Monday, January 3, 2011

The Strike is Over

Over the summer, due to travel and general lack of responsibility on my part, I managed to accrue $9.50 in library charges for overdue books and reshelving fees for books I had requested but never picked up. During this time, my library card also came up for renewal and rather than "(wo)man up" and pay the fees I decided to take a very long (like close to 6 months) hiatus from library visits.  Well, today, the last day of winter vacation, brought an end to my self-imposed library ban and brought me (and the kids by default) back into good standing with the Eugene Public Library, which is actually a great thing because I really do love our library and look forward to spending more time there.  The kids were overjoyed and kept saying how great it was to be back at the library because we haven't gone there in "infinity years".











So, what brought about this change of heart on my part you ask?  Well, besides having a bit of Christmas WAM (walking around money) with which to pay my fines, I received an email from the library letting me know that a book I requested they purchase was in and being held just for me.

Hooray!  I'm so excited, I've really been wanting to read this book.  I hope it's good or at least worth $9.50 plus the pricelessness that was keeping 4 kids at a "library appropriate" sound level for an hour.

What's the most you've ever paid the library at one time?  Are you currently reading any good books?  I'm always looking for suggestions... especially now that I can check books out again.

13 comments:

Julie said...

The Eugene Library was my home away from home when I was a kid. I was a BOOK WORM!

I recently paid $18 in fees to our local library. I let the kids check out like 50 or more books at a time and then we can never find them all. They recently upped my limit to 80 items per visit. Really? I think they know they'll be making $$ off of me :-)

Enjoy your book!

Slomohusky said...

fun! love the library as well. fun seeing your kiddos reading away!

racing dawn said...

yeah, i've paid 20 bucks to the county library. ridiculous. i got the books back to them, all in one piece, just a few weeks or months overdue. come on... :) born to run is on my must read list for the winter, but i'll be anxious to hear how you enjoyed your long awaited choice!

Adrienne said...

$9.50 on a good day sister! Just sign all your kids up with their own card then rotate. There are 6 of us so we should be good for a bit :)

Heather said...

I usually wait for the Christmas amnesty program and bring in canned goods!!

Let me know how the book is.

Courtney said...

I'm currently reading "Water for Elephants" and I love it. I'm going through books like crazy right now cause I'm loving the kindle I got for Christmas. :)

Amanda@runninghood said...

i love books! And we love love love the library. What a fancy library you have too! :) I'm reading too many books and not enough of any of them because of blog reading. :)

P said...

1.) I love your nail polish.
2.) Your library is awesome!!
3.) I'm pretty sure that $9.50 is one of the lowest fines I've ever paid. Like Julie, I go to the library at least once a week and check out a million books then can't ever find them when they're due. Oh, well. Still totally worth it.
4.) I've been wanting to read that book too and can't wait to hear how you like it.

Tortuga_Runner said...

So guilty of this one. I have paid upwards of $20+

Kovas Palubinskas said...

We use our library constantly, one of our favorite family outings!

Janet said...

Wow I've never paid more than a dollar and I thought that was bad. I like your pictures.

Marci said...

I'm so happy for you guys. I'm currently building up my own fine because although I've gone through the entire house, there is no sign of "Alternacrafts" which is a book that I didn't even like.

FruitFly said...

I really admire you for just owning up to it and paying the fine and going back. Why? Because in the 10th grade, (or was it 11th?) I had a VERY over-due book. I have no idea what the late fee must have been on it. I was so scared of it that I still have never used my library card! I mean that was the early/mid 90's and I'm still in hiding. Now if I ever want to check something out I beg my mom to let me use her card. I really hope they just wrote that off. Oh my gosh, what if there's interest?? See? This is why I can not be a grown up like you. I'm just too scared!!