Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Zorbing anyone?

First off, I must say thank you to all of you wonderful, amazing people and your encouraging comments yesterday.  I had no idea that whining a bit about feeling nauseous would elicit such an outpouring of genuinely kind comments.  After reading each and every comment several times I can't help but have a confidence boost and am headed into the end of this week with a new found excitement for my race.  Thank you.

Now, to the purpose of this post.  One comment in particular that caught my attention yesterday came from everyone's good buddy Kovas, who usually has something brilliant to say.  He said:
Which of course led to my google search of "Zorbing" as I had never heard of it.  I don't know if you are aware of the "sport" of Zorbing but it apparently has been around for a while and is fairly popular in some European countries, Asia, Canada, Australia, well basically everywhere but here in the United Sates, although there are reportedly, three Zorbing facilities, one each in Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania.  Basically, Zorbing is it exactly what it looks like... human sized hamster balls.  Participants are secured in the ball then they roll down a hill until they are ready to puke.  When I mentioned to Kovas that my nauseousness in the Zorb might be increased to 11 (as in "this one goes to 11") he calmly responded, "Oh, you don't want to throw up in a Zorb!"  I would imagine not.  
from Wikimedia Commons

If you are a Zorb fan and a fan of the Olympics, you are in luck because Zorbs have been adopted as the symbol for the 2014 Olympic games in Sochi, Russia.  According to Dmitry Chernyshenko, president of the 2014 organizing committee, "The transparency of zorbs also reflect the open, accessible and inclusive society that Sochi 2014 Games is helping to build."  I also learned (is there any better learning tool than Wikipedia... it's all absolutely factual, no?) that there are currently two Zorbing Guiness World Records:  1.  Longest sphereing ride: 1,870.1 feet and 2.  Fastest sphereing ride:  32.3 mph.  Try to keep your cookies while traveling in circles that fast.
Speaking of strange contraptions, when I was leaving the track this morning, some guy whooshed past me on the street riding an "ElliptiGO"(luckily it had its name painted on the side or I would have had no idea what to google).  Maybe I've been living under a rock, but I had never heard of what essentially amounts to the bike for runners.  It is one of the coolest (and strangest, although not too strange after researching the Zorb) contraptions I've seen.   It's the real deal though, as it has been endorsed by many spectacular people, including none other than Mr. Ultramarathonman himself, Dean Karnazes.  Dean of course uses it not only to cross train but to compete in already difficult cycling events like the "Hell's Gate Hundred".  When asked why, his response, "I love seeing how far the human body can be pushed and the ElliptiGO gives me another way to push the envelope."
from the ElliptiGO website
How about you?  Ever tried a Zorb or heard of it?  How 'bout the ElliptiGO?  Could be fun stuff.

12 comments:

Mile Posts by Dorothy Beal said...

Haven't ever heard of either! Learn something new every day right?!? :)

Kovas said...

Once I find a cool swimming contraption, a new form of triathlon will be born!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Hmmm..."left the track", you didn't even mention your workout today!

BeePieRuns said...

I've never heard of zorbing but I saw those Elliptigos on "The Dr.s" one day - back when I was going to the Y on a more regular basis ;) They look pretty fun!

XLMIC said...

I have never tried zorbing, but I do roll my toddler around on a yoga ball sometimes :)

You could probably sort of zorb on water as part of that new triathlon ;-)

I have never heard of that elliptigo…sounds like a disease…lol…but looks pretty amazing.

Thinking of you and Eugene!

racing dawn said...

crazy contraptions are great distractions for marathon anxiety... you should try one... ;)

i'd try the elliptigo before the zorb!!!

Emz said...

Ahhh Kovas.
Kovas.
Kovas.

The man is one of a kind.

I love it when I too have to google 84% of his comments.

track coach and adorable wife said...

Boy, I have missed reading your posts! Looks like I have missed all of your training, its so like me to just show up at the end to see the results! But really, you are so speedy, and of course you have to post a better time than track coach or at least give him a good time to shoot for in his first marathon! Good luck, I wish I could come watch you guys :(

Momma K and her Krew said...

I thought of you today--did you get into the Nike womens? I hope so!

FruitFly said...

This is awesome! I guess I have SEEN this Zorbing thing on tv or the internet, but never knew its name. I would TOTALLY try this!! We should get this put in Eugene, then every time we all get a little crazy we can just go hit the zorbing hill!

Beth said...

Zorbing sounds like a fun, vomitous time to me...

I've seen the eliptigo at my local bike shop, but haven't seen anyone actually riding it yet. Very curious!

Detroit Runner(Jeff) said...

I just saw an elliptiGO at my half expo. Looks really cool - too expensive though.