Friday, June 3, 2011

Lovin' the Sunshine

Yes, it is spring (nearly summer) and it has been for a while, but it has been remarkably cool and rainy (yes, even for Eugene) and has felt more like the dreariness that is an Oregon winter.   Today, however, has been absolutely gorgeous and we are in for more of it tomorrow.  It makes me excited that summer might truly be just around the corner.

It's also Friday!! I love Friday because it still means the whole entire weekend is to look forward to.  This Friday is a little bittersweet though because Dan has had the entire week off and it means this will be our last few days together until he has to go back to work and pretend to be a grownup.  It has been super nice having him home.  It was also a great help to my marathon recovery.  On Wednesday, for example,  I slept in until almost 7am (I know, can you believe it?!) and when I came upstairs, the kids had already been fed French toast, were ready for school and all the dishes were done.  It was truly amazing... something I don't think I could replicate even if the planets aligned.  He has also been busy planting tomatoes, chiles and peppers, with which he will make salsa.  Yummy. I wish we could figure out a way for him to stay home every day and still get paid for it.  Wouldn't it be lovely to do what you wanted all day every day and not have to worry about an income, just sort of roam around and have fun.  ("No Jules...They got a word for 'em they're called bums.")  I could most definitely go for that.

Also, with Dan being home I've been hitting up lap swim during the day.  It has been really nice getting into the pool.  As much as I love to run and I do really, really love to run I think I just might love swimming even more.  Especially when it is outside swimming.  I love it even more when it is outside swimming and the sun is shining like it was today.  It would be even more awesome if I could have a lane to myself instead of sharing it with some girlie in a skimpy (definitely not for lap swimming) bikini who wanted to stop for about 5 minutes on every wall and some very large old guy who seemed to think it was the "super slow lane" but that might be asking just a bit too much...

I think I'm basically back to 100% after my marathon.  It has been a week and I haven't run at all but the pool has been a great way to stretch out my muscles and really get feeling good again.  I think I could go for a run and be just fine but I'm going to hold off until Monday.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend.  Good luck to everyone that is racing, especially Amanda who is making her return to marathons in Newport this weekend and is bound to do it in speedy fashion!!

3 comments:

XLMIC said...

Ha! That old guy was probably going slow in the hopes that Miss Skimpy's top would fall off and he wouldn't miss the show :P

How awesome that Dan was there to give you recovery space! That is one big reason why I am avoiding the Big Run... time spent not only training but also recovering when I have a pretty high-maintenance brood. Might need to start cracking a whip or something ;-)

Enjoy your awesome weather and hope you have a wonderful weekend, too :)

Nicole Orriƫns said...

I love Fridays too! They're full of the promise of a long weekend.

And it's just great to wake up, and have the work already done for you.

I applaud your husband.

momshomerun.blogspot.com

FruitFly said...

What a nice week! And great that you are already recovered from your big race!