Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

We love St. Patrick's Day at our house. We pretend it is because we have Irish heritage (well Dan does, I've only married in) but mostly I think it's because we love all things green!

Our traditions start the night before when we set the trap for the Leprechaun. This is a tradition we started when Emme was in kindergarten and talked about how someone in her class tries to catch a Leprechaun every year. Apparently if you leave some money out the greedy little leprechauns will come and take it away. The point is to try and trap them. If you are lucky enough to outwit the leprechaun and he is there in the morning then he will trade three wishes for his release. If he manages to get away though, he'll usually reward you with some sort of "treasure".

This year's trap consisted of a colander propped up by a spoon (and my running journal).  We left a pretty hefty reward (there are even some Chuck E Cheese and car wash tokens in there) for the sneaky little guy and were feeling pretty optimistic about our chances:
We were, however, outwitted yet again.

After checking for leprechaun treasure, it's on to the green breakfast...  
this year was green pancakes with green syrup and green milk.

Then a quick picture before Emme and Calvin headed of to school.  This will be Calvin's first St. Patrick's Day at school and he was so excited to see what kinds of green clothes and St. Patrick's Day tattoos all his friends were wearing... I tried to explain to him that not everyone is quite as neurotic eccentric ambitious as we are... hopefully he won't be too disappointed.


Tonight, we'll have corned beef and cabbage with red potatoes, carrots and Irish soda bread.  Since we don't drink, which is kind of a big thing for most on St. Patrick's Day, we'll celebrate with a nice cold bottle or two of root beer and "green soda" aka Sierra Mist for the kids.

And, just for fun, here's what I would have worn had I been racing in some awesome shamrock run or had I not run in the dark this morning.  Pair it with some nice knee socks with shamrocks on them and you're good to go!  I just wanted to share because I think it is an awesome St. Patrick's Day running outfit... maybe next year.


Anyway, Happy St. Patrick's Day... do something green to celebrate!  Or, better yet, get hooked up with your very own awesome arm sleeves from InknBurn... today is the last day to enter my giveaway!

16 comments:

Jody, RD said...

I thought the spoon that propped up the collander was a big cheeto!

Amber said...

I thought so too, Jody! haha

Laurie said...

Ha ha, that's funny. Maybe a cheeto would have had a better outcome! :)

Candice @ I Have Run said...

Love it, especially the outfit! Happy St. Patty's Day!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

How great! Your kids are lucky to have such a fun mom.
Awesome outfit--maybe for the Shamrock Run in Portland in 2012?

Oh, and about 16 on Saturday, you do remember that I am slower than you and you may need to have patience with me, right? I can't wait to run the course...

me/mom/NANA said...

I love the pictures and also thought it was a very big cheeto. I have 2 little ones here with green snotty noses does that count as being green enough. I am green with envy as well that Janet is going to see those beautiful children of your's this weekend. Have a great day and visit with your mom.

FruitFly said...

I also thought it was a Cheeto! A Cheeto spoon would be cool!

You are so creative. I love all the green you have incorporated. This is the first I've heard of the leprechaun trap. Maybe next year I'll to try snag one of those sneaky little suckers!

Your outfit is cute!

Julie said...

Oh! They are just too cute!!
I sprayed some green hairspray towards my daughter's head as she was going out the door, made sure my son was once again this week wearing his John Deere green shirt and called it a day :D

LB said...

what a cute little tradition!!! i will have to remember that when haley is old enough. i thought the spoon was a cheeto too....now i have a craving for cheetos....thanks!

Catey said...

How fun! Love your running outfit too. :)

Kirstie said...

Love the skirt! Great idea to leave the treasure behind!

tri like mary said...

Your family traditions sound like so much fun. Love the St. Patty's day running outfit too!

racing dawn said...

My kids will not eat the green food I make...such party poopers. Your kids look so cute! And I love the trap...so fun

And I bought a green Oregonn ducks tee while I was up there...you'd be proud... :)

Richelle said...

Those are fun St. Patty's traditions you've established with your family. You are a cool mom!

Callie. said...

Laurie,

I love that idea of leaving a trap! I just might have to steal that. It looks your kids had a wonderful St. Patrick's Day thanks to you being such an awesome mom!

Emmeline said...

Mommy I love the outfit. Emme