Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hood to Coast Movie

I felt a little silly taking a picture of myself at the theater,
hence the bad/crooked/fuzzy picture... it was kind of on the fly.
Well, I saw the Hood to Coast movie last night and this morning I'm still a little undecided as to my overall thoughts.  I've been trying to write this review all morning and am really struggling with it.  I enjoyed my time out.  I don't know that I've ever gone to a movie by myself before and at first felt a little weird about that but there were quite a few others there that seemed to be flying solo too. Also, I did manage to see Laura of Run Momma Run so at least I knew someone there.

I started out by checking out the cars in the parking lot to see how many had running related stickers, I saw three with 26.2 and one Ironman... which for Eugene could be any given day anywhere.

Overall, it was a good movie and it got me excited about the upcoming relay but I can't exactly say that I thought it was great.  There was some beautiful footage of the course (I sure love my state) and  it did a great job following the stories of 4 very different teams.  I did not expect it to be so sad at parts and I'll swallow my pride and admit I did get a bit misty eyed (okay, I had full on tears... sad, sad tears but I wasn't sobbing or anything).  There were also some pretty funny parts which I appreciated to counteract the sad ones.  Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I been with a group of running friends or if I had actually already done the relay so that during the movie I could think (or say out loud like the people next to me), "Hey, that was my leg of the race" or "I remember passing that spot".  It did manage to get me excited enough about running in the dark that I got up early today with my headlamp to get in my tempo run.

I know I didn't do the movie justice, so if you'd like to read a real review of it, you should head over to the Examiner and read none other than the one and only SUAR's review.   Hood to Coast movie review - Boulder running | Examiner.com

10 comments:

Teri S. said...

I went to the premiere here in Portland with my entire team - so I am sure that made a difference. The entire audience was clapping, cheering, reacting during the entire movie. It was pretty amazing. After the movie, many of the main "characters" got on stage to answer questions. That made for a cool evening. You'll have to watch it again after you run it this year and see how it changes for you.

FruitFly said...

I'm happy you went alone! On New Year's Eve I was the solo girl at the Gateway Mall's theater watching Black Swan. It is fun to go alone sometimes - and then you know you won't have anyone talking in your ear!

I hope they release this on DVD so I can see it. My friend that won the 10K at the Run to Stay Warm has done Hood to Coast, but we haven't had a chance to talk about it. Other than seeing his pictures, I only know what I've seen on the previews or read in blogs. Living here, I feel like it is something I really should do at some point!

Emz said...

ok
so
I
think
I am
the only
one
who DIDN'T see this movie yesterday.

I'm thinking I'd better go.

ShutUpandRun said...

I couldn't agree more. I loved the stories, but there was something missing for me.

P said...

I'm bummed I didn't see it. IronHubs does a big 120 mile relay thing every year - I love the relay atmosphere. Hopefully the movie gets released to a longer run or is out on DVD soon.

Jenna Renee said...

Awww I didn't see it yet. Damn law school interfering with life, once again!

Heather said...

"Or say out loud to the people next to me......"
Too funny.
I haven't seen it...or heard of it.

AshleyR said...

I'd like to see this, I only heard about it in the past few days. There is only one place that will be showing it next week and it's a bit of a haul. Guess I'll have to wait for DVD.

Run Momma Run said...

Hey Laurie! It was good to see you at the movie. I was with a big group, so sorry we didn't get to chat. Yeah, what an emotional roller coaster it was. I didn't expect to cry during the movie either. I wasn't super thrilled with it either. The trailer that I wasn't prior was pretty much the gist of it, so the movie didn't really offer much more. I did like listening to Bart Yasso though - what a hoot and in those glasses.

Run Momma Run said...

...meant to say "the trailer that I watched prior" No, I haven't been drinking, just a lazy typer :-)