Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Earth Day

What, doesn't everyone have a pair of
Earth Day socks?!
I really didn't want to get up to run today.  When my alarm went off at the shocking hour of 5:30 (almost a full hour later than I normally would get up to run pre-taper) after 7+ hours of sleep (probably at least 2 more than normal) I snoozed... twice.  Then I remember that today is Earth Day and I couldn't possibly skip out on my Earth Day run, especially since I have a pair of socks I got on a super clearance sale last year that have been sitting in my drawer for almost 365 days waiting just for this run on this day.  So, I peeled myself out of my nice and cozy down comforter and in honor of Earth Day decided to run naked.  Okay, not naked like you're thinking (I already told you I had cool socks to wear, which I paired with my Lululemon skirt because nothing says we love the earth like the down to earth yogis at Lululemon) but naked as in no watch.  In all honesty this wasn't my original plan, I just forgot to charge Ol' Gus the Garmin and 20 hours of battery life does eventually need to be reenergized.  I first I thought maybe he could get enough juice if I plugged him in while I brushed my teeth and got Jonny ready but then I figured that since it was Earth Day and all it was fortuitous and I should use it as a chance to really enjoy my run.

Enjoy my run is exactly what I did.  I took my camera and took my time and took notice of the things around me.  It was a beautifully lovely morning... very, very cold, as in the skirt probably wasn't the best idea cold but lovely nonetheless.  Here are a few, okay actually a lot of pics I took:

This silly tulip is right by our driveway and has no business being where it is, but it makes me happy when I see it
 I decided Hendricks Park would be a great place to commune with nature.
 I had never noticed the swings before, I wonder how long they've been there.  Nice thing about running sans watch is you have time to stop for a swing.
Jonny gets photo credits on this one, he held that stroller nice and steady for me to balance the camera on.
 Here comes the sun...

 Originally these turkeys were chasing around a poor little hen but then they noticed me in my awesome Earth Day socks and hard to miss jacket and decided to put on a show.










I love spring and even more than that I love were I live.  I love that I can roll out of bed and within minutes be in a beautiful park or by the river.  Today I had a great run.  I'm not sure how far I went and I have no idea how long it took me, but it was just the thing I needed to start my day.  I hope you all enjoy your surroundings today and if you get a chance go for a run, take a walk, just get outside and breathe.

11 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Aw, cool socks! Thanks for reminding me to charge my Garmin. Ali and I are running the virtual Jelly Bean 5k this afternoon. I need to wear mine for our time!

Beth said...

That is so pretty! What a great idea to take off the watch and just run for fun. Happy earth day!

FruitFly said...

What a beautiful start to your day! I keep wanting to just go up to Eugene some weekend for a nice long run in a new place. I might have to hit this park when I do that!

Teamarcia said...

Beautiful! Happy Earth Day!

Catey said...

What a beautiful place to run! Great way to start the day!

Richelle said...

Sweet socks! I'd love to find a pair like that! Beautiful pictures, too!

Run Momma Run said...

Lovin the bitchin socks, Laurie!! My kids love those swings too. MUST run up there soon. It is so gorgeous. Have a great weekend, easy week and a FANTASTIC race before I forget to tell you.

Marci said...

Thanks for the post, It made me think that it might be worth getting up early just to enjoy this beautiful place. I was going to do it too, but Daisy just wouldn't have it. Go Earth!

XLMIC said...

What a lovely Earth Day run! Thanks so much for taking us with you :) Spring is beautiful in your neck of the woods!

ajh said...

I love all your pictures. I am still waiting for spring as we keep getting snow but rumor has it it is due to arrive. Happy running.

AshleyR said...

What beautiful pictures! I used to think I would like to live in Portland but your blog has me falling in love with Eugene!