'm now only $35 away from my personal goal and our team is only $5 away from the team goal!! (Who's going to be the lucky person to donate that last $5 (or more) that helps us reach it?)  Just click HERE.  Thank you, though again to all those who have donated, it really means a lot to me.  :)

I've kind of been way behind in my blogging over this summer but, never fear, I'll be doing lots of catch up posts to get us all up to date.  Sometime earlier this summer Dan and I thought it would be a lot of fun to go on a family hike.  Here in Eugene, Spencer Butte is a very popular hike.  Most of our friends with kids have hiked it many times and we decided it was time to get in on all the fun.  I won't lie, we didn't enjoy every moment because there were some extremely frustrating times, but when all was said and done, we had an incredible experience.
And we're off... 
hiking across the parking lot, probably the most dangerous part of the whole hike
 checking out the map... should we go quick and hard or long and easy

all kinds of running and trail running shoes and I choose my Converse?!
 and we're off... again
 and we're resting...
 This pic looks so "staged" but they didn't even know I was taking it:
 Resting, again... and fighting over the water
 Excitement renewed with the introduction of walking sticks that doubled as light sabers


 Here comes the mountaineering:
 I was pretty impressed with these three and their rock climbing abilities
 Finally, we made it to the top

 Next time I try to capture Jonny and myself in a self-portrait, I think I should lose the over sized hat.
Can you see him stealing my water bottle?
 Leona was a dirt ball from head to toe...
I have no pictures from the trip back down the butte.  It was a little less fun.  Lots and lots and lots of complaining and stopping and it seriously took twice the time to go down as it did going up even though it was all downhill.  The hike, though was a lot of fun and I'm still amazed that with all the poison oak along the trail, we managed to make it home without anyone falling in it, being pushed in it or picking it... mission accomplished!

6 comments:

track coach and adorable wife said...

I'm sure my kids would have ended up in the poison oak, so could job! Your pants are cute!

Maureen said...

I am totally impressed that you managed to trek the entire family up to the top of Spencer's Butte! That was definitely my favorite hiking spot when I went to school in Eugene!

Casey said...

hilarious! love this! great pics!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

Good luck at the race Laurie! I got you covered - you met your goal!

trifitmom said...

great photos

Fruit Fly said...

What a fun hike! I've only been in that area to run, I'll have to go visit just for fun sometime. You just look too cute covered with little children!