Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Ibex Woolies Crew Review - brightening up winter days everywhere

Slightly before Christmas the amazing ladies at Run Like a Mother hosted the 12 K's of the Holidays , where for 12 days they gave away various running related items, 12 the first day, 11 the second, 10 and so on, down to 1 fantastic prize on the last day.  Well, I was (along with two other luckies) lucky enough to win the Ibex Woolies Crew on Day 10.  I was super excited. I had 4 color options and decided to go with Chlorophyll because well, lets face it that is an awesome name but also it tends to get awfully grey and rainy here in Eugene during the winter so a little splash of neon green can go a long way.
from the Ibex website
Here is what Ibex has to say about their Woolies Crew:
Light as a feather, strong as anything: Ibex Woolies are our bestseller for a reason. Our 150 g/m2 18.5 merino ribbed fabric is superfine, next-to-skin baselayer luxury. Moisture managing and temperature regulating, our Woolies line is so popular, someone you're standing near right now is probably wearing them, and you don't even know it. Woolies is so light and comfy, they probably don't know they're wearing them, either.
and
The rib construction provides space for air permeability contributing to superior performance and excellent stretch and 
recovery. Naturally odor resistant, or "no stink" is a huge bonus. First layer on, last off, you'll be so comfortable you'll forget 
you're wearing anything! Machine washable.


My shirt arrived early last week and to say I was excited would be an understatement.  I LOVE to get things in the mail.  I know it may be lame and show how boring I am but checking the mail is one of the highlights of my day.  The shirt actually came from UPS or FedEx (don't remember sorry) which was even better because it means someone rang my doorbell and ran away before I could answer leaving behind a little package just for me.  Because I like to make myself wait for things, I set the package aside until I could accomplish a few loads of laundry and unload the dishwasher... ha ha yeah right, I had that package ripped open before I could get the door shut.

The first thing I noticed was the color... it was bright, even brighter than on the website... I loved it!  Then I actually touched it and it was like butter.  Seriously, it really was soooo soft.  I was also surprised at how stretch it was.  I don't know if this will make sense to you, but it was stretchy in just the right way.  Not the "look at the girl in the slinky stretchy shirt" kind of way but the "wow this is soft and stretchy but you wouldn't know it to look at it" kind of way.

I was afraid to put it on because I already loved it so much and I didn't want to ruin that feeling by having it not fit.  Fortunately though, it fit almost perfectly.  The only thing I would have changed were to give it slightly longer sleeves but that is because I have freakishly long arms and like my sleeves even freakishly longer, really too long because if you look at the below picture the sleeves are no where near being too short.  So in actuality, it fit perfectly.
Look at my rhododendron in the background trying to absorb the brightness of my shirt.

Yesterday I finally put it to the running test.  I had 9 miles on the schedule and it was overcast and kind of misty but not too warm or too cold.  I originally wore it under a short sleeved tech tee but had to peel that layer away after only a mile because the sun came out (could it have been the magical power of my bright shirt chasing away the clouds?).  Once I lost the tee I felt great.  It was one of those runs where the sun came in and out of the clouds and the rain couldn't decide if it wanted to fall or not but through all of the weather's indecisiveness I felt great.  The Woolies Crew really did keep me at the perfect temperature.  I felt like a little ball of spring brightening up the path and brining sunshine to all those I passed (with my bright yellow stroller and my bright green shirt, no one missed us).  I never looked back but I wouldn't have been surprised to see little daisies blooming in our wake.   As for keeping me smelling fresh, this I couldn't test because when I sweat I smell like a beautiful flower...
The power of chlorophyll chasing away the clouds.
If for some reason, you aren't one to wear lime green the shirt does come in 3 other colors:

Ibex also makes a men's version of the shirt, but unfortunately for all you guys, there is no chlorophyll option.

Overall, it is a fantastic shirt that I will definitely be wearing on many, many, many more runs as well as layered under my everyday clothes.  A huge thank you to RLAM & Ibex for the giveaway, you definitely brightened my day and by default those that I encounter.

*I won this shirt in a giveaway and was not asked to review it.  I did so because, well, I needed something to blog about, but also because I truly do love the shirt and wanted to share my love for it.

11 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Love that shirt and color. Looks great on you. And I also look forward to the mail everyday. Sad, I know ...

AshleyR said...

I love that color! I'll have to check those out next time I'm allowed to buy some gear.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Bummer about the men's option, because Chris K would be all over that Chlorophyll color! Nice review.

Rae said...

Love the shirt!

BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

It does look really nice!

eep said...

First, going to the mailbox is my favorite thing, too, even though I usually only get bills.

Second, I won a Headsweats hat from the RLAM giveaway, and it is pretty awesome.

Third, I so desperately want that shirt. Want want want! Too bad my birthday isn't until September.

P said...

I'm pretty sure EVERYONE loves getting the mail and especially a FedEx/UPS box! That shirt looks really, really good on you. Had to laugh about how when you sweat you smell like beautiful flowers - me, too!! :)

FruitFly said...

That looks too cute on you!!

And I'm with you - long arms that long even longer sleeves. It just feels better that way!

XLMIC said...

You are SUCH a CUTIE!

Love that shirt on you! I have similarly freakishly long arms... crazy hard to find sleeves long enough.

Jill said...

Hey girl, new to your blog....you do a great job! I also am a mother of 4 little kiddo's...and a runner! I just wanted to pop in and say....I'm from Alabama and since I'm a Roll Tide fan....I was hollering "Roll ducks Roll" all night for the national champs game! Poop on Auburn! Just thought I'd share that with ya'll up there in Oregon! Have a great day!
-Jill

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Love the shirt! The color is awesome. Looks great on you.