Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Realizations

Today is Tuesday.  My race is on Sunday.  Sunday isn't very far from today.  I think I've crossed over to a point where I am starting to freak out a bit.  I ran a nice and easy 4 miles this morning and felt nauseous the entire time.  I tried to distract myself by "writing in my head" which is what I usually do when the voices aren't too loud.  I came up with the post I'll write as soon as I get back from my big race.  Title:  I did it!  Post:  26.2+ miles in 3:xx:xx!!  Many, many more details to come.

Unless I can't get control of these pre-race jitters (that are starting waaaaaaay to early) I think I should reasonably be able to finish under 4 hours.  I however, am also willing to accept that things may happen and I might not get the time I'm planning for.  I'm not even 100% sure what that time is, I do know it starts with a 3 though.

Beth, over at Shut Up and Run had an awesome post that I felt like was just for me today (me and her thousands of other followers).  It gives some quality advice for first time marathoners.  It also made me realize that a marathon is a long freaking way to run.  Somewhere along the line, I think I forgot about that.  It's just a marathon, no big deal, is what I always tell myself, but that isn't true.  It IS a big deal.  Maybe someday (after I've run a few dozen 50+ mile races) I'll look back on it and say, oh, it was just a marathon but until that point it IS a Marathon and that is a long way to run and I'm going to feel good when I have finally done it.

I've also come to realize that I'm about to make some new "real life" friends at the OBC (Oregon Bloggers Connection) meet up dinner.  I'm super excited about that.  Here's a list that I stole from my buddy Kim.  You should stop by and tell these awesome runners hello and wish them good luck for the weekend:

Running the Half:
Kim -  (Just) Trying is for Little Girls
Rhonda - Little Fruit Fly in Rainbow Colored Socks
Jenna Renae - Run Lawyer Girl Run
Julie - Adventure is Out There
Stacie - Impossible is Nothing

and running the full with (or more likely, slightly in front of) me and traveling cross country to do it:
Beth - Swim Bike Run DC
Amy - Welcome to Boston

We will also be graced with the presence of ERG - Small Town Runner, who will hopefully spend the evening telling us how wonderful it was to run Boston and distracting me with tales of how easy the Eugene Marathon will be.

If for some reason you didn't make the guest list and would love to get in on the fun let me know and we'll hook you up with the details.
photo: Boston Globe

That's it for today.  I'm now off to take my kids to playgroup... at the mall.  I guess I've figured that if I've managed to ward off all the sickie germs my kids have I can press my luck with other kids' germs too.  I'll just think happy, healthy, magic force field around me, thoughts and I should be fine.  Anyone have an extra bubble that I could live in for the next few days?

23 comments:

Tricia said...

you've got this. rest and relax this week

Kovas said...

Some time Zorbing is just the ticket this week!

Amber said...

I'm cheering for you! Whether its your first race or your 100th, its still nerve wracking!! And BTW, I write in my head while I race too! :)

BeePieRuns said...

Marathons ARE a big deal - even when you've done a lot. I'm sure you're gonna do great, just let yourself relax while you run and get into your groove. I'll be cheering from Chattanooga!!

me/mom/NANA said...

Can't you just think of things you are grateful you are not doing, like getting not 1 but 2 root canals on the same day, or taking the nursery by yourself with 2 dozen 18 month olds, or spending 4 days in the car with 4 kids and your mother in law, or being stranded along side the road with no traffic with those same 4 children and mother in law and no cell phone service. See running your marathon wil be a party compared to some things you could be doing. Relax and enjoy the run. You are prepared and now just enjoy the journey.

Dick said...

Laurie you need to quit worrying. You've put in the training, and you're going to do really well! Sorry I won't be there to take pics and cheer you on (maybe your mom can figure out how to work the camera)but I'll get updates on your progress while Doug and I are on our way back from Boise.

misszippy said...

It's only natural to be a nervous mess--you care about this. But take confidence in your training and know that you can do this!

Julie said...

You're going to do GREAT!! I just know it!

We have a name??? The OBC - LOVE IT!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Woo hoo! OBC, yep that's us.
Relax, you are going to kill it!

FruitFly said...

I can only imagine how you are feeling right now. I mean this is huge! I'm already freaking out BAD today, and I am only running half of your distance.

I'm so excited for dinner. And seriously, can't it just be Sunday already?? I don't know how much longer I can handle all of this anticipation!

Run Momma Run said...

Hey Laurie! I'm so excited for your big day! Nerves are part of the whole experience. It's something to write about and laugh about later :-) There is nothing you can do at this point to improve your performance, so trust in your training and hard work. When the gun goes off, just run. If someone asks if they can do anything for you this week, LET them. Rest, go to bed earlier, nap when the kids do. The hardest part is getting to the starting line, so you're almost there. Cheers to you and your sub-4!!! ~Laura

Small Town Runner said...

Oh, Yes...I will be able to tell you how EASY the Eugene Marathon is. =D Weather contingent, of course =D

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Small Town Runner said...

TRUST your training and taper...you will do great!

And mom is right!!

Heather said...

You are going to be great. I am looking forward to hearing all about it.

racing dawn said...

I write posts in my head too... most of which I never ended up writing... so crazy...

You're gonna be great!! You're super speedy and will ROCK this race! So fun...and next time I'm up there I want to be in on the OBC...sounds so cool... ;)

Relax, deep breathing, picture the anxiety leaving your body... You are going to have a great first marathon!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Laurie, YOU WILL Be GREAT! take the pressure off, don't expect anything of yourself except to run like you know you can run and Enjoy the process. YOu've done the work and Girl, you've run some fast paces. Of course you'll have a 3 in the front. Just get in your happy place and run. And I bet you that your comfortable pace will get a time that is faster than you even expect. Seriously...you've got some running legs girl! Just trust that you know what to do! make it fun...enjoy being able to just sit at a 8 min mile pace or even under and feel good! Go get 'em! And enjoy Laurie!

Penny said...

You are going to do great. Like everyone is saying trust your training. Have fun and enjoy all the people cheering for you.

XLMIC said...

You are wonderfully prepared, Laurie. You will do amazingly :) Be prepared to feel kind of emotional at the start. You will tell yourself through tears, "I'm really doing it" as you work your way through that first mile. Anyway, that's what happened to me ;-)

As you are feeling jittery, I would give yourself a little peace of mind by looking at one of those pace charts, like Macmillan.
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
I think this is pretty accurate. I plugged in my past times (what I was doing for a 5K when I was training for a marathon) and it gave me a very true, doable time to shoot for. This way you can have something to gauge yourself. I ignored this when I ran my first. I felt amazing and went out way too fast.
wooo weee... long comment :P shoulda done an email... oh well...
wishing you all the very best :)

Emz said...

This
Post
Rocked.

It'll never be "just" a marathon. It's. A. Freaking. Marathon.

This: "writing in my head" thing. I. Like.

Now
Go
Freaking
Get
That
3:something.

Teamarcia said...

Don't stress too much because you're more than ready for this. A marathon is ALWAYS a big deal. And everyone who runs one is as well.
Soak it all up and most importantly ENJOY it!

Richelle said...

Good luck on Sunday! You've got that sub-4!

amy said...

It's going to be an awesome day! Can't wait to meet you on Saturday!

theAlmostRunner said...

just found your blog. SO cute! GOOD LUCK on your race!