Sunday, December 12, 2010

Hi, My Name is Laurie and I am a Procrastinator

I have a tendency to put things off until the last minute.... i.e. I plan my runs so that I get to kindergarten pick up with seconds to spare, I don't decide what to make for dinner until 10 minutes after it should already be done, I wait to do laundry until I literally have to wash and dry my unders while I am in the shower... you get the idea.  Well, this works pretty well (for me at least) for things like laundry and dinner but not so well for Christmas cards.

In the (almost) 9 years that Dan and I have been married, I have procrastinated a little bit more each year with our Christmas cards until the last 2 years I didn't even send any out.  This is sad because, well probably for lots of reasons, but largely in part because it means that we have stopped getting many cards in return and I love to get mail. Now, here I sit, Sunday night the 12the of December and again, I have not given much thought, nor done much about a Christmas card, which is really pretty silly because if I merely blog about Shutterfly and their awesome services (which they honestly do have, my words not theirs) they'll hook me up with 50 of their photo Christmas cards.

I've never used Shutterfly before but I was checking out their Holiday cards and they have quite the selection.  If I actually get this post published it will be amazing to see if I'm able to choose just one of the many designs.  Here are a few of my top choices:

My dad will say this is my "Eugene Hippie Card" but I dig it & think it's groovy... ha ha
One square for each kid... this one could be perfect, no one has to share.

Complete with the bald guy and silly kids, this could almost be my family.
I really like this one, but I'd never be able to get my kids into just one picture & be happy, which would kind of counter act the whole "joy & peace" theme...
Of course, my card would have a picture of my kids (not Dan & me though, yuck, no one wants to see us) and might or might not contain all 4 of them looking at the camera and smiling... most likely not.  The cool thing about the card options at Shutterfly is that even though they have hundreds of options to choose from, if you're a procrastinator like me and can't spend hours trying to find the perfect card, you can use their toolbar to select different options, like how many pictures you'd like to use or what general color themes you'd like to see.  It's really pretty cool.  I spent waaaaaay too long playing around with it when I should have been doing laundry.

I'm sure you know that Shutterfly does more than just cards though.  Of course they have all types of cards, not just holiday ones, but they also have photo gifts like mugs and playing cards and a place that you can make your own calendars.    Quick story... several years ago, I made my mom, grandma and mother-in-law calendars for Christmas all by myself using just my computer, digital camera, printer and a binding machine (oh and a whole lot of love of course)... it was a lot of work and by the end I was hating every second of it.  If I'm ever able to recover from the trauma that was caused by that event and decide to do calendars again, I'll definitely look into using Shutterfly's service, way easier and probably better quality too.

Anyway, time is of the essence, so I'll be getting my cards (and maybe a few gifts) ordered soon.  If you're a procrastinator like me you should check out Shutterfly, they have some great stuff and if you order by the 19th, you'll get them in time to send them out before Christmas, either that or you can just send out some "Happy New Year's" cards like I'll probably end up doing.

11 comments:

XLMIC said...

Lol! From a fellow Master Procrastinator, I wish you the very best in getting out a card of photos of those CUTE kids of yours in time to be holiday-appropriate! I probably won't :P

Teamarcia said...

I'm the same way. Every year I say I'm going to do it earlier but I never do.

P said...

Even worse - I kept meaning to sign up for the 50 cards free thing but didn't get around to it until this weekend, and the cutoff was Friday! Waaah! Oh, well. I ordered mine on Saturday and they shipped on Sunday. Now I just have to send them out...

Heather said...

I have procrastinated as well. So much so that I am considereing New Year's cards.

Epic Fail.

Tricia said...

I'm procrastinating on ours as well...

Dick said...

Sorry, Laurie. Your choice doesn't quite make the "Eugene Hippie Card" category...the girls aren't wearing tie-died shirts!

Be careful with waiting too long to send out your cards, or you run the risk of not getting any at all. We haven't gotten Christmas cards for so long that I've resorted to bringing home cards from work that get sent to us by clients, just so it looks like we actually have friends (no one looks at the stuff inside).

FruitFly said...

I am a huge procrastinator as well!

I love Shutterfly! I stopped doing photo albums and scrapbooks, and instead make photo books on their website. And they quite often have fabulous deals on them, so you can get them for much cheaper than the regular cost!

Good luck with your cards. If you procrastinate enough you could just end up really early for next year's cards instead!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

The cards are reeally high quality as well. We went with the 4 hotos of each child card, similar to the one you showed.

Jenna Renee said...

I love the Eugene "hippie" card! :) But then again, I am a fellow Eugenian... LOL. I did the 50 free cards thing this year and it was great! However, I am quite behind on my Christmas shopping... Which just SUCKS. Good luck with your procrastinating... I'm off to try to work on mine! :)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

While I comment on this post... my kids are sitting behind me stuffing Shutterfly cards into envelopes and licking them closed. Ahhhhh...

EricaH said...

oh great idea i might have to get some of those new years cards you are not alone on the Christmas card procrastination.