Thursday, February 24, 2011

BOB Stroller Recall

If you have a BOB Stroller, there is a very good chance that it is being recalled.  Almost 350,000 single and duallie strollers that were sold in the US and Canada are being recalled to do a strangulation risk.  According to the BOBgear website:
A drawstring on the stroller can get wrapped around a child’s neck, posing a strangulation hazard. Out of an abundance of caution, BOB is voluntarily recalling this product.
This recall involves BOB® Strollers manufactured between April 2002 and March 2010. The name “B.O.B” appears on the cargo basket of the strollers. Additionally, all the recalled strollers are most easily identified by a yellow Drawstring at the rear of the canopy.
Ironman Duallie
 The fix is actually an easy one and the site details how you can easily remove the cord that is causing the concern.  If you also use the weather or sun shield then BOB is offering a free "Canopy Retrofit Kit".  For more information on the recall and to check to see if your stroller is one being recalled, visit the BOB website here.

My stroller is actually one of the affected ones and since I used the weather shield almost daily, I've already requested the repair kit.  Looks like it should be an easy fix.

3 comments:

Teamarcia said...

EEK! I had one but sold it. I'll let the new owner know. Thanks for the heads up!

XLMIC said...

You are such a good samaritan for letting us know! I always have trouble keeping on top of recalls on my kids' stuff.

Alanna said...

Thanks for the notice. I'm sure my mum would have emailed me, but it was nice to get my request in sooner rather than later. I'm kind of surprised that it's taken them 9 years to discover this problem (or for someone to complain).

I like the note in the instructions that says to remove the cord, but that you shouldn't use the rain shield if you don't have the retrofit yet. Since I'm unwilling to stop running or have my child get soaked until the kit comes I guess I'll live with the cord for now.