Monday, March 14, 2011

On with the week...

Hooray it's Monday!  Okay, I don't really feel that way, I'd actually prefer we skipped over Monday and maybe even Tuesday and went straight onto Wednesday, or while we're jumping around, maybe we could skip the whole week up until Friday afternoon and just start another weekend... buuuut since we can't do that I'll pretend to be excited that its Monday.

We had a pretty good weekend here.  Friday, Emme, Calvin and I went to their school's book and technology fair (basically a fundraiser where one can buy used books and dvds for super cheap) and we were all happy to score on some pretty good things.  Emme found a nice butterfly book, complete with stickers and also a couple more Magic Tree House books that we didn't already have and Calvin walked away with a book all about sharks and Return of the Jedi on DVD.

Star Wars is a pretty big thing at our house right now.  One of Calvin's friends received two copies of Star Wars Legos the Complete Saga Wii game for Christmas and so his mom thought that we might enjoy a copy.  Yes please!  The kids (and Dan) would play it all day if I'd let them.  It's pretty cool because it goes through all the episodes of the movies and also, because it's Legos, when you die (which I do a lot when I play) you just fall into Lego pieces instead of a big bloody mess.  Last Sunday, on TV they showed Star Wars episode IV which we dvr'd and then watched in increments over the course of the week and weekend.
It has been a lot of fun.  We did the same thing with The Empire Strikes Back last night, which we will finish up over the week and then probably over Spring Break we'll watch Calvin's new movie, to round out the original trilogy.

Saturday, I went out for my first run in two weeks.  I was surprised that even though I hadn't run, in what felt like forever, I don't feel like I lost too much fitness.  Unfortunately though, my knee did bother me, so the two weeks I took off didn't magically fix whatever problem I have.  That is disappointing.  I'm going to counter this by restructuring my training plan.  I've drastically cut my mileage back by over 10 miles per week and instead of running 4 pretty heavy days, I've spread it out among 5.  I'll still be running between 40 and 50 miles per week and my long runs will still the same length.  I'm not sure how I feel about this.  I think I'm somewhat sad to bail on my old training plan, it was intense but I knew it would prepare me.  On the other hand, not running anything over 10 miles during the week is going to fit a lot better with my life right now and probably be a little nicer to my knee.  I'll still be prepared in less than 8 weeks (wow, it's coming up fast!) to run my marathon and will still be able to cross the finish line and I guess right now that is my ultimate goal.

When I got back from my run, I was greeted with this:
Why yes, that is a slug (and a thumbtack) in the middle of my living room floor.  (The thumbtack is merely for size comparison, we do usually try to keep sharp objects and bags of broken glass out of our kids' reach.)  When I took this picture Dan said, "You aren't going to put that on your blog are you?"  "Maybe send it to your mom, but don't put it on your blog."  Well, here I am, putting it on my blog.  Yes, I think it is quite gross that their is a slug on my floor.  In my 31 years of life, I don't ever remember having a slug in the house (maybe when we lived on the coast when I was younger, I do remember my brother always playing with and possible eating them.  Mom?).  I don't know how it got there.  We don't wear shoes in our house, we don't have any pets, nor do we live in squalor, in fact my house is very, very clean right now, but there it is, a slug, right in the middle of the floor.  Gotta love living in Eugene, where the rain brings the slugs and the cheap, unweatherized rental house, lets them slime their way right into my living room.  :(  Hope you don't think we're gross.

Anyway, today is Jonny's one year old check up.  I'm excited to see how he's measuring up for his age.  It's also good because the poor kid is really sick again.  He's been kind of sick all week, but  the last two nights he has woken up with a fever over 103 and he's just miserable.  Hopefully the doctor will be able to figure out what's wrong with him and get him feeling better soon.

Well, this has turned out to be kind of a long, random, rambling post.  If you made it to the bottom, good for you.  In fact, great for you, leave me a comment (on this post) about something gross you found in your house (or if you've been lucky enough to never have dealt with that then let me know something you're looking forward to this week) and I'll give you an extra entry in my giveaway, which if you have entered yet you really should!

