Monday, June 27, 2011

If running is your therapy...

how do you cope when you can't run?!

Whether it is from illness (yours or those you care for) or injury, when you are sidelined for running is there anything you do that gives you the same feelings of euphoria and accomplishment?

Going on day 4 of flu fest, formally known as our big summer vacation, I've had about as much as I can handle of sick, pukey kids.  This morning, after my mom got back from her run and I had Jonny down for a morning nap, I knew that I had to get outside.  It's been a week since I ran last.  I'm still dealing with an Achilles that just won't be quite and a knee that seems to be trying to steel attention from the Achilles so my running has been few and far between.  Nothing, however, makes me feel the way I do after I go running so this morning it was time to have a therapy session.  I needed it.
I was so excited to get outside.  In the back of my mind, I thought that maybe I would just run to the fitness center then use one of the elliptical machines or a bike but when I got there I couldn't make myself go inside with the other gym users... I wanted to run.  And so I did.

I wasn't exactly sure where to go until I noticed a dirt road on some undeveloped land close to the resort we are staying in.  It turns out that the dirt road led to a trail runners dream.
I opted for the curvy trail on the left.
Dirt and trails and hills and mountains and more trails.  The only thing it was missing was any sort of tree coverage or maybe a nice lake/river to run by... but no complaints here, I can't always be running in Oregon.  It was just what I needed.  A run... by myself, with no cars and no people... to clear my head and get out of the germ filled bubble I've been living in.
I was happy, happy, happy... and a little very, very hot.  I could tell that it had been a week since the last time I ran and that for the last 48 hours I had been negligent in fueling my body... I was quite sluggish.  I didn't care though, it was so good to be running, regardless of how slow I was going.
I was even happy to get back to the hill that I originally went down to get to the trails, although I didn't remember it being quite so steep when I ran down it... with the sun at my back and not glaring down at my face.  I think it's time to invest in some sunglasses.
Unfortunately though, my Achilles mostly, and my knee to a small degree, did give me a bit of grief.  I only went a little over 3 miles because I am trying to be cautious.  Hood to Coast is only 2 months away and the Columbia River Marathon only 2 months after that.  Those are 2 races that I definitely don't want to miss.  Even that small distance though made me wonder what I would do if I couldn't run... where would I get my therapy?

12 comments:

Tricia said...

sound lovely!

amocurrare said...

i agree! now being pregnant, i read running blogs and walk/jog on my favorite running routes. Which is working for the time being, but is different from an actual injury or lots of sickos. i can TOTALLY feel you when you describe the greatness of a run after a week off, even though you'd wanted to get out there!!!

Emz said...

yay for getting out there and loving every step!

LB said...

wow, beautiful!!!!

its definitely hard to be without your "therapy" i was sidelined for 3 months, it was torture!

Heather said...

I am glad it made you feel a littler better mentally.
I hope that achilles, the needy knee feel better soon. (As well as your kids!!)

P said...

When I've been unable to run, I've been able to get a bit of relief from biking or swimming, but there is NOTHING like running! Sure hope your kiddos feel better soon!

Trish said...

I'm glad you were able to get out for a bit and get a break from your vacation ;)

When I can't run, I pout and think about running!! (ok, only sometimes :)

~K~ said...

Something is wrong w/ my back and it has now been a WEEK since i've run. Definitely hard! I've been using an exercise bike on my back porch so it's better than nothing...but still not quite the same. Hope it's better soon!! I need my therapy!

Dick said...

Glad you were able to run, Laurie. Be careful with your Achilles...it's not something you want to screw up. One more bit of advice while you're in St. George...keep an eye out for snakes, especially if you're trying to beat the heat by running in the early morning. IHope you guys leave all the bugs in Southern Utah.

Catey said...

If running is your therapy then you are crazy enough to run in SG after the sun is up! :) It is HOT down there!

XLMIC said...

Even if it hurt, you look way too happy to not have done it :) I hope everyone is ALL better SOON!

Quinton J said...

I know what you mean...sometimes you NEED to get out there. Damn it looks hot out there.