Friday, March 4, 2011

Alphabet Soup

This post actually has nothing to do with alphabet soup.  Although now that I've mentioned it I could go for some soup.  I love me some soup... I don't however like alphabet soup... yuck.  Anyway, I'm sure you've seen most of the ABC posts floating around, I'm not really sure where it started, so I can't give credit, but I've enjoyed reading the ones I've seen.   Anyway, here are the ABC's of me:

A - Age:  31  I have no problem being in my 30s, it's kind of fun... I however do not look at all forward to the day 8 years and 260 days from now when I turn 40.  That scares me.

B - Bed Size:  Queen.  That's seriously all that will fit in our room and it barely fits at that.  Someday when we aren't in "student housing" anymore, we will have a bigger bed and a room that it can fit in.  Of course when that day happens we probably won't have any little kids trying to sneak in between us and we won't need the extra room.

C - Chore you Hate:  Laundry.  It's not so much the washing or the drying it's the folding and putting it away and I really don't think I'd hate it so much if it weren't for the fact that I have 4 kids and they seem to fill up their laundry baskets before I even get them empty.  How young can kids start doing their own laundry?

D - Dogs:  Nope.  I think they're smelly and hairy and drooly... I get enough of that with my kids.

E - Essential Start your Day Item:  Toothbrush.  I cannot function until I've brushed my teeth.

F - Favorite Color:  Being an Oregon Duck fan, it pains me to say this, but I love orange.  It also depends on my mood though... green is right up there as is blue.

G - Gold or Silver:  white gold or silver

H - Height:  5'8", although I think I might be shrinking.  I will forever claim 5'8" though, even if I've never been quite there.

I - Instruments you Play:  I pretend to play the piano.  Played the flute in jr. high, it was either that or do choir... I can't sing.

J - Job Title:  Stay at Home Mom a.k.a Multitasker Extraordinaire

K - Kids:  4 crazies:  Emmeline (7), Calvin (5 1/2), Leona (2 1/2), Jonathan (1)

L - Live:  Oregon... I love my state.

M - Mom's Name:  Janet

N - Nickname:  I don't know if you've read my "all about me" page, but one of the things that I used to really dislike about my name was that it couldn't be shortened, I never really had a nickname.  All of my kids have nicknames (Emme, Noni, Jonny/JS... except Calvin although if he ever wants to go by Cal he can).  My parents used to call me Lucy and to my siblings I was "Queen Laurie" but that was a self-proclaimed title.

O - Overnight Hospital Stays:  4 (one for each kid) although I think I stayed 2 nights with Jonny and it was so nice and quite there at the hospital. Plus the bed moved up and down, my food was brought to me and the nurses left me along because I guess they assumed I knew what I was doing.  I had 3 other kids waiting for me at home, I was in no rush to get there... it was almost like a mini vacation, outside of the whole giving birth thing.  :)

P - Pet Peeve:  I can't stand it when people clip their fingernails in public... or even worse, floss their teeth.  Yuck.

Q - Quote from a Movie:  "I don't know if it's worth $5 but it's pretty (freaking) good."

R - Right or Left Handed:  Right

S - Siblings:  4 younger brothers and 1 younger sister

T - Time you Wake Up:  It absolutely depends on the day and my schedule, but I think it would take planets aligning to keep me in bed past 7am.

U - Underwear:  In our house we like to call them "unders".  Never with my running clothes, is that TMI?  As for everyday wear, some things are better left a secret.  :)

V - Vegetable you Dislike:  Green Beans.  Dislike is a very generous word too, detest, loathe, abhor, despise... now we're talking

W - What Makes you Late:  Life and life most directly related to the letter K above.  I HATE being late but can't think of the last time I was early for anything... barely on time, maybe.

X - Xrays you've Had Done:  Nada

Y - Yummy Food you Make:  I think I make some pretty decent chicken enchiladas and also lasagna.  Also a really tasty chocolate cake with chocolate frosting.... mmmm, I think I know what Jonny is going to have for his birthday on Saturday.

Z - Zoo Animal Favorite:  I guess I'll say penguins, because I do love penguins, but they are soooo stinky and I don't like to watch them for too long.

11 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

I love this post.
40 really isn't that bad, honest, though I wouldn't mind being 31 either.

Meredith said...

I have a Jonathan that is ALMOST one--- in one month from today, actually! Your kiddos are beautiful!! :)

Angela said...

Laurie, there's nothing wrong with admitting you like orange, LOL!!!! I guess, if I'm being truthful, I like green and yellow is a close third.

You sure don't look anything like a 31 year old.

L.B. said...

My girls are 7 and 5 (2nd grade and K), and their clothes piles up like no other. I can't imagine throwing more clothes on top of that. I don't know, maybe 7 is early enough for laundry duty... by 10 for sure, no?


"Did you just order a five dollar shake? That's a shake, that's milk and ice cream... Just checking."

Julie said...

You can totally shorten your name. I had a friend named Jennifer and her nickname was "fer". You are now to be called "rie".
:D

I'm a shrinking 5'8", too, but you'll NEVER hear me say I'm 5/7" - I'll just try to stand up taller.

misszippy said...

Laundry for four kids must be overwhelming! I barely keep up with two.

I hated turning 40, but after a few years, I've settled into it. But 50? Now THAT's gonna be scary!

P said...

You crack me up, and now I'm hungry for alphabet soup, too. :)
Being in your 40s is waaaaaay better than I expected, nothing to fear here. Like Zippy said, though, 50 sounds scary!

Amanda@runninghood said...

I love reading these! I don't like wearing undies with my workout clothes all the time either but with my yoga pants I have to or I end up sporting some lovely camel toe. Ha!

4 kids plus laundry...wooo weee. And with boys it is even harder. My son always has dirty clothes but usually I just keep them on him anyway. Poor kid. :)

Joleane said...

Not even dental X-rays? (says the former dental assistant) :)

I too HATE green beans, but LOVE my state, Oregon.

Hope Jonny's having a great birthday!

Stephanie said...

I happen to know for a fact that you are an AMAZING cake maker/decorator. :) I think you rock. Fun post.

FruitFly said...

Being a Beaver and knowing your Oregon alliance, I was completely shocked at the orange! Yay! :-) It is an underrated color I think - and that isn't just because my high school and college had orange and black.

I'm a piano & flute player, too! Go us!

I shuddered at the nail clipping ... I couldn't agree more!!! I know of people clipping them here at work. Grosses me out so much!