Sunday, February 13, 2011

Somebody Stole Uranus

Saturday, I had the opportunity to run the farthest I've run to date (by about a mile),  18 miles.  Friday we were out of town for Dan's grandfather's funeral and didn't get home until after midnight but I didn't want that to keep me from getting up early to get my run in.  I overzealously set my alarm for 5am but happily snoozed until just after 6 and even then I was barely moving so Jonny and I didn't get out the door until almost 7.  The route I had previously decided on combined my favorite 6 mile loop with my favorite 12 miler that "figure eighted" around my house.  I'll be honest, the first 6 miles didn't feel very good, it was hard to pass up my house and head out for 12 more however there was no way I was going to stop 1/3 of the way in and it did appear that everyone inside was still asleep.  So, onto my run...

My fuel of choice for the run was a Vanilla Orange Roctane Gu, (compliments of Darlene of My First 5K and Jill's awesome blog Christmas present exchange, thanks ladies!) which sounds like it should be some sort of rocket fuel.  It tasted a lot like a melted creamsycle, which is probably pretty yummy, in fact I think my husband would've loved it.  Problem is, I don't much care for creamsicles when they are in their frozen form so it wasn't my favorite flavor, but I chose it because it had "2x caffeine"... can you say "HELLO! and Good morning, time to wake up!".  Since it's a rare occasion that I drink caffeine (no coffee and rarely soda) I was still buzzing after I finished up the run.  Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself...

The "roctane" sent me on a mission through the solar system to visit the planets orbiting the sun.  Before you think I've lost my mind, Alton Baker Park in Eugene, which was on part of my route Saturday has a scale model of the solar system with some of the most distant planets scattered miles outside of the park.  As I was exploring the galaxy I saw some pretty strange things.  First up, I happened across this lovely tree, that oddly enough seemed to be growing tires...
but that wasn't the only odd tree on my trip, there was another tree that was growing shoes.  It didn't appear to be very fruitful, only producing one shoe at a time:
I didn't make it all the way to Pluto as my turn around point came before it, but I figured that since Pluto is not technically a planet anymore my mission to visit all the "planets" could still be complete.  If it's any consolation I did get a picture of an all green mallard duck, which I thought was kind of odd:
I also managed to visit most of the other planets, but, unfortunately, when I got to Uranus, every jr. high boy's favorite planet (ha ha, she said Uranus, get it Ur anus... ha ha ha), it had gone missing:
That's right, somebody stole the poor little planet right off its pedestal.  Had it been there, it would have looked a little bit more like Saturn...
although, probably a fair amount smaller and hopefully without the graffiti.  I think Neptune was missing as well, but let's be honest, Neptune just isn't the draw that Uranus is.  With less than 3 miles of my run left, I passed by Jupiter, which led to the awesome elementary school chant "Boys go to Jupiter to get more stupider, girls go to Mars to get more candybars" that cycled through my head for the remaining miles of my run.  (Funny thing, I just googled that saying to make sure I was getting it right and it turns out that most kids that grew up in the 80's finished it with "girls go to college to get more knowledge"... good to know that even my "playground education" in southern Oregon was a little off.)

Anyway, my run did actually go quite well, despite the slow start.  Jonny slept the entire time and I actually felt like I finished pretty strongly.  (I think that roctane really kept me going as I was still pretty wound up long into the afternoon.) I took a nice ice bath (which I do not recommend in a cold house in the winter) then spent the rest of the day wearing both pairs of my compression socks and about 20 layers trying to warm back up.  The sock/ice bath combo must have worked pretty well though, because I felt surprisingly well today and even managed to walk around for 3 hours in one of my higher pair of heels... although my head is swimming and my sinuses are throbbing and all my joints ache, however I think that has nothing to do with my run and everything to do with the 4 slimy kids that are climbing all over me all day, every day, with their gross & slimy germs.  Bleh.

In case you want the stats, here they are:
18.14 miles
2:39:34 (8:48 pace)
which brought my weekly distance to 44.3 miles (another all time high for me)

Oh... P.S. Happy Valentine's Day! ♥♡♥

16 comments:

Janet said...

Sounds like it was a good run. Happy Valentines day to you. :o)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Great job this week! 44+ miles is awesome!

Dick said...

Good job, Laurie! 18 miles with Jonny in a stroller...pretty impressive!

Cool looking duck! His coloration makes him look more like a pigeon than a duck. Since it rains non-stop in Eugene are the pigeons turning growing webs between their toes and hanging out with mallards?

Happy Valentine's Day to you too.

LB said...

awesome!!! what an interesting place to run!!! when i used to eat gu (before my dry heaving incident LOL) i used to love roctane and the others 2x caffeine!!! always gave me a good JOLT!

Julie @ Hotlegs Runner said...

happy valentine's day to you too! =) I love GU roctane! =)

Small Town Runner said...

Whenever I read your blog, I cannot believe that you do your long runs with a stroller!! You must be really meshing with that thing :) ! So amazing.

It looks like your training is going really well, Laurie.

Have faith in your training, taper & goal pace for racing, it looks to me like you could have a FANTASTIC debut!

Kovas said...

Might be a good thing to miss Uranus on a run.

misszippy said...

You saw some interesting stuff out there! You never know...

XLMIC said...

Awesome run, Laurie! Wow!

Are you sure it was just caffeine in that GU and not maybe some hallucinogens? some of those pictures and ramblings are awfully 'creative'! lol

Run with Jess said...

great run!

Adrienne said...

Sounds like a great run but I agree on the ice bath's. I don't run far enough right now to need those but when I did I still cringed and usually skipped them most the time. Pretty amazing that you can go 18 miles with a kid in a stroller....that right there is impressive.

Emz said...

You
Had
Me
At
Uranus.

P said...

Congrats on a great run!! This post cracked me up (as usual) with the odd trees and the all-green mallard in lieu of Pluto the non-planet. You see the best stuff on your runs!

BeePieRuns said...

Just think how fast you will be when you don't have to run with the jogger! Awesome job!!

FruitFly said...

Some day I want to drive up to Eugene for my long run so I can experience some new trails and scenery. I'll have to head there and see the planets! I think I've done two races in that area and never noticed any. I should pay more attention from now on!


Put me in the 12 year old boy category. Uranus still cracks me up every time!!

Callie. said...

Laurie, you are awesome. You are hard core. I wish I was more like you!!