Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekend is Over, Back to Life

After spending a nice Thanksgiving at home with just our family, the kids and I loaded up in the car Friday morning for a trip over the river and through the woods to Grandma's house. (Which also means OG's & Nana's houses too.) The kids had a lot of fun playing with their aunts & uncles as well as a cousin that they rarely see and thanks to Nana & Papa and my mom too, I had the opportunity to go for a jogging stroller free run in the snow as well as a much enjoyed lap swim visit with my sister. I don't think there are too many places that you can swim outside in the 30ish degree weather and snow.
My sister (who was home on leave from her swim team at Boise State) and I had a great time at the pool. Well, I should say I had a great time because I was cross training, she was actually doing a pretty intense workout that I don't think was probably much fun. It was pretty fun to watch her though and also watch the lifeguards drool over her (not every day they get an Olympic Trials Qualifier in their pool). I'd say she swam laps all over me, but I was smart and had my own lane, so there was never any competition.  I even tried a little water running in honor of SUAR... that really isn't so much fun.  The only disappointment I had was that it didn't actually snow while we were swimming, that would have been really cool.

After a long trip home yesterday afternoon, it's back to life (i.e. laundry, dishes, unpacking...), back to running with the stroller and back to catching up on all the blog reading... I can't believe how much I missed by not being on the computer all weekend!

Tomorrow I'm going to have a special training video from Jeff Galloway... should be pretty cool, so make sure to come back!

11 comments:

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Love swimming in the snow in an outdoor heated pool!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Fabulous picture! You look so young. I need to go back and refresh my memory but I thought you had four kids?? Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, lucky you for having such a youthful face! :) Must be the running.

Amanda@runninghood said...

Love love love your all about me post on your blog. We have a lot in common...our love for thanksgiving, fall, wanting to have all our children by 30, jogging strollers, my step dad's last name was Higgins and I used it for awhile, and much more. Beautiful life, beautiful family. Hope to come back and read your list with more attention when I don't have kids running around...I should be off this thing anyway. :)

racing dawn said...

Cute pic - yeah you look super young! :) Not sure I could handle the winter swimming! Has your sister recovered from the big Boise State football loss - I'm still so sad for that kicker! I'm also trying to do some blog catch-up this week - didn't turn my computer on at all over the long weekend! Glad you had a great Thanksgiving.

Julie said...

That pool looks fantastic! I much prefer open water swimming, but pool swimming in the fresh air is second best. I love early morning lap swims in Sunriver in the summer. So much more fun to look up to the sky than to a pool ceiling!

runninglawyer said...

That outdoor pool looks awesome! Glad you enjoyed your weekend so much!

Adrienne said...

Swimming in an outdoor heated pool makes