Thursday, April 7, 2011

A little of this and a lot of that...

It has been over a week since the last time I blogged.... craziness!  In no particular order, here's a little bit of what has been going on:
  • I went and saw the movie MY RUN last week.  I had fun.  I enjoyed the movie.  I don't really know what to say about it.  I think maybe I was a little bit disappointed that, even though it was technically about running, in a way it wasn't.  Terry Hitchcock had never really been much of a runner and to my knowledge isn't running now.  I think my problem is that I went in to it thinking like a runner, I wanted running specifics, like did he wear the same pair of shoes the entire way?  What did he use for fuel, was it seriously just bananas and some "super drink"? Did he have some major issues with chaffing?  You know, silly questions that only runners would ask. His desire and ambition and what he accomplished (when all was said and done, he did run from Minnesota to Georgia, running more than 26 miles every day for 75 days!) was impressive and inspiring in itself it just didn't inspire me from a runner's standpoint... in my everyday life, sure, but my running life, not so much.
  • Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to participate in a preview run of the last 17 miles of the Eugene Marathon.  I run most of the course every day on my training runs, but there is a section of the course that goes through Springfield that I have never run so I thought it would be something good for me to do.  The first 10 miles were really pretty miserable for me, I felt tired and bored.  I don't know that it was so much going through Springfield that was bad but more the fact that I was there by myself.  Most people had come in groups and were running together and for about 3 miles (after most people turned off to make it a shorter run... there were 10 and 14 mile options) I was completely alone.  Then shortly before the bridge around 11 miles I joined up with 3 people from Portland and acted as their "tour guide".  It was great because we talked and ran and it totally turned around the way I felt about the entire run and even though I had picked up my pace, I felt stronger and more energized... it's amazing how mental running is. I also can't believe it is only 3 weeks away!!  Here's a little motivation from last years race:

Eugene Marathon 2010 from Paul Reynolds on Vimeo.


  • I'm running the 10 mile Pear Blossom race Saturday in Medford.  My parents are both running the 5K and they generously offered to sign me up for the 10 miler and since my motto is "never turn down a free race" I happily agreed.  My plan is to run the 5K with them (kind of as a warm up and to increase my miles for the day) then use the 10 miler as a tempo run.  I'd like to say that I have no plans to "race" it, but I think I know better than to say that I'm not going to race a race. I've already gone as far as researching last year's results to find those in my age group with similar paces that are registered this year and taken note of their bib numbers so that maybe I can scope them out on the course (too much... am I crazy?!)  I have a hard time not racing my training runs.  That being said, how does one race a 10 mile run?  Do you fuel during?  I would imagine its not quite as fast as a 10K but a bit faster than half-marathon pace.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  • We are officially in the throes of spring soccer.  Emmeline had practice last night and made me so proud.  The team took two warm up laps around the field to start practice, in which she paced herself nicely and then sprinted to the finish to beat everyone (isn't everything a race?) and then at the end of practice they did two cool down laps and according to Dan she flat out smoked everyone by over half a lap.  I guess she also scored a couple of goals during their scrimmage, but mostly I'm proud of the running.  Isn't that what soccer is all about... running?  In fact, isn't that what everything is all about... running?!
  • I came close to buying a Garmin.  Luckily, I came to my senses and talked it over with Dan first, who wisely suggested we "sit on it" for a bit.  It is a good deal though and he does have a birthday coming up... doesn't every good husband need to celebrate their birthday by getting their wife a Garmin?  So, that being said, what Garmin do you have?  What are your pros and cons?  I have a pretty good idea of the one I would like to get and I've done a lot of research, okay, that's not true, this awesome guy has done a ton of research for me, but I'd be interested to see what you, my lovely blogging friends (if I still have any, I have been absent for a bit) would suggest.
So, that's about it for today.  No more bullet points.  Hope everyone is having a great spring so far.  Happy Running!

14 comments:

FruitFly said...

Have fun at the Pear Blossom! My friend was supposed to have that as his first race, but then wouldn't listen to my advice about not immediately running 10 miles in your first long run ... and now he's out injured and seeing a PT. :(

I'm so glad you posted that video. THANK YOU!! I really needed that. I've been freaking out about the Corvallis 1/2 this Sunday and haven't even had a chance to think about Eugene. But that video gave me goose bumps the entire time. I think I'm feeling ready to race!

I have a Garmin 305 and I LOVE it! It has way more features than I actually use though, but I attribute that to my lack of doing anything fancy during training yet. After Eugene I wanted to start doing speed work and fancy real runner stuff, so maybe I'll use more features then.

Amanda@runninghood said...

I'm reading but have to dash away again but I hope to be back to comment and finish this!

Amanda@runninghood said...

I love my Garmin but it is the one without a HR monitor..the 205 I think? Now that I have one (since christmas) I don't know what I did without one. Love it!! HOpe you get one! Good luck on your 10 miler. I'd say try to go a little slower than 10k pace but go out slower and then start picking it up and see what you can do! Use it as a progression run and finish in 10k pace is what I would do. Or maybe finish in 5k pace! :)

Small Town Runner said...

Best wishes at Pear Blossom!

That stretch of the race in Springfield IS boring. find a buddy on that stretch or listen to your Ipod. I found a guy wearing a garmin during that stretch and it was nice to chat with him.

No garmin here either. Ironically, Hubby and I just had a similar conversation.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

So glad you got to run the last half of the course. We did one 10 mile race last May, I of course, think it's more like a half. I had a good halfway through it.

I have the Garmin 405, love it, but you already knew that.

Emz said...

Pear Blossom just sounds amazing!!

Enjoy it!

Teamarcia said...

Happy April! I missed you!
Love your race motto.
Wow your marathon will be here b4 you know it!

Penny said...

Good luck on the Pear Blossom race. I have a Garmin 305 I love it. I cant believe I wanted this long to get one. They are not cheap, so saved my money I got for xmas and bought one. Great thing

Marci said...

That video was so awesome.
I think I saw you running today, up 24th by Sundance. I think it was you because you mostly just looked like a flash of speed.

Richelle said...

Good luck at your 10-miler on Saturday!

I just bought a Garmin 305 on Amazon.com. My brother and his girlfriend gave me a $100 giftcard for Amazon, so I only had to pay about $30 out of pocket for the watch.

Beth said...

Thanks for posting that video! I'm running Eugene but won't have the opportunity to see the course until the Saturday before. Watching that gave me goosebumps!!

Julie D. said...

hope your 10miler went great today! Loved the marathon video...can't wait to run eugene...next year for sure!!

amy said...

Thanks for sharing that awesome Eugene video, and I love the countdown clock! Looking forward to meeting you there!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Hey you! I just registered for the NWM! Just enter our code that I sent and cross your fingers. My friend Tiff registered for 8 spots so I'll mention on my blog again to see if anyone else wants to register with our team. All the Pacific NW runner/bloggers are running that Girlfriend's half that weekend in Vancouver so they are out. bummer. How was your 10 miler?