Saturday, February 19, 2011

Randomness from my week

It's been a super crazy, busy week and I fear next week isn't going to be much better.  I've barely been blogging and been reading blogs even less so I definitely feel disconnected from the happenings of the running world.  Here are some random happenings from my week:

I've been doing a little window shopping.  Mostly looking at things that I won't be buying anytime soon, if ever. Do you ever do that?  If I have time to waste, the Internet is an amazing place to waste it.  I'm sure you're familiar with the CSN online stores.  I was cruising around on there the other day, looking at jogging stroller accessories, shoes and other random things when I came across the Eames lounge chair which looks amazingly comfortable.  It has  been around since the mid 1950's and, according to Wikipedia (which is where I've learned everything I could ever need to know) appears quite frequently in pop culture.  Thanks to CSN, I'll be doing a review for you soon, no, not for the amazingly expensive (but well worth it I'm sure) iconic furniture piece but for some other great item.  Hooray!

Valentine's day was awesome.  Dan's sister was in town and so we hit up the Duck Store while the kids were at school.  Then that night she watched the kids while Dan and I went out for a quick but very enjoyable date.  We went to a great little Mexican/Salvadoran restaurant that was super speedy and very tasty.  The waitress was really nice and I loved that the decorations were basically "a cover every empty space with something" sort of approach... it somehow just worked. They had a special Valentine's meal for 2 that featured a 3 course meal and about 20 shots of Tequila... we didn't do that but Dan enjoyed some really tasty pupusas and I had chicken enchiladas.  More than anything is was just a lot of fun to get out together and enjoy a quite meal to ourselves.  (Thanks Elizabeth!)  Dan also surprised me with some beautiful flowers the day after Valentine's Day because "who gets flowers the day after Valentine's?!"... what a sweetie.

maybe he doesn't want to walk because
he knows it will mean the end of him
cruising around backpack style in our house
while I try to get stuff done
Jonny has finally started to walk more than crawl.  It's not exactly like he is being a slow walker (he won't be a year old until March 5th) it's just that he's been standing and taking steps for over 2 months.  If it was me and I had to crawl around on my hands and knees on a cold, hard floor all day, I would've started walking a looooong time ago.  But, that's just me, what do I know about being a baby?

I haven't gotten my hair cut yet.  I think I know where I'm going to go but I haven't called to make an appointment.  I'm hoping to do it soon though... maybe next Thursday or Friday when life starts slowing back down again.  If I do, I promise I'll post some before and after pics.  Until then it will just be more "messy buns" and headbands, you know, the "I look like I just got done running or out of the shower" look that I'm so famous for.

As for running, I did my first 20 mile run this morning and it went alright.  My knee started hurting a bit Thursday afternoon and most of Friday so I iced and stretched and rested and promised to take my long run today super easy and even shorten it if I needed to.  When I woke up this morning though, it didn't hurt at all so I headed out.  It continued to feel fine for about the first mile then after that it was just kind of a background pain after that.  I thought about shortening the run but really wasn't too uncomfortable so I just took it easy.   There really wasn't anything spectacular about the run.  I left a little after 4:30am because my kids had a church activity at 9:30 and I wanted to have time for shower and an ice bath and breakfast before we had to leave.  I basically had Eugene to myself.  As I went through the U of O campus I got to see a couple of cops ambush a poor girl for making a rolling stop through a four way stop sign and when I got down by the river there was someone on the opposing bank with a headlamp going about the same pace as me, but that was about it.  Mostly it was just peaceful and kind of chilly. As I was finishing it up I got really happy because, hey, I just ran 20 miles!

Hope you've all had a great week.  I hope to check into your blogs soon and say hello.  Happy running!

7 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

BIG HUGE congrats on 20 miles. Way to go!

me/mom/NANA said...

Good to see your post...I have missed hearing your reports this week.

Amanda@runninghood said...

NIce job Laurie! You're awesome!

XLMIC said...

So glad the knee cooperated and you got to do your 20 :) Awesome!

I have a March 6 boy and a March 7 girl! Love these Pisces kids :)

Liz said...

I'm a constant window shopper. I've actually been "window shopping" for wedding dresses. I'm already married and have no plans on ever needing another wedding dress, but I really love weddings.

It probably doesn't help that I keep dreaming I'm Kate Middleton, future Princess of England. lol.

Run with Jess said...

Ummm, YEAH - 20 miles!! Of course, you should feel great! Congrats!

Janet said...

Good job! I can't even imagine running 20 miles let alone a marathon. I sure hope your knee holds up for you. Have a good week.