Friday, May 27, 2011

I'm a Liar

I don't know if you remember yesterday where I ended up devoting the majority of my post to how much I love to race and that I don't get nervous anymore.  Well, that was yesterday when my race was more than 24 hours away.  Now that reality has set in and I realize that tomorrow I will be running my 2nd marathon and first trail race ever, the nerves have kicked in a bit.  I'll be honest I'm probably not quite as terrified as I should be, straight from the race people,
  • If you choose to drop out at any time, you must let an aid station attendant know immediately, otherwise, we will send a search and rescue party looking for you.
  • Keep in mind, that the course is very difficult, but aid locations and intersections are never more than 2 miles apart. 
  • Oh yeah, Run Big!!!!!  If it was easy, everyone would do it!!!
That being said, I am still really excited.  My race day outfit is all picked out.  It was picked and ready to go before I even registered.
love my run or die sleeves, they seem so hardcore
I'll be one of 24 people running the marathon distance and I'm pretty sure I will be the most colorful.  I may or may not wear a bright neon yellow jacket too... I figure with all that color and brightness it will be easy for the search and rescue people to find me.

I'm pretty sure that as soon as I discovered this race I knew I was going to do it.  Yes, I am that dumb.  When I posed the question to the general blogging community I was met with surprisingly encouraging comments that helped fuel my desire:
First up was Kovas who always has such a nice way with words:
then Jenna Renae who rarely comments:
and also Jill, who said:


Plus there were the naysayers, specifically my mom who said if I did it, I "would literally die" and my mother-in-law who flat out told me not to do it:

If there is one thing that fuels me to do something it is being told that I can't or shouldn't... guess it is still my immaturity shining through... maybe someday I'll grow up.

So less than a week after my original post about the Ridgeline Ramble Marathon, I signed up.  I signed up, but didn't tell anyone, not even Dan.  Instead I spent the next 3 weeks doing all my long runs and several weekly runs on the Ridgeline trail until I felt confident that it would be a race that I could handle.  Then when Dan said, "aren't you worried that it will fill up before you register" I finally told him that I had been registered for 2 weeks.  :)

I know that it is going to be a difficult race.  It's a marathon, I don't remember that distance ever being considered easy and then by putting it on a trail with several decent climbs, the intensity level is upped a notch, however I'm still super excited.  I know the course and have run every inch of it (in sections of course) many times.  The way it is set up there are several different sections and I plan to just tackle one section at a time... it just so happens when all is said and done those sections will equal 26.2 miles on the day.  I don't have any sort of time goal in mind and I know that there may be a couple sections where I may need to walk a bit, but I'm okay with that.  It is a race I'm doing just for me. It is in a place I love and I'm resolute on having a great time while doing it.  I don't know that I will so much be "racing" it as much as just "running" it and I'll do my best to be doing that with a smile.

20 comments:

track coach and adorable wife said...

That is awesome that you are going for it! I say just run it, enjoy it, and survive! Have fun!

Amber said...

7 years ago my family and friends told me I couldn't/wouldn't finish a 1/2 marathon (walking). I now coach race walkers, run sometimes, started doing triathlons and even finished the Goofy Challenge this year. Now the Mud Run I am doing this weekend might be a bad idea but it's always fun to prove the naysayers wrong!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

You go girl! With your bad@$$ sleeves (and excellent choice in running skirt, I might add) you are going to do awesome tomorrow.

I think you are amazing to do another marathon less than a month after your first. Wow!

FruitFly said...

Loving the outfit!! You will definitely be the best dressed person there!

Have a great time and enjoy those awesome views! Don't be like me and lay down on a bench mid-race. This could be part of the reason I only beat 2 or 3 people in last year's 10K!

Can't wait to hear all about it. I feel like you are so ready, you're going to have a fabulous time!

giraffy said...

I love that outfit!! How could you not have a great time?!

Jill @ Run for the Hills said...

Your mind is in it and lots of times that is more than half the battle. You've got this! Have fun! You're sure as heck going to look awesome while doing it!

BeePieRuns said...

So awesome that you're doing this race! You will have a great time - how could you not with such a cool outfit?!?! :) Hope you have a fun day!

me/mom/NANA said...

I knew as soon as I said "DON'T DO IT" you would run the race, do a great job, and have the time of your life. Remember I have daughters your age and I treat them the same. I wish it worked that way with my boys. Have a fun race and enjoy the time on the trail. We will be waiting to hear and read all about it. Love you.

Momma K gotzt the runs said...

LOVE skirtsports baby! Rock it! You will do well--go out and impress yourself and mostly have fun! You might be scared to do it but most people couldnt actually physically do it. So flex in the mirror a little and go out and own the trail!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

Laurie! Thanks for visiting my blog and I will be following yours! Your race day outfit is THE best--I wish I could stray from my Ninja black and put together a combo like that!

I forgive you for being Duck fans! Hey, you live in Eugene, that's awesome! I'm a HUGE Pac-10(12) fan, so we can friends, I promise!

GOOD LUCK THIS WEEKEND! I can't wait to start reading MORE about YOU!

Heather said...

Of course you are going to be awesome. How could you be otherwise with that kickin' outfit.

Stephanie said...

Wow, Laurie, that sounds so interesting! It will be a good challenge - and you'll be able to say that you did it. Even if you appear on the news as a rescued runner - hey, you participated AND got famous. Double bonus! :P JK You'll be awesome. I just know it. :)

Quinton J said...

You'll do just fine. I still get VERY nervous before all of my races. For like the whole week leading up to it I'm a mess. But once I cross that start mat...it all falls away.

p.s. I'm SO gonna steal that outfit.

XLMIC said...

You will NOT get lost in the wilderness! Your race outfit will ensure that :) And it is super cute to boot!

Wishing you well with this really cool-sounding race... I do think you will have a blast doing it :)

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

You're a tough cookie! Have fun, girl!

Deanna@MilesToRun said...

So excited for your race! You will do awesome. I can't wait to read your recap. Good luck!

P said...

Super cute outfit!! I love the guaranteed Top-25 finish, you are going to completely ROCK your marathon!! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear all about it!

Marci said...

You are my running hero! Run happy.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Cute outfit. I'm not a skirt fan really but this one I like! so cute. Go for it! Excited for you!

Small Town Runner said...

Have a great race, Laurie! Run Happy on a beautiful trail. :)