Sunday, June 26, 2011

Well, we made it...

After almost 12 hours in the car yesterday, we finally arrived in St. George last night to begin our vacation. To say that it was a long, long trip would be quite the understatement.  In case you missed my post about the first half of the trip, you can check it out here.  If I had had any idea what the second half of the trip would have entailed, there is no way I would have complained at all about the first half.

So, Emme's bit of "car sickness" as I thought it was turned out to be full blown stomach flu.  She was up the entire night vomiting and by the time we had the car loaded up and ready to go, she was completely miserable.  We pilfered the plastic ice bucket from the motel room so that she would have something to throw up in while we were driving.  Unfortunately, though, we didn't take the ice bucket from my grandma's room.  Had I known that we would need another bucket less than an hour into the trip I probably would have cleaned out the whole floor of the ice buckets.

So, like, I mentioned, less than an hour into the trip we had need for another bucket... this time Calvin.  It was not pretty.  We gave him Emme's bucket and handed her an empty nut container.  At that point she had very little left in her belly besides water, which she couldn't keep down.  It was just plain awful.  We would drive for a bit then pull over so they could go to the bathroom, clean out the buckets, get some water and then pile back into the car.  We were though, for the most part in the middle of the dessert so there wasn't much but sagebrush and rocks.

When we had the rare opportunity of a nice rest area with grass we took full advantage of it.
My poor, poor kids.  By this point Jonny had slowed down considerably and was really grumpy, not letting me out of his sight or letting anyone else touch him.  I should have known that he was getting sick too, but I think I was in denial.  Shortly after this picture was taken, he threw up all over me.  So, if you're keeping track, there are now 3 kids with flu-like symptoms, we have 1 real bucket, even though we've packed for a week and haven't even been gone 24 hours, we are running out of clothes, we still have over 400 miles to travel and it's 90+ degrees.

My mom had been incredible.  I was driving and she was dealing with my sick kids.  I don't know how I could have handled it without her.  After the rest area, my mom and I switched places, she took over the driving and I took over as Emme's personal pillow and bucket passer.
We contemplated renting a car for my mom, grandma and aunt (my grandma and aunt can't drive that far alone) to take and getting a motel for the kids and I to stay the night in but it would have required a lot of reorganizing of bags, extra money and would have left me alone (and not feeling so well myself) with 3 (soon to be 4) sick kids.  Instead we decided to just keep going, even though we knew it was going to be a long tedious process.  When the kids weren't being sick, they were sleeping, so it was actually somewhat peaceful at times.
yes, that is Leona off screen sucking her thumb and rubbing Jonny's head
With less than an hour to go, we could almost see the finish line.  Then Leona got sick and threw up all over herself and the car seat, which prompted another stop, clothing change, etc.  After she got sick, she seemed almost to be happy about it, telling everyone that she was sick too.  I guess maybe she had been feeling left out?!

I don't know how many times we stopped but I do know that it took almost 12 hours to make what should have been around a 7 hour trip.  I feel like we completed an ultramarathon and I don't feel the need to do another one anytime soon... unfortunately though, in just a week, we will have to turn around and go home. Hopefully, though everyone will be feeling better and we will have gotten to enjoy a bit of our vacation.  This morning, Jonny still seems to be fairly sick as does Emme but I think that Leona and Calvin are on the upswing.  My mom, grandma, aunt and I are refusing to get sick... this is a sickness only for kids.  Think happy, healthy thoughts for us.  Hopefully we'll get to do some fun stuff soon and I can stop posting about yucky sickness stuff.

In the mean time, don't forget to enter my giveaway!!


P said...

Oh, Laurie! I don't even know what to say about this besides, you poor, poor thing!! I can't even imagine dealing with a road trip like that. My fingers and toes are crossed that nobody else gets sick and the kids are all better soon!! Happy vacation!

XLMIC said...

I hope everyone is totally healthy really, really soon. This is a nightmare I have :P You poor thing! And all your little poor things! Just wishing super hard for good health for you all :)

Kris said...

What an awful start to your trip. Hope everyone is feeling better! You deserve your own vacation after this vacation!

Anastasia said...

Oh no! You poor things! I hope you get a chance to recover during your vacation.

Amber said...

Oh my gosh....this makes me think an ultramarathon would have been EASIER than your road also makes me want to reconsider even having kids. Ick. hehe I hope everyone is on the mend and you enjoy the rest of your trip!

runnerchick said...

OUCH poor kids!

Catey said...

Yikes! There's a car trip to remember. Glad you all made it safely-hope everyone is better soon!