Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Defeat Admitted

Today I awoke with grand ambitions.  It snowed a good 6 inches last night and I was going to get in some decent cross training by shoveling my grandma's driveway.  This is no small endeavor, her driveway is huge, but I figured I could get out in the fresh air, get in a little (or a lot, turns out shoveling is HARD work) exercise, and do something nice for my Grammy.  Win, win, win. 

It all started out quite well.  I managed to sneak outside while she was on the phone so she wouldn't know what I was up to and was about 1/4 of the way done with the main part before I heard, "Laurie Anne North, I mean Laurie Anne Higgins, get in here before you catch cold!".  Okay, Grammy, just a little bit.  So, close to 1 1/2 hours later I had shoveled the part where the cars park, twice... yeah, that's right, close to an inch came down before I finished and I didn't want my hard work wasted, so I had to do it again. 

Here's a look at my handiwork:

No, it isn't very pretty, I tried to get it all though, I really did.
Here is what I still have left to do:
No, not the entire thing, really just up to that large fence post... but still....

Here is the main parking area again, less than 2 minutes after I took the above pictures.  Ugh!
Why, yes, that is my awesome mommobile just chillin' there.

Here is my hand. 
Apparently gloves aren't just for keeping your hands warm.  Live and learn I guess.
So, anyway, I surrender.  I'm usually not much of a quitter, as in I never quit, but for now at least the driveway and the snow win this round.  I do feel I accomplished a fair amount of my cross training though, so at least I got one win in.  And, even if my grandma is mad at me for staying out after she had called me in several times I'm sure it was still kind of a nice thing to do for her, so there is a partial win there too.  :) 

Now it's off to decorate some sugar cookies.  Life sure is good when you have a Grammy to entertain you and your kids.

10 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Ouch. Maybe you can have some of those cookies when you finish the driveway.

Julie @ Hotlegs Runner said...

I guess you can consider that cross-training =)

Catey said...

shoveling is a killer workout! :)
You in Utah by chance?

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Are you just in Southern Oregon? We saw some snow this morning, coming down with rain, but it didn't stick. I bet your kids are so excited to be where there is real snow!
And, um, better blisters on your hands than feet I think...

racing dawn said...

I hate shoveling mostly because I hate the cold...so kudos to you...

Definitely a crosstraining workout in my book.

We didn't get 6 inches last night but we're about to get 8 to 14 today...which means I'm not leaving my house til tomorrow sometime. :( Maybe we should make sugar cookies today too!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Is this all at your house?? In Oregon? Wow! We had flurries today but then sunshine and then flurries again. This makes me want to drink at hot cup of hot chocolate if I liked hot chocolate...maybe coffee. :) You rock. one tough momma!

XLMIC said...

You are a shoveling machine! The Snow Master! I'll bet you're sore tomorrow!

Cheers! here's to a job well done *chin,chin*

ERG said...

Ouch.

Heather said...

Wow. You are a stud.
My poor granny would have had to pay a teenager or something. (I would have chipped in of course.)

FruitFly said...

Go you! Gosh, if I had all of that snow available I'd probably just lay in it and make a snow angel and then throw snowballs at my dog!