Saturday, January 8, 2011

Run Your Thorns Off (Virtual) 5K Race Report

So, today marked the date for the first annual Run Your Thorns Off Virtual 5K put on my none other than Adam aka The Boring Runner.  Late last summer, he held a much more exclusive (and somewhat secretive) race the Sweat Your Thorns Off 5K that he and 3 other Arizona locals participated in.  It looked like a great time was had by all, so when he opened up this colder version of the same race to the general blogging public I jumped on board... well actually I put off signing up until it was almost too late but I did in fact sign up and run the race so that has to count for something right?  Anyway....

I've barely run at all in the past two weeks and thought this race would be a great way to kill myself plunge head first back into the running scene.  I, in all honesty, dreaded running it and almost didn't, but when this morning rolled around and I saw the beautiful running weather...
I decided that I couldn't bail on a free race, virtual or not.  So, to fully embrace the "freeze your thorns off theme" I dressed for success in my best summer running gear
then realized I was kind of attached to my thorns and didn't want to freeze them off so promptly went back in the house to channel my inner speed skater dress a little more appropriately.
I'm pretty sure I could never pull off the "bald look"  or the serious face look for that matter...
is it just me, or does my head look huge?!
Okay, enough fashion talk... I did finally get around to running, maybe I should tell you about that.

I chose a route that was a little over a mile from my house because I knew it would take me that long to get warmed up... I probably should've chosen some place a little bit farther away.  It. was. cold.  I had Jonny in the stroller and I'm so glad I grabbed some gloves as I headed out because even with them on my fingers were freezing.

After my warm up, I had to wait at an intersection for the magical crosswalk voice to say "Crosswalk is on to cross Franklin Blvd, 30, 29, 28..." for the race to start and I (we... can't forget about Jonny) were off.  Right away I knew it wasn't going to be very pretty, you (I don't know, maybe "you" can but I) can't take 2 weeks off and not have it hurt to try and run fast.  I just told myself, the faster you run the faster this will be over.  The nice thing about the course I chose is it is one that I run and race on frequently so it requires little thought... I just had to run.  Since I had the stroller, I also had my phone and thought I'd see how well I could take some pictures while I was cruising along.  For the most part I think it worked out pretty well:

Mile 1:  7:30ish * 
when I looked at the time I was just past mile 1 with a time of 7:32
Mile 2: 14:15 (6:45ish)

The first mile hurt.  The second mile hurt even more, but when I saw my split I was pretty excited and somewhat surprised that it didn't hurt more, considering I was negative splitting.  However, I wasn't sure that I could hold on for the third mile and a bit.  Then with less than a half mile left I came across a group of Oregon Track athletes and even though I wanted to die stop, cruising past them (pushing a jogging stroller by the way) was just the incentive I needed to bring it home.  It's not every day that one gets the opportunity to actually pass elite Division I runners... (okay, they were walking, probably on their way to do some insanely crazy workout like 20x1600 repeats, but still I passed them on my run today... I don't have to let everyone know they were walking... )

(I don't have a picture for Mile 3 it took all my concentration just to move my feet.)  
Mile 3:  21:45 (7:30ish)
3.11 22:05 (last .11:  :20ish)
average pace 7:06




Overall, it was probably a very beautiful, albeit foggy run that I would've enjoyed had I not been on the verge of puking my guts out.  I was not in 5K shape but I am pleased with my time nonetheless, not a PR, but definitely not a PW.  And in case you were wondering, no, Jonny didn't freeze any thorns off either... he stayed toasty warm and asleep the entire time:

Also, on my cool down home, I got to pass the Oregon Track guys again... so I passed them twice in one run... how cool am I?!  (Yes, they were still walking and must have stopped off for donuts or something.)

*all splits are slightly estimated due to my lame Nike+ sensor that doesn't give actual splits (or have a way to track shoe mileage, but that's another post another day).

19 comments:

XLMIC said...

Wow! That is awesome! To me, 22 min for 5K is pretty durn fast AND you were pushing a stroller! WTG!

ERG @ Elkton Runner said...

Haha! Too funny ! I know right where you were =D

I love the change of clothes and the fact that you sped right past those elites with the stroller.

Bravo!!

BTW...I just KNOW you are going to do SO WELL at Eugene =D

FruitFly said...

You are so freaking fast! And with a stroller, too! I think it is awesome you passed those speedy Oregon kids. I say you just omit the whole walking part, nobody really needs to know that little detail! ;)

I used to use a Nike+ sensor until I got tired of hearing it tell me I finished a 5K during races, only to see that I had at least 2/10 of a mile to go. That's when I got the Garmin and began a new love affair. There is still love for the Nike though - I just use BOTH now!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

That's an awesome time for a 5k! Great job!

Jill said...

Wowzie, that's super fast and with a stroller, to beat! Nice job (and man, those are really pretty fog pics!!)!!! btw, I'm thinking Adam needs to give us all virtuals one of those awesome finisher medals!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Oh MY! You are amazing!! This was so worth getting on the blogs for tonight before bed. Your rock...and this is with a stroller!! good grief lady! You're speedy. And your sweet baby....awww. love it!

Deanna@MilesToRun said...

Great job! I loved reading your recap. Sometimes fog makes for such beautiful runs, doesn't it?

Even with 2 weeks off, to me you are super fast.

Karen said...

You are flipping amazing! I ran 2 miles with my my jogging stroller this week and struggled to keep it under 12:00 per mile. I can't run a 22 min 5K even without a jogging stroller!

Julie said...

I love it! "The faster you run, the faster this will be over" - I tell that to myself all the time, but my legs won't obey me.

So cool to pass by the boyz going that fast and WITH a stroller!

Detroit Runner said...

Great run. Looks like a nice area for a run.

Andrew Opala said...

awesome ... you guys had a nicer day than I had ...

I wonder though, maybe when all my hair falls out ... I'll be faster too! (something to look forward to)

misszippy said...

Nice work! Especially pushing the bambino--so much harder!

E Rostron said...

Wow! You may have offically become my hero! You are totally rockin' the stroller for running Moms everywhere!

P said...

AWESOME! You are so flippin' fast, even with your vacay and the stroller.
I am still laughing about your "inner speed skater" line - you crack me up!!

racing dawn said...

ok, seriously...not running for 2 weeks and that killer 5k time? awesome... and passing with a stroller is one of my favorite things!

Rae said...

I love your pictures. You crack me yup! You are speedy girl!

Teamarcia said...

Spectacular time with a stroller, speedy girl! Everything looks so lush and green there still.

Adam said...

22 min is SO awesome - even w/out the kiddo!! To make it even better, you won some of the prizes on my virtual race!! Shoot me an email (reply to the comment) and claim your loot! (Directions on my blog)

Adam said...

Sorry I'm just now commenting on this....

AWESOME time. I'm sure it was mostly your lack of wind resistance in your super sleek speed skater tuck pose. :)