Tuesday, May 17, 2011

In Search of Balance

Lately it seems that I'm having a bit of trouble finding balance in my life.  I'm sure there is some super person out there who can manage to keep an immaculate house, while keeping the kids fed healthy diets, attending all the soccer practices and games they have, keeping up on the laundry, finding time to run and write interesting blog posts about it and then not only read but make insightful comments on other blogs all the while staying sane and calm and enjoying life.  That most definitely does not describe me.  I have my days where I feel that I can handle and maybe even excel at everything that is tossed my way but trust me, those days are few and far between.  So, since it has been almost a week since the last time I blogged (sorry Grammy) here's a quick recap of what we've been up to:

Soccer season officially ended on Saturday (hooray!!).  Emme's team celebrated with a pizza party.   For some crazy reason, I thought it would be a good idea to volunteer to make cupcakes for it.  (I think it has something to do with my secret desire to own a cake store.)  I then had a very late start on my long run which in turn got me working on the cupcakes later.  Although I had a mini (self induced) panic attack while making them and ultimately ran out of time and missed her last game (and only goal of the season) in order to finish them, they were well received (all 48 of them!) by the girls and parents alike.
aren't all soccer balls incredibly misshapen?!

I've been doing a fair amount of trail running lately.  It is so challenging and so much fun all at the same time.  Saturday I did 16 miles on the trails and had a couple spots where I thought I'd probably die but I survived and can't wait to do it again.  Dan has been so encouraging and seems to know right when I need help the most.  There was one spot where I had just gone up and then down "Mt. Baldy" and I was hurting and thinking to myself how hard it was and that I cold never do it in a race.  Within seconds of thinking that, I got a text from Dan asking how I was.  I told him I was hurting.  To which he responded, "keep working hard, it will be worth it."  Then "You've freaking got this ;)"  which of course couldn't help but make me smile.

Sunday is my normal rest day, which I spent chasing Jonny around at church.  I don't really know how Sunday can legitimately be considered a "day of rest".  Sunday night brought the Survivor finale, which was bittersweet, because it means Survivor (my only guilty pleasure is now over) but I was pleased with the outcome.  And yes, I still secretly want to be on Survivor even though I have yet to ever get it together enough to apply.  Would you watch if I was on?

My only option to run on Monday was early and when my alarm went off, I told it no and went back to sleep.  So I took an unofficial rest day yesterday too.   Which brings us to today.  Again, not wanting to run early, we skipped out on play group and I loaded up Leona and Jonny for a much needed tranquil run along the river.  Even though I only had 7 on the schedule, all the conditions were perfect (Leona was calm, Jonny was sleeping, the weather was awesome) so we turned it into 10.
.

As I've been sitting here typing this, the dishwasher has finished and is waiting to be emptied, the laundry is waiting to be switched, my hair is waiting to be dried, Calvin is waiting to be kicked off the Wii and Emme is about to walk in the door and will immediately be waiting for a snack... so much for finding that balance I'm in search of...

5 comments:

Catey said...

Oh my heck-how cute are you?! Love the cupcakes! I am struggling with the crazies lately too, trying to get it all in and actually enjoy some of it too. Let me know if you figure that out. :) I am thinking that for this stage in life "balance" is a relative term.

Val said...

I definitely empathize. If only we didn't need to sleep! BTW, the picture at the header of your blog is beautiful!

Richelle said...

I'm finding it difficult to find balance in my life as it is now, and I'm not even a parent! I've got work, running, wedding planning, house/townhouse hunting, blogging (although it's mostly keeping up with the bloggers that I follow). From what I read about you, it sounds like you keep everything together well. Keep it up!

Those soccer ball cupcakes look amazing!

FruitFly said...

Okay - go on Survivor, 'cause I would TOTALLY watch! Heck I'd turn Survivor night into an event just to watch! THEN, after getting your winnings you can open up your cake shop, which could have a great location near good running trails and soccer fields!

track coach and adorable wife said...

Jesse also harbors a desire to be on Survivor. You guys could go on together, form a secret alliance, and then end up stabbing eachother in the back! We love it!