Thursday, December 9, 2010

Tag, I'm It

I always hated playing tag in elementary school.  Okay, that isn't really true, I'm sure I loved it, but I wasn't very good at it, as in I always got tagged but was never able to relinquish the title of "it".  I think it had something to do with the fact that I was not at all blessed with any fast twitch muscle fibers... I am not, nor every will be a sprinter.

Anyway, the wonderful Dawn at Racing Dawn (Have you been following her journey of 12 marathons in 12 months?  You should, it's pretty amazing and by "pretty" I really mean spectacularly awesome!) tagged me in a "Getting to Know You" post.  So, here you go, probably more than you care to know about me:

1.  What's your favorite race and why?  What's your dream race?

I think I really enjoy half-marathons.  I used to love 5Ks but it seems like it is much more of a long distance sprint... kind of like when I was in high school I thought the 800 was the perfect race until I realized I was supposed to sprint the whole thing, then I realized the 1500 was the perfect race for me.  I probably would have enjoyed the 3000 but that is just way to many laps around a track if you ask me.  I get so nervous for races, we're talking can hardly function the night before, toss and turn all night, shaky and jittery up until the gun goes off (I'm getting butterflies right now just thinking about it) so the dream race for me is ANY race that I don't feel that way before.  Of course if you wanted to throw in some beautiful scenery, great crowd support, perfect temperatures and a kick a$$ running outfit that'd be cool too.

2.  What's your favorite running tip?

One of my high school coaches used to always tell us to make sure that we relaxed our face & shoulders when running.  This is the best thing I've ever been told because I tend to get really tense when running (and life) gets difficult and reminding myself to not be all tight and grimacing helps immensely.

3.  Which reality show is your guilty pleasure?

I'm a big Survivor fan.  I haven't watched every season and I haven't even enjoyed ever season I've watched but I love the idea of the game.  In fact, it's my secret goal (not so secret now) to be on Survivor.  I think it would be so much fun and I think I could do pretty well.  Every year I download the application and start to fill it out but have yet to ever send one in.

4.  What is your power song, the song that takes your running to the next level?

I don't listen to music while I run.  I've tried a few times and usually spend more time fighting with my ipod or earphones then enjoying my music but if I did listen my power song would probably be
Johnny, I Hardly Knew Ya by Dropkick Murphys or
Out Here Grindin by DJ Kahled although I'll have to admit this one from Dora gets me going too, although mostly because I hope that if I run fast enough it will get out of my head.

5.  What is your secret to balance in your life?

Ha ha... that's funny.  I think the only way to have balance in my life is to embrace the chaos and unpredictability and just kind of flow with what comes.  I definitely have a live and learn attitude and if some days I don't get a shower until 3 (or not at all) then that's just the way it is.  On those rare days where planets align and I've been able to run and clean house and get groceries and remember to help with spelling lists and make a lovely dinner and have some meaningful adult conversations without passing out from exhaustion, I'm at least smart enough to truly appreciate it.

6.  What are you most looking forward to in the new year?

I'm looking forward to training for and running my first marathon, for being done nursing (so that my body can be mine again and I can stop doubling up on sports bras, although I'm not sure that I'm ready to not have a need for one anymore) and for some super awesome family adventures (yet to be planned).

Whew, that was a bit harder than I thought it would be... mostly because I spent forever watching videos and listening to songs on YouTube.  (Just a bit of advice, don't click on any of the "Dora on Crack" videos when your 2 year old is in the room, no matter how much she begs!)

So, the best thing about playing virtual tag is that, unlike in elementary school, you can't get away from me even though I'm slow (although you don't have to play if you don't want to).  I'm going to go with my OBC (Oregon Blogger's Connection) and tag:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls
Runninghood
Elkton Runner
Little Fruit Fly in Rainbow Colored Socks
Confessions of a Jaded Runner

If you're not too cool to play, here are your questions:

1.  What is your favorite time of day to run?  Why?
2.  If you could have any job in the world what would it be?
3.  Do you have a guilty food pleasure?  (i.e what is your favorite empty calorie food)
4.  How and/or why did you start running?
5.  Do you have any special Christmas time traditions?
6.  What race/event are you most looking forward to in 2011?

12 comments:

Emz said...

I love these posts.

Love learning more.

Dora?!? ;)

racing dawn said...

Thanks for playing!!!

I feel the same about balance too - the perfect day rarely comes all together but man when it does I'm so grateful!!!

And I love the tip - during runs I'll get stitches in my arms, I really need to remember to relax my neck and shoulders!!!

I'm making my way up to your neck of the woods this coming year...you can't be a runner and not run in PacNorWest during your lifetime, right? It would be fun to meet!

P said...

This is a terrific post, I love learning more about you!
Hmmmm, regarding #1, it sounds like you need to come on down to Cali for the 2011 CIM!! :-)
Your answer for #5 is fantastic.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

I liked your post and don't mind getting tagged! I do like the name OBC--we are so special, don't ya know.

Mamarunsbarefoot said...

Loved your post! I don't have a favorite race but would LOVE to make Boston someday.

FruitFly said...

That was fun! And I feel so special for getting tagged. Woohoo - thanks!

So - do I get to make up my own questions?? 'Cause I totally am!

Your answers are so good. It is like you know what you are talking about and not all over the place like I usually am!

I'm going to use your running tip on Saturday. Maybe that will help me shave off 36 seconds from my last time and finally get under 30!

And I'm gonna need you to get on Survivor. I keep losing interest. But I"d totally watch you and root for you even if you are a Duck! ;)

misszippy said...

I love your approach to balance--I think that's healthier than trying to control it (like some of us others!)

Heather said...

I want to be on Survivor too! I just can't imagine leaving the kidds that long. Well most of the time I can't.
Nice to get to know you better.

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

Love this post! Fun!!!

Is it sad that I already know 3 of the answers that Fruitfly is going to give... ;-) Yes I do... I'm sure of it!

Jenna Renee said...

Thanks for sharing the Dora song. I had never heard it. Too cute! I bet it's not so cute when you hear it over and over, though :) Thanks for the tag!

XLMIC said...

Ha ha!!! I was JUST singing that song... about 15 times in a row.

So nice to get to know you better!

kizzy said...

I simply love that getting to know you lines...awesome..

--I prefer running without shoes. My toes didn't get cold. Besides, if I'm in front from the start, no one can step on them. ~Michelle Dekkers - saucony running shoes