Saturday, February 5, 2011

This will never be a food blog...

nor will I ever be confused with Betty Crocker, Rachael Ray or even Marie Callender for that matter.  I love, love, love to look at pictures of food on blogs and in cookbooks.  Those blogs that criss cross back and forth between food and running/tri blogs like Bertie's Bakery could entice me for hours.  I aspire to be as cool as those people that can make delicious dishes and photo document the entire process, like this one.  I only have one small problem... I can't cook.  Every so often, I'll get lucky (with recipes that is... ha ha) and I do have a few tried and true recipes that I hit out of the park, but it seems that more often than not when I'm trying something new, it just doesn't pan out.  Take this morning for example...

I wanted to make something tasty for breakfast.  Something sweet and breakfasty like orange cranberry muffins.  Yummm.  So after googling a few different times, I came up with the perfect recipe... the one that I had all the ingredients for.  I was so excited, it was going to be tasty, my kids were going to beg for more and Dan was going to wake up to wafting smells of excellence.  As I stood mixing in the kitchen, with a crying and impatient Jonny at my feet ("give me breakfast now!!") I thought about taking pictures of the ingredients being added to document perfection in the making but since time was of the essence (now Leona and Emme were chiming in on the hungry cries) I opted to just mix and go.  Finally all ingredients were mixed, placed in the oven and baking away.  Eighteen short minutes later (a good six minutes longer than called for) and the muffins were as done as they were going to ever be.  Here is where the pictures had to come in.  I absolutely had to document and share my complete and epic failure.



When carefully scooped from their holder, the muffins could possibly be confused for a cranberry upside down cake... if there was such a thing and if it consisted of a caramelized cookie like top, bready insides and gooey cranberry bottom that is.  Three of my kids said they were really good (I have them trained well), but proceeded to not finish even one and the fourth kid just crumbled his up and threw it on the floor... I probably shouldn't be offended by that though as he does it with most of his food.  When Dan saw them he asked if they were bean muffins, upon which he followed up with "are the from scratch?"  Hmmm, is it that obvious?!  Lesson learned... next time I'll just go for my run and leave out the cold cereal for the kiddos.

13 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

ha ha, this made me laugh. I love the part where you say ...."nor will I eve be confused with BEtty Crocker, Rachael Ray or even Marie Callender for that matter.". Me neither. I do not like to cook. I can cook but don't enjoy it. We did make some cute cupcakes last night for fun. These look delicious all the same...who cares if they didn't turn out quite as planned. :)

I'm so impressed with how you run so many miles with your jogger stroller. How do you do it? I mean, when you do get to run without it, do you just love it or do you not mind the stroller so much?

ErinandShane said...

LOL, I like this post. Next time use Jiffy muffin mix they cost $.50 and take 14 minutes! And if you'd like hide the box and say they are homemade. They really aren't that bad for a 50 cent meal.

LB said...

hahahaha, i hate to cook too! every once in a while i will have a good cooking moment, but they are fleeting. thank GOD hubs loves to cook!

me/mom/NANA said...

Your father-in-law thinks they look fine and he says if you don't like them, just add a scoop of vanilla ice cream and they will all be eaten in no time. Now he wants me to make some. Thanks a lot. :0(

Party of Nine said...

I think it looks good! More like a dessert than a breakfast muffin :) Good job and the best part is you did it out of love for your husband and children!

Run with Jess said...

Too funny! Man, I hate it when I find a new recipe and then it turns out that way!

mom 2 said...

So funny. Try again, it might work the next time.

XLMIC said...

I think they look pretty tasty :)

I am a pretty lame cook... which you would know from reading my blog... lol. My stuff usually burns, though.

I am just now at the ripe old age of 47 starting to enjoy cooking. I advocate for giving it a second chance ;-)

FruitFly said...

I feel so bad for laughing. The one child crumpling it up and throwing it on the floor did it for me. I couldn't keep a straight face!

Jill said...

In my kitchen with my abilities, I'd consider those muffins a huge success. You didn't know me back in June when I started the oven on fire making a birthday cake for my daughter's boyfriend. But I don't think my kids ever threw the food on the floor so you are one step up the ladder! :)

Janet said...

Hey, you just need to get your landlord to get you an oven that works. I'm sure they would have been purfect given a good oven. They look pretty good considering an oven that never gets the inside done and always burns the outer edges. Good job, I could never do well with your oven and I have been told I'm a good cook.

Emz said...

freaking love this.

best
photos
ever.

eating on a plate id over-rated. Eatting in the tin is where it's at.

Julie D. said...

You may have invented a new recipe for cranberry upside down muffins...looks good to me!