Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Darth Vader the Seal

photo from HERE
Two workouts in to my second week of marathon training and I've already missed a scheduled run.  Not just any scheduled run, but a track workout... I'm not feeling too good about this.  I'm sure when all is said and done, the 8 miles I missed this morning, with 2x1600's thrown in, won't keep me from crossing that finish line in May or even probably keep me from reaching my time goal, but still when something is on the schedule I like to cross it off not have a big gaping hole.  I realize that things will happen and my schedule will need to be rearrange and adjusted but I don't like to do it.

I had a pretty decent excuse for missing out on it.  Jonny has had a really bad cold/cough, nasty goopy eyes and runny nose for the past few days and last night woke up with a fever of 104.5 sounding like Darth Vader.  So after giving him some Tylenol and stripping him out of his many many layers (our house gets a little cold at night) and scouring the Internet at 1:30am trying to self-diagnose and avoid the ER (isn't that what all good mom's do?) we rocked until his fever dropped enough that I felt comfortable putting him back to bed (actually that didn't happen, I was still concerned I'd wake to find him comatose so I brought him to bed with me) which was close to 3am by that point.  Needless to say that 4:45 wake up call wasn't sounding too appealing so I turned it off.

Luckily I promised Dan this morning that I would take him to the doctor (I tend to be a little too "tough" when it comes to doctor's visits... avoiding them at all costs) otherwise, when he woke without a fever, I probably would've brushed off the whole night and loaded him and Leona up in the stroller to get my workout in.  But, not wanting the disapproving look that I would get when Dan asked how the doctor's appointment went not to mention the guilty feelings that would come from blowing off the doctor for a run, I sucked it up and took him in.  Long story short, he has viral croup which is basically laryngitis for babies with symptoms that include sounding like Darth Vader and barking like a seal and although he might have a couple more rough nights (what is it about illnesses that always are worse at night... why can't the nasty little viruses just let everyone sleep?) he should be back to his drooly self in a week or so.

So, I missed my run today, but the good news is I still have one more scheduled rest day that I can use as makeup if I'm so inclined.  Probably what I'll look into doing is my speed workout tomorrow, then tomorrow's easy 8 on Friday (instead of resting) followed by my long run on Saturday to finish off the week.  What do you do if a workout has to be missed?  Do you work it in later on or just write it off?

11 comments:

Kovas said...

You missed a track workout today? Might as well give up running. Complete slackerdom.

Alanna said...

Sorry to hear he has croup. That sucks. But, glad to hear you caught it and can treat it easily enough...

Now that I have a calendar up (w/ yes/no boxes to check off) I HATE having to put a big X on the no. I've missed a couple of short easy runs, but tonight is the first long tempo I've missed. I'll probably make it up on Friday so I feel a little better about it. To me, missing a long run is a way bigger deal. Everything else I can rearrange or let slide.

crewser said...

I just found your blog and training for a marathon with four kids, I am super impressed.

Sorry to hear your little one is sick. I think the reason why I like having a five day a week training plan, as opposed to six or more is that it gives me time to make up for a missed run if something comes up...which always happens, a sick toddler, my husband's work schedule, life, etc.

Anyway, hope your little one feels better and look forward to reading about your marathon training.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Kovas always makes me laugh. I hope your little one is better soon. No fun. :( I just chalk it up to missing a day and move on. I think with all the work you're doing, you'll be fine and that is part of life...just gotta roll with it. That's me though. Make up for it by working extra hard next time. I am gearing up to go to the gym to do some repeats now....uggh, so not feeling it.

The Turtle said...

I hope your little one has a quick recovery so you can get some sleep and back to running.

Tricia said...

hope he feels better soon!

P said...

Ugh! My youngest used to get that croupy cough every time he got a cold. Thankfully, he grew out of it, but we spent many nights going out into the cold air to relieve it. Hope your kiddo is feeling better soon!
As far as training, I usually try to rearrange a tempo, speed or long run. But I consider rest just as important as a key run, so I don't knock myself out if it can't get done.

Heather said...

I had three kids before I every had to experience croup and it scared the crap outta me!!
I hope the little guy feels better real soon.
(Loving Kovas' comment! Ha!)

Kris said...

Sorry, the little guy's sick. Hope he gets better soon. I wouldn't stress out too much about it early in training. See how you feel, if you end up being up with the baby at night, you might need the rest day.

btw, I saw you were needing some motivation to blog so I nominated you for the stylish blogger award.

Tortuga_Runner said...

Sorry your little one is sick, I am suffering from a similar cough and it totally sucks. I can't imagine how awful it must be for the little one. I haven't run in a couple days and I just figure the time is lost. If my training cycle is a long then I sometimes will try to work it back in.

FruitFly said...

Ah, poor little guy. He must be feeling miserable with his new Vader/Seal voice. I guess it is a good thing you took him in. I also try to avoid the doctor at all costs, but sometimes you just have to give in!

Hopefully he feels better soon!