Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's a good thing I've been running...

because I've also been baking, like if Martha Stewart, Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines had a love child that did nothing but bake cakes and cupcakes it would be me.

For whatever reason I have been obsessed with making cupcakes.  I think it started when I got a new Wilton icing tip that makes the cool swirl on top of the cupcakes like the pros do.  You may remember the strawberry lemonade cupcakes I made back in June:

I then followed them up with the 4th of July cupcakes:
Then I made some vegan, gluten free cupcakes for a friend that actually tasted fairly good considering they were missing all the yummy things that (to me) constitute a cupcake.  They were a vanilla bean cupcake with an extra vanilla kick in the center.


When looking for the vegan recipe, I came across another cupcake that I had to try... caramel cupcakes with a salted buttercream icing.  Yummy!  I guess I never took pictures of them but they looked about like the ones above.  I thought the cupcakes themselves were a little dense and flavorless so when I made them again later in the week (yes, twice in one week) I put a caramel filling in them.  Very yummy.

Last week was also miss Leona's 3rd birthday, which meant cake!!  After a little discussion and deliberation she decided on a ladybug cake.  It was a chocolate cake with peanut butter frosting and tasted almost as good as it looked.  :)




After one of my friends saw the ladybug cake she wanted me to make a cake for her daughter's first birthday, which I was hesitant but happy to do.  The request was for a chocolate dog with chocolate and vanilla frosting.  Although I had  few issues with the decorating, I was mostly pleased with the results.



If you were keeping track, that is 2 batches of cupcakes and 2 birthday cakes in one week alone, not to mention the batches the 2 weeks before!  So, like I said, it's a good thing I've been running because I've also been doing a lot of baking/taste testing/eating all things bad for me.  :)  What else is there to do when it's barely 70 and raining in July?!  I've found some really tasty looking cupcake recipes that I can't wait to try, so I'm sure this won't be the end of my baking days... next up, vanilla bean cupcakes with a dulce de leche center and a dulce de leche buttercream frosting.  Yeah, that one might require a few extra miles logged.

Oh, also, if there is anything you're dying to know or ask me, don't forget to comment on this post.  Thanks!

16 comments:

LB said...

holy cow....i. am. SALIVATING!!!!!!! those are great!!!

artofrunninghood said...

Oh MY Goodness!! you are seriously talented here Laurie!! You made these?? I am impressed!! So impressed!! Wow. Can I hire you for my kids' birthdays?? I will drive to Eugene too! ha! I met Raina today and it was so wonderful...you are right...she is such a great person!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

You have mad skillz! Yum!

Callie. said...

you are speaking my language. Too bad I am not there to help you taste test, I would have gladly volunteered. :)

XLMIC said...

You are Cathy CakeDecorator! AWESOME!!!!

And they look like they would be so yummy :)

Catey said...

You're almost as bad with the cupcakes as I am with cookies lately! Seems like we bake a new batch at least once a day! lol
You did an amazing job on those cakes! They turned out so great!

Marisa @ The Pace of my Life said...

Wow! Impressive!!

Cat B. said...

I want to live at your house!! It's amazing you are not in a sugar coma.

Lindsey and Isaac said...

The caramel and buttercream cupcakes were sooo good!

Erika said...

Those are amazing! Could you come to Michigan next week and make a cake like that for my daughter's 2nd birthday!? kthanks... :)

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

oh my gosh I am just floored, those look so wonderful!! i do not have that kind of patience ...i mean i eat the cookie dough before it ever makes it to the oven

milesforbreakfast said...

Those cakes remind me of the cakes my mom would make me growing up. I have pictures and I always look back at them and smile. I don't have my mom's baking talent at all unfortunately.

PS. New follower here :)

Dick said...

Pretty impressive, Laurie! We had no clue when you were born that you'd turn into Suzy Homemaker... and I know I made a comment to your mom about 14 years ago that I felt sorry for whoever married you because you'd never learn to cook! Sorry for my lack of confidence...I should have more faith in your mom's influence!

Beth said...

Whoa, those cakes are amazing!

Julie D. said...

those are awesome!! What lucky kids to have homemade cakes like that. LOVE the dog cake!! I love experimenting with cupcakes!

Fruit Fly said...

You are pretty darn talented in the kitchen! Looks almost too good to eat!