Wednesday, March 16, 2011

RIP Purple People Eaters and a Mediocre Day at the Track

I'm sure most of you don't remember this post from almost 2 years ago.  I was celebrating the arrival of my new shoes, my "Purple People Eaters".  In case you didn't click on the link to check it out, lets just say I was slightly excited about them.  Well, Monday after my run when I uploaded my workout to Runner's World and put in my shoes, I was shocked to see that my dear Purple People Eaters have over 508 miles on them!!

I guess I haven't really been paying attention.  See, I have 5 pair of basically the same shoe in different colors that I rotate through and I had no idea that any of them were getting that high.  As my collection grew (thank you T$ and the sweet Nike hookup!), the Purple People Eaters, because of their dark color that didn't show mud and grime as much, became my "rainy day" running shoes.  Of course, here in Eugene, during the winter, that pretty much means my "every day" running shoes.  After the last few runs I went on, my feet were hurting, my right arch was killing me and of course I had the ever present knee and sometimes hip pain.  Do you think it's any coincidence that for about the last 3 1/2 weeks the only shoes I had been wearing were my Purple People Eaters?

So, Monday, marked the last outing my Purple People Eaters and I will go on.  Had I known it would be our last time running together I probably would have done something a little special, but instead I ran in the rain (of course) on the muddiest bark trail I've been on all season.   They've treated me very well the last 18 months and hopefully by not wearing them any more my body will thank me.

I ran this morning, in the rain... and in my newly christened "rainy day" shoes.  I wore them yesterday too and the problem I was having with my arch has disappeared.  My knee is still troublesome, but I'm hoping that with time, and maybe more stretching and icing, perhaps not wearing shoes with so many miles on them will help.  Anyway, remember the other day when I said, "I was surprised that even though I hadn't run, in what felt like forever, I don't feel like I lost too much fitness."  Well, this morning I found that fitness I had lost, meaning, I was wrong (no, it doesn't happen often).  My new workout schedule called for 4 x1600s on the track.  I didn't want to do it.  It was early and cold and rainy and after getting up too many times, I caved and let my two littlest munchkins sleep with us, which means I was sleep deprived, but thanks to Kim and her new found dedication to the track I couldn't bail on my track day.  However, when I got to the track I could tell that it wasn't going to be pretty.  The first 800 of my first 1600 was 3:32, not too bad I guess, but then I finished in 7:14, hmmm, definitely slowed a bit.  The last time I went to the track my first 1600 was 6:49... okay, I told myself, I guess we'll just have to negative split these.  Round two: 7:13.  Well, technically it was faster but definitely not what I was looking for.  During my recovery laps between my 2nd and 3rd 1600 two guys showed up at the track and proceeded to walk 1 lap with an umbrella before climbing back into their truck and driving away.  Hmmm, did they bail because of the weather or did they seriously come to the track at 5:30 in the morning to walk 1/4 of a mile in the rain?!  Anyway, I vowed to make #3 faster.  The first 800 was a 3:38, not a good start, but I managed to finish in a 7:09.  Another couple quick recovery laps and it was on to #4.  The last time I did 1600 repeats I only did 3 but my times were:  6:49, 6:40 and 6:46, so I was determined to get under 7:00 for my final repeat this morning.  7:02.  Fail.

I came away slightly disappointed in my times but not as disappointed as I would have been had I skipped the track altogether.  With less than 7 weeks until the Eugene Marathon, I'm definitely not where I would like to be, but I'm where I am and I guess that's going to have to be good enough for now.  (How's that for profound?!  Ha ha.)

Only a few days left for your chance to win some awesome arm sleeves from InknBurn.  I have a pair for the ladies and a pair for the guys (not too many guys have entered, you've got good odds if you're a guy) so check it out HERE.

5 comments:

XLMIC said...

You went out and cranked through it... as Dora would say... Lo Hicimos! except "we" didn't do it ... YOU did :)
And that, my friend, is awesome!

Those purple shoes are so cool... I'd be sad to see them go, too. Still wishing on a healthy, pain-free knee for you :)

misszippy said...

Heaven is waiting for those shoes! You did a great job on the track--don't be disappointed.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Your disappointing track workout would've rocked my workout world! Funny how that goes...

Okay, I'll do 16 on Saturday (I've never run farther than 14, so this Saturday is going to be a big friggin' deal for me!). Can't wait!

FruitFly said...

You couldn't hear it ... but I just had a moment of silence for your shoes. :(

7 weeks? Wow - that's coming up so fast! You'll be awesome!

Angie said...

Mile repeats are tough! Good job getting after them and cranking out a speedy one for your fourth!