Thursday, March 31, 2011

Three Things Thursday

1.  I miss spring break.  As hard as it is at times to be home with 4 kids all day, there is something kind of nice about not having to get the kids off to school by 8:00.  I don't know what it is about mornings where they know they have to be somewhere, but everyday since school started back up on Tuesday (so yes, a whopping 3 days) all hell has broken loose.  This morning was particularly tumultuous.  Within 5 minutes of Dan walking out the front door,  Leona had soaked the entire bathroom floor with pee, leaving, ironically, only the pull up she had been sleeping in dry, while at the same time Jonny climbed up on the kitchen table and poured a glass of water all over some "semi-precious" papers, while Emme sat there watching him and yelling at the top of her lungs, "No Jonny, No!" mixed with "Mooooomy, Moooooomy!" and Calvin was in his room having a meltdown with regards to socks.  Also, the tea kettle picked that point to be at full steam and the waffles popped up from the toaster, which changed Emme's yells to "Mommy, Leona's waffles popped.  Moooooomy!"  How was your morning?

2.  I ran 10.5 miles this morning.  I was tired and hungry and it didn't feel all that great, but I did it and I'm done and I'm happy about that.  However, after the above mentioned chaos, I helped myself to a couple scoops of cookie dough that I didn't bake yesterday which I fear negated the running.  Does eating cookie dough act as a post run fuel... how 'bout if I washed it down with extra chocolaty hot chocolate?

3.  I'm going to go see MY RUN tonight.  I have a special "press pass" ticket that I received in conjunction with my writing on Examiner.com.  If nothing else, I feel pretty cool about being considered press.  The documentary does look like it will be good though.  In case you haven't heard about it, it is about a guy, Terry Hitchcock, who in his mid 50's decided to run a marathon everyday for 75 consecutive days to raise awareness for single parent families and the trials they face (he had recently lost his wife to breast cancer).  It is narrated by Billy Bob Thornton and has won quite a few independent film festival awards. I have two tickets and invited Dan but we decided we'd rather save our "babysitter" uses for something we would both really enjoy so I tried to get myself a date.  I actually didn't try very hard I only asked one person, who couldn't come then I put it to the whims of Facebook.  "I have a FREE ticket to MY RUN, does anyone want to go with me."  And there it sat, all. day. long. with not so much as a "like" until finally at a little after 9pm I had a taker.  Audrey, my super speedy runner friend (who is training to run a sub 20 minute 5K at the Eugene Marathon) is going with me... I think maybe she felt sorry for me going to another running movie all by myself.  That's okay, I'll take a pity date.

Anyway, that's it for me today.  While I've been typing this Jonny has emptied our entire dvd collection onto the living room floor and is now starting to pull them out of their cases.  Is 8:30am too early for a nap?!

8 comments:

me/mom/NANA said...

Is 8:30 too early for a nap? That depends. Are you talking about you or Jonny? Hope your day improves.

Heather said...

Sounds like a nap could be useful. Maybe it would act like a "reset" button.
Can't wait to hear about the movie.

Kirstie said...

Very cool about the press pass. I'm going to see the movie too! I can't wait. I love running movies!

L.B. said...

We had spring break a couple of weeks ago now but every day since then I've not wanted to do the morning routine. Ugh. It's not always chaotic but, like you, I enjoy not having to rush them out of the door (for me it's 7:30) in the mornings. I just want my lazy weekday mornings back! And by lazy I mean that I still have to run and work and run the household... while the girls are the ones who... relax... hey, that doesn't sound like a fair trade-off at all...

BeePieRuns said...

I completely know what you mean! Our spring break was last week and to make things even sweeter, the girls and I visited my mom where she cooked and cleaned and did everything while I sat on the couch... so yeah, this week back has been a rude awakening. Here's to hoping it gets better for both of us!

Catey said...

Yikes-what a morning! Sorry. :( I am counting down the days till Spring Break. And Summer Vacation too!

Enjoy your night out!

aqb said...

It wasn't pity, I had tons of fun, thanks for date!

Small Town Runner said...

Oh my.....sounds a lot like our place in the morning!
I hope the movie was good! I will have to check out your review =D

Great running....just hang in there! It's almost here! Taper and fresh legs. =D