Monday, January 31, 2011

A run, a shiny new bike, and a monster sighting...

Saturday, while "vacationing" in Klamath Falls, I had the opportunity to be accompanied by my dad on my long run.  We've run together in the past, but this time he was going to be riding.  I wasn't exactly sure how well it would work for him but I was quite excited to have the company.  Friday night, he stopped by my grandma's and we plotted out our route.  Here's what it looked like:
The first 5 and last 3+ miles were on the very straight but very convenient OC&E Woods Line Trail that is my go to route when I'm visiting.  The middle miles were partly on a semi busy highway then mostly rural country roads with very little traffic.

The plan was for me to let my dad know when I left my grandma's then he would give me a head start before leaving his house and eventually catch up to me.  So, I told him I was leaving, then managed to dawdle find things I had to do for almost 5 more minutes before actually leaving.  It was a beautifully sunny day with temperatures not quite in the 30's when we left.
My dad caught up to me just a bit before I was 2 miles into the run.  I was surprised to see him sporting a new bike and some fancy tights.  I totally expected to see him ride up on his 30+ year old rust colored Raleigh but instead he rolled up in style on a beautiful shiny new Tommaso Aggraziato Pro that he scored from giantnerd.com.  Apparently he and one of my brothers will be competing in the Salt to Saint Relay this September and I guess felt the need to upgrade and start riding more often.

Shortly after crossing this bridge we passed some people my dad knew so he stopped to talk to them while I ran on ahead.  (This happened twice more... I think he knows everyone.)

There were lots of open fields... 
some had cows in them.
If you look really hard you can see Mt. Shasta off to the right.
Between miles 8 and 9, we came upon a lake that I didn't know existed.  
Nuss Lake. (Looked like a glorified pond to me).
I though maybe if I was quick with my phone, I could get a pic of the Nuss Lake Monster.
I thought I saw him, but my dad assured me it was just some coots.  
I'm still not sure.

I think my dad was wondering if I was getting delusional at this point...
either that or he was starting to get annoyed that I was playing "lets pretend we're in Scotland" while he was freezing his digits off.

The rest of the run went fairly well.  We passed some sort of utility truck that needed directions and since the guy had a daughter that he thought might have gone to school with my little sister my dad chatted him up for a bit while I ran on.  We also passed some chickens & a rooster but didn't get a picture, as well as some dogs that we thought might chase us but only wanted to guard their driveway.  My dad had lots of stories, especially about the cross country bike trip he and his brother took, long before I existed, that kept me entertained and kept the mileage ticking by.  

When we finished I made my dad pose for a picture with his shiny new bike:
and also the obligatory group shot... where I of course cut off our heads.

All-in-all, it was a great time!  Thanks dad.  My only complaint of the whole run is that my dumb Nike+ sensor was all over the place and finally ended up being an entire mile off, clocking us at 17.55 miles when I know we only did between 16.52 and 16.57.  Hopefully a little recalibration will help with that if not I think it's definitely time to start saving my pennies for something a little more advanced.

Also, I have to give a huge thanks to my mom, grandma and mother-in-law for keeping my 4 little ones entertained while I was out prancing around.  Thank you!

11 comments:

Dick said...

You're more than welcome, Laurie! The ride was a lot of fun (other than freezing my "digits" off)! It was nice to actually be able to TALK to you...instead of gasping for breath like I do when we run together.

P said...

So many things to say about this post, it'll be like my own little post:
- Your dad's ride is pretty sweet! How awesome that he's doing a relay with your brother.
- I think your dad is younger than me or he's just aging really, really well. No fair!
- Love all the pics, what a beautiful run and very nice weather.
- I'm still LMAO at the Nuss Lake monster!
- Thanks for the link to the definition for coots, I'd never heard of them before.
- Yes, you definitely need a Garmin!
- You totally ROCKED that run, great job!!

Heather said...

Great job. That's funny that your dad is like the mayor stopping to talk to everyone.
Also pretend tourism is a great idea!

FruitFly said...

I kept trying to get my Nike Plus calibrated ... I finally gave up and bought a Garmin. Even yesterday when I ran 9 miles, the Nike+ told me I did 9.56. Ah, if only!

That run looks like a blast. Believe it or not, but I've never been to the Klamath Falls area so I had no idea what it looked like! Must have been a lot of fun to have your social butterfly dad along for the ride!

Tom North said...

Nice job dad...hopefully when we do the race you won't be talking to everyone along the way though. And that looks like a pretty sweet run Laurie...good work!

XLMIC said...

Sounds like a very enjoyable LONG run! YAY!

And I also think I am older than your dad! How old is that youthful guy?

And how cool to see Shasta in the distance... for some reason I never realized it was that close to Klamath.

Julie D. said...

congrats on a great run. how fun to run/ride with your dad!

Adrienne said...

What a great post and great run/ride. I love that your dad was stopping and talking to everyone, so cool. Looks like a great place to run.

Tortuga_Runner said...

I tried Nike+ and had to return it because despite repeated re-calibration, it never was exactly right. I gave myself a Garmin this winter. With all the fabulous things you do, you totally have earned one.

Amanda - RunToTheFinish said...

wow that just looks completely beautiful!! so funny i used to be jealous of everyone with teh beach and now i miss trees and grass!

Stephanie said...

First off I wish I could run as far as you run! I miss running it's so much fun.... Never thought I would be saying that! After im done swimming hopefully my back/hip will go back to how they felt before and I can get back into running and we can run together.

Secondly sweet bike dad and cute tights haha. Anyway you are looking very very skinny! I miss you guys and love ya all!

Oh and I think I'm going to do that blog =) keep a look out for it