Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tuesday Training Tip from Jeff Galloway

This week's tip from Jeff Galloway has to do with proper running/walking form.  I try to give a fair amount of attention to my form when I'm running because I know it can make a huge difference in one's running.  (Plus, race day pictures always look better if you're running along nice and straight than if you're all slouchy and hunched over.)

Here's a summary of the video:
Proper running and walking form is essential to reduce the risk of injury.  The Jeff Galloway method teaches runners to stay upright, maintain a short stride and eliminate bounce.   Let’s get training with Jeff Galloway.   


What did you think of the video? I understand running with a straight back, I try to focus on that the most when I'm running. Since I do most of my running pushing a stroller I have a tendancy to hunch over and have to make a counscious effort to keep my back sraight. It's a little easier to do when I'm running sans stroller, unless I'm really tired.  I had a coach explain once that the best way to relax your body is to make sure your shoulders and your face are relaxed... when they get tensed the rest of your body tenses up too.

I thought the part of the video that talks about taking shorter strides and practically shuffling your feet was interesting.  It seems to be contrary to everything I've always been told which was, "Lengthen your stride!",  "Come on, stride it out!", "Don't shuffle your feet!"  (all being yelled in the voice of my high school cross country coach.)  I also have to admit, it looks kind of silly.  I don't know about you, but I'm very critical (if only in my mind) of other runners and my own form.  I always check out runners when I see them while I'm driving and usually say to my husband, "I don't look like that do I?"  He's always quick (and smart) to respond, "Of course not!"  I have seen one mini video of me running and I look kind of goofy, so I'm really not one to talk.  However, all that being said, it seems to work (quite well I might add) for Jeff Galloway, so maybe it can work for me/you too.  What do you think?

If you missed it, you can check out last week's tip regarding the Galloway Run-Walk-Run method HERE.  Next week, we'll get to take a look at Mr. Galloway's "Cadence Drill" that can help with overall running speed.  I'm really looking forward to that one.

If you'd like to see more about Jeff Galloway and the runDisney program, just click HERE.

5 comments:

Tricia said...

I an guilty of overstriding, something I've been working on.

thanks for sharing

Heather said...

I am passing this along to The Coach who is forever commenting on my "shuffle".
Thanks!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

My dad is constantly telling me to add just a couple inches to my stride... but I've always heard that shorter strides are safer... I need to read more about it because I'm slower than molasses!!!

P said...

When I switched to Newton shoes, one of the biggest things they teach you is to shorten your stride and ramp up your cadence. It's all about the low, fast turnover. I'm still working on it.

FruitFly said...

I have to say, and maybe that's 'cause I know you are so speedy and have been running for so long - and since I met you! - but I kind of find your commentary on it all more helpful.

Perhaps thinking of being photographed would help me with my form better - 'cause I really hate to look like a total blob! ;)

I do find I feel better when I'm standing up straighter and once I feel myself get tired I start to slouch and have to force myself back into position. And the face thing is so true! When I am struggling I've started forcing myself to smile -and it seems like things just get easier at that point.

I also check out every person I see running and decide what I think - not that I know anything at all! And when people see me running I start to improve my body position and run faster because I do care how I look ... which makes me not sure about how I feel on the whole "shuffle" thing - not that my short legs have a huge stride as it is!