Thursday, February 10, 2011

Randomness from my run today

1.  It's amazing how much easier the jogging stroller goes when the tires are inflated.  I noticed last week they were kind of low but didn't take the time to pump them up.  Let me just say, the only thing harder than pushing a jogging stroller is pushing a jogging stroller with flat tires.  The problem is I never really realize how much more work I'm doing until after I've finally taken the time to pump them up and the stroller basically rolls by itself.  Maybe next time I won't put it off for so long.

She's not asleep as she now refuses
to nap in the stroller, just very absorbed
in Dora.
2.  Today on our run I brought along our portable DVD player and a Dora movie.  I had been thinking about doing this for a while but in all honesty worried that the people we passed would think I was a bad mom for plugging my kid up to the TV while we were running.  Then, the other day I saw a post by Tall Mom where she talked about doing that very same thing.  I figured if it works for her, than it works for me too.  Let me just say, if you get past the fact that I had to listen to Dora for 9 miles, our run today went much more smoothly than normal.  I tried to smile at everyone we passed, like I usually do, and I'm sure that most of it was in my head, but it seemed like I got a lot more scowls back.  I, of course, assumed this meant that they disapproved of my parenting skills.  On the other hand, had Leona not had the DVD player, I would have assumed that they disapproved of my parenting skills because I took my kids for a run in the cold weather.  Probably they didn't care about me or my kids at all, just weren't feeling too smiley.


3.  I always see all kinds of graffiti when I run along the river. Actually I see all kinds of graffiti when I run almost anywhere around town.  There is one spot on the bike path that says "Rasputin Sees All" and has a couple big eyes.  Sometimes I see things that make me happy or laugh though.  I while back there was some tagging that said "Will you marry me?"... can you say romantic... or maybe not so much.  Today I saw a couple different things.  First there was a happy daisy that made me smile:
 Then there was this masterpiece:
Which I have to say kind of confused me a bit.  Had it said "smoke me" or "legalize me" it would have made more sense.  Maybe it's an anti-smoking campaign and they want everyone to burn down their plants... I don't know.

4.  I happened to be trying to get a picture of the above leaf when I noticed that I had missed two calls from Calvin's school saying that he was itching and needed to go home.  Actually the exact message said, "Calvin is so itchy he can't pay attention in class.  He said that he got into the insulation in your attic and that you knew about it but sent him to school anyway. Please call us as soon as you can."  Yeah, so last week when the kids were supposed to be getting ready for swimming lessons they thought it would be a brilliant idea to explore our attic, the attic that has been taped closed by our landlord and is really a glorified crawl space filled with insulation and probably asbestos and mice poop.  Needless to say they all came out itchy, but Calvin, the ring leader of the group, got it the worst.  Well today I sent him to school in the same pants he wore last week for his "adventure" (in my defense they had been washed twice).  No, I did not know he was itchy when he left for school.  Luckily I was on the last mile of my run and could go right by the school where we picked him up, ran him home, showered him, changed his clothes and took him back to school... much to his dismay as he thought he'd be done for the day.  Turns out all he missed was recess.  

5.  Even through all the back and forth between Calvin's school and the Dora jingles going on next to him, this sleepy little guy still had to be awakened when it was time to go in for good. 
I sure wish I could sleep like that.

12 comments:

XLMIC said...

Lol@what he told the school! My son once told his teacher that I didn't allow him to wear underwear. A dvd to get the run in! How brilliant! No bad mommy votes from me ;-)

Alanna said...

#1 - my friend felt so bad that my stroller's tires were flat yesterday that she pumped them up for me while I was running hills. I never notice the difference, but my husband hates flat tires.

#2 - Gotta get me one of those! So much better than hearing "can we go home?" for over an hour. If anyone looks at you judgmentally you should ask if they want to run 9 miles with a whiner... :p

#3 - I vote it was drawn by someone who has never smoked it. Maybe that's what they thought you do with it? I think only the cops incinerate pot. Mind you, here they just turn a blind eye.

Adrienne said...

Reading your posts make me feel so much better. Maybe because I feel like I'm not the only mom out there having crazy days. I think the dvd in the stroller is awesome!

P said...

I totally doubt anyone even noticed the DVD player when you whizzed past them, speedy girl!!

Kovas said...

Graffiti can be so cool, shame so often it isn't.

Kristin @NyceLife said...

DVD in the stroller= brilliant. I bet those moms in their mini vans using the dvd to run though the McD's drive through don't have guilt, why in the heck should you, no worries! My one son is ALWAYS going up in the attic near the insulation, then complains when he's itchy...

Kristin @NyceLife said...

Just re-read my comment above- I wasn't comparing you to the drive through moms, was saying that what you were doing was great(running)...hope that was clear, lol

Amanda@runninghood said...

You are supermom! My goodness, how do you do it? So funny what he told the school. And funny that you had enough mommy energy to take him home, shower him and get him back to school. Ha ha! I would have just been too lazy and kept him home for the day. Your pictures of the "art" are funny. Definitely something you'd see in Eugene. :)

Jill said...

cutie pictures! and no shame on the dvd...it won't ruin your kids!! haha

I just had to comment on the "this will never be a cooking blog"....I got laughing over this when yesterday I was trying to be all dive betty crocker and all and make homemade pizza dough for the kiddos! Um, well....did you know that oil and water are not interchangeable?? who'd have thunk it?? I got wondering about this odd lump, thinking this was some interesting idea of dough....and got reviewing the instructions.....Oh that said WATER not OIL!! duh alert!! geesh!! Anyways, I will not have a food blog either girl, that is for sure!! ok, so take care and happy running!!- Jill

Jill said...

um...takeout dive and make that DIVA!! I need coffee.

S Club Mama said...

good for you making him go back to school LOL

stop by my blog, I have a Gu and Ryders giveaway going on http://thesclub.blogspot.com/2011/02/outside-pr-review-giveaway.html

FruitFly said...

I would LOVE to be able to just be passed out and bundled up like your last photo! Looks so comfy and peaceful!

I still don't get the "burn me" either. I would have pondered that one as well!