Monday, January 24, 2011

It's Monday!

Right now it's after 7:15am an all four of my children are still asleep in their own beds.  This is almost completely unheard of.  Of course today is a school day and I will have to wake them up shortly, very, very shortly but for right now I'm just going to savor the peace and quiet the morning still holds.  I only have on real question... why can't they sleep in like this on the weekend or at least on a day where there is no school?!

Anyway, in the world of marathon training Week 2 is a check.  I managed to not miss any runs despite the rampant coughing and wheezing occurring in our house.  Aaaannnndd, keeping my fingers crossed, the previously stated illness has yet to have its way with me, hopefully I can keep it at bay because it seems like a nasty one.

As for my actual workouts, they all went pretty well and despite my slight hiatus over winter break I'm feel like I'm quickly regaining my fitness level.  I had a great long run on Saturday.  Laura at Run Momma Run sponsored another group trail run that I eagerly took part in.  I combined it with my long run - running to and from the trail to get my mileage in.  It was so great to have some company, not to mention beautiful foresty (yes that is a word, or at least it is now) scenery (unfortunately I packed super light and couldn't take any pictures) during those middle miles of my run.  One of the ladies in the group lived on my route back home and volunteered to run back down the mountain with me too.  It made for a great time and definitely took my mind off the mileage.  In fact, I completely forgot to eat the Gu Chomps that I had brought with me and managed to run close to 16 miles without anything but water.  It's amazing what a little bit of company and conversation can do for a person.  I think I'll have to look into running with people (other than my kids) more often.

So here is this week's plan:
M - 9miles
T - cross train, probably weights & abs, maybe a little yoga
W - 8 mi with 5 @ 7:46
R - 8mi
F - cross train - in the form of driving to Klamath Falls for the weekend
Sa - 16mi (at altitude - maybe with my dad on his bike?)
Su - rest, rest, rest - maybe a nap?

What does your week look like, anything exciting planned?  The kids have Friday & Monday off from school so we're heading south to visit the grandparents.  Hope your Monday is off to a great start.  I better get those sleepy kids of mine up now.

13 comments:

misszippy said...

It's so true--my kids always choose school days to sleep in! Love group runs; don't know what I'd do without them!

Kristin @NyceLife said...

Ditto the kids sleeping in on school days thing. Though my oldest gets his bus at an ungodly 6:10 am so he is good about getting himself up early (I get up soon after and walk with him). I am afraid of group runs, haven't ever done one, I guess maybe I need to look into it!

ShutUpandRun said...

You must have been having fun if you missed eating the chomps. Great week for you!

Emz said...

Ok - that 16 maybe with my dad thing --- sounds awesome. How cool.

havedentalflosswilltravel.com said...

I love being active with my dad. We often hike and bike together, but I've never thought to ask him to join me on his bike for one of my long runs - what a great idea!

XLMIC said...

I so hear you on the kids sleeping in thing! On the weekend... just once... please!

That long run sounds like it was this side of heaven. I miss running with others.

I hope you get to do the run with dad on the bike... my husband used to do that for me. How great to have a dad who might be able to go along!

Wishing you the best with your week!

FruitFly said...

You really do make this whole running thing seem so easy! I'm glad that you do, too. I find myself always thinking of your posts when I am gearing up for my long ones, it always seems to help and give me some confidence that I CAN do this. So thanks!!

Glad you haven't gotten the sickness. And I was just like your kids .... I never wanted to get up on school days, but when vacation came I was the first one up and bored waiting for everybody else to join me!

Dick said...

Good grief, Laurie! With all the comments about running while I ride along on my bike, how could I NOT do it? Maybe I can actually stay up with you...and that way I can draft!! Let's just hope it's not snowing. See you in a couple of days.

Teamarcia said...

Hooray for sleeping kids!
Looks like a nice week ahead. we've got fever/sore throat running rampant around here so I'll be very happy if I get all of my workouts in.

Adrienne said...

I need to find myself some more group runs. They really do help the time pass and adult conversation is always nice after a day with little ones.

Chris said...

I agree about running with others. I definitely do better with running buddies!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Our kids do the same thing..but waking before them even for a few minutes of quiet is awesome.. Holy WOW that is a tough week, good luck!

Hope you feel better ASAP.

Heather said...

I hope you enjoyed your morning. And I a also hoping you get that planned nap on Sunday. (I hope I get one too!)