16 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

That slug is gross. Once, in college, we had a mouse. I couldn't help but think that it had been crawling all over my food. Ew!

Kovas said...

Slugs are good protein.

me/mom/NANA said...

I am happy to say we have never had a slug in the house. When we lived over on the coast we had them all around outside, but never in the living room. The only really gross thing around here lately is my attitude. My mind has me in some kind of a deep black hole that I can't seem to crawl out of. Yes I exercise, pray and read my scriptures and then I do them all over again. The exercising is helping me to keep losing weight I am just so sad that it makes me cry ALL THE TIME. I need to see some grandbabies soon and I hope that will help. Keep posting the photos of your beautiful babies. I love them.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

In my house, not much. The shingles flying off the roof and landing in the yard are super gross to me. Can we get to summer, please?

Also, I'm looking forward to running with you on Saturday. Basically, let's just fast forward to Saturday and get 'er done!

Julie said...

I found two slugs on the hardwoods the other day. I think they came off the dog. She must have picked them up in the grass.
Did you know we had 11 pet slugs last year? My daughter captured them and kept them in her bug habitat and once I week I had to pick them up and transplant them to a safer place while I cleaned their home. I can no longer kill the odd slug I find around :-(

Gross. I know.

Beachgirlrunning said...

Thankfully no slugs here but we are getting slammed with stink bugs!! I usually find at least one in house on a daily basis. I've heard that they are supposed to get worse as the weather warms up. UGH!

Emz said...

the
coolest
slug
ever.

Seriously. I wish we had slugs!!

Teamarcia said...

Blech. I can do without slugs, thanks. Gross? Mouse under the mill. I am traumatized.
Sorry the knee is still ornery.

XLMIC said...

I hope Jonny's appointment goes well and that he is feeling a whole lot better really soon :)

As a kid, my best friend lived in a house where the slugs could get in...I stepped on one in the dark during a sleepover one night. She rescued me and stuck pins into and flushed it down the toilet... which was grosser than the actual slug :P

I love sharing things like Star Wars with my kids... love that pic with the popcorn and the sippies!

Your kids are just so cute!

Wishing you a pain-free knee!

Catey said...

Sorry Jonny is still sick. Poor kid...poor mom! Hope he is on the mend soon!

Also, yes Happy Monday, because it's Pi day, which means you should eat some pie. Or at least eat some tomorrow to make up for it. Surely pie=happy?

As far as gross, well, with 8 kids and two dogs, I'll just leave it up to your imagination.....

Kris said...

Bummer the knee is still bothering you but that's awesome that you felt like you didn't lose much.

We had mice, yes plural. After we had central air installed, the idiot who put it in didn't seal up around the hoses coming into the house. NIce.

I should add that we no longer have the mouse problem, it was so gross just thinking about them scurrying about. eww.

Richelle said...

I hate finding any slimy, crawly bugs in my house! I also can't stand daddy long leg spiders and woodticks.

Kt said...

Sorry your knee is still bugging you, but glad to see you got back out there running. Hopefully the little guy feels better soon!

The grossest thing I think I've found (besides a stray hiding smelly diaper) is a tick that has fallen off my dog or cat, YUCK!

BeePieRuns said...

Yuck, I hate slugs. So far nothing too gross here, but I remember has a kid growing up we rented this log-cabin type house that really wasn't well insulated. I found huge golf ball sized spiders IN my shoes more than once. I hated living there!

FruitFly said...

As far as slugs in Oregon go, that one is kind of cute! I mean it is petite and not one of those big, plump banana slugs that we always had at our cabin at Tenmile Lake. So if you have to have a new little pet - at least he is easy on the eyes! ;-)

I think my grosses thing was the mouse I found in my cat's mouth. I heard a little squeaky sound - turned around, and there was my little Tinker Bell delicately holding the mouse. She didn't even hurt it. I felt like she was just capturing it and waiting for someone to remove it from her house ... so we did!

Stephanie said...

We don't even bother keeping the sharp object and bags of glass out of reach anymore. he he Eeew! Love the part of the kids and Star Wars, though. I miss you guys! Our kiddos would still get along so well. :(