Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Tale of Two Runs


It was the best of runs, it was the worst of runs...  Okay, I'm pretty sure that I've previously posted with that same title and opening line, but I think it was a while ago and probably before most of you even knew I existed so, since it was fitting I'm using it again.  Anyway...

In case you missed it, the kids and I are in Southern Oregon staying with my grandma and visiting ALL their grandparents (both Dan's and my parents live in the same town... and since they all read my blog I can't say anything bad about that or them...ha ha).  So, today I finally felt like my post weaning body could handle the little bit of bouncing up and down that two sports bras allows so I headed out for a run.  A quick check of the weather:

a few more layers added on and I was out the door.

It was cold, yet very beautiful.  I decided to run on the OC&E trail which is pretty much my go to route when I am staying at my grandma's.  It's straight and goes... forever.  For the first 3 miles I felt amazing.  It was so good to be running, the sun was in my face and 23 actually felt a little more like well 33 and I thought about shedding a few layers.




Then, I turned around and whoa, hello wind!  No wonder the first 3 miles felt great, I had a nice strong breeze pushing me along.  Let me tell you, I was soooo happy that I was wearing compression socks, under fleece lined tights under a running skirt, with a long sleeved shirt, under a hoodie, under a fleece vest with gloves.  That wind was COLD!!  23 no longer felt like 33 or even 10 for that matter it felt like -23.  I ran the second half of my run (which was all uphill by the way) holding the hood on my hoodie down so that my ears wouldn't freeze off and blow away.  I'm sure the people I passed thought I was slightly crazy but I told, in my head, each and every one of them (all 2 of them) just you wait until you turn around, you won't think I'm so crazy then.
Despite my whining, I survived to make it an even 6 miles and it still ended up being a pretty great run.  Good enough that I might even try to do it again tomorrow. 

5 comments:

P said...

HAHAHAHAHA! I always shout at people (in my head, of course) that they have a tail wind and they won't think I'm crazy when they're going MY direction!
Love all the pics, what a beautiful run.

Tortuga_Runner said...

I went for a 15 minute walk at my morning break and nearly froze. It was 50 degrees. I guess I shouldn't complain.

Amanda@runninghood said...

It looks gorgeous there but wind...uggh! No fun. :) Love the two sports bra comment. How long have you been weaning or done weaning? I could never run successfully while nursing. :(

FruitFly said...

Wow! Okay - I won't even complain about what I may be running in tonight. ... Since you are in Southern Oregon I guess I won't look for you at the New Year's Eve race in your town!

At least you have snow where you are. Lucky!

Teri S. said...

Love the photos of the OC&E trail - looks beautiful! But I think I might enjoy it more during the spring :) Way to gut out a tough run.