Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Not So Good at Math

I have a Bachelor's Degree in English Literature with an unofficial emphasis on 18th century, British authors.  Do you know what this means?  It means outside of the required college algebra course (and the statistics class I took during that brief period where I was debating between being a dental hygienist and a clinical psychologist) I didn't take any math courses in college.  I don't think it's a coincidence that when I finally decided on a degree it was in the one area that required no upper division math credits.  I hate math.  Plain and simple, it is definitely not one of my strong suits.  Give me a book to read and a paper to write and I'm golden.  Ask me to add anything higher than the number of fingers I have (and toes if it's summertime) and, well, don't hold your breath for a quick answer.

This background in my math history brings us to today.  Here's what was on tap:
8 miles with 3x1600 and 800 recovery jogs.
I had it all planned out.  I would do a 1 mile warm up to the track then do my 1600's with their recovery jogs and repeat my mile back home for a cool down.  Luckily as I was laying there last night dreading thinking about today's workout it dawned on me that I was waaaay off.  I had been counting the 800 recoveries as miles and therefore was quite short in my overall calculations.  Okay, no big deal, I would just increase my 1 mile warm up to 1.5 miles and I'd be good to go.  (Yeah, still not going to well on my math but didn't realized it at the time.)

So, this morning, I headed out.  Ran a few loops around my neighborhood then headed to the track... 1.5 miles.  Did my mile repeats and their subsequent recoveries.... 4.5 miles.  Got ready to head the 1mile back to my house but happened to look at my watch to see "6.08".  Wait!?  That should say at least 7 miles!  At first I got ready to curse and swear at my Nike+ Sportband, but then realized there is no way it could be a whole mile off after such a short amount of running (most of which was around the track).  So, I took off my mittens, pulled out my fingers and started counting.  1+4=5+.5+.5=6!!  You have got to be kidding me!  I still had 2 more miles to go if I was going to get in the entire 8 miles.  Normally this wouldn't have been such a big deal but the only thing that kept me going on the last mile repeat was the promise to myself that I only had a short cool down left when it was over.  Now, instead of heading home, like I soooo wanted to do, I had to double the distance of the return trip.  Grrrrrr.  I however wasn't frustrated with myself enough to short the distance so I ran the 1 mile bark trail loop by the track and headed home.

I already knew I struggled with math, now you know it too.  I think in the future I'll have Dan double check my mileage plan before I head out the door (just like he should probably do when we play any game that requires adding scores).

11 comments:

Tricia said...

ha! totally sounds like something I would do. I SUCK at math.

great job sticking it out

Emz said...

hilarious.

yes, that's my excuse too when I add up game scores wrong. ;)

P said...

Ha, ha!! You should've seen me reading this post - I was counting out loud and using my fingers! Your math seemed fine with me. :)

LB said...

haha!! i cant even do simple addition or subtraction. you should see me at a blackjack table HAHAH!

Run with Jess said...

Hahahaha!
Thankfully, I'm pretty good w/math and all the mile calculations - but my some of my friends are not. They are always calling with the funniest (to me) questions!

BeePieRuns said...

Arrgh! That IS frustrating! I find that the further I run the more my math skills deteriorate.

racing dawn said...

i feel your pain...running math is sooo hard...

i think back to my pre-garmin days and wonder how the heck i ever calculated anything... :)

FruitFly said...

If it makes you feel any better I still don't even know what 3X1600 & 800 recovery jogs means! I figure AFTER the Eugene Marathon weekend I'll start working up to fancy math equations for my runs. Maybe! ;)

XLMIC said...

Ugh. I did that about a month ago :(

I didn't make up the difference... I ran shorter :P

The Running Mama said...

ha! i have so been there. i swear it was right when i left the house!

Liz said...

I've been there. My students make fun of my math skills all the time. I tell them I'm a teacher of literature; I never professed to be a math wiz. Give me a book, and I can teach it. Need to break my class of 29 into 6 groups... this is where my math fails me. :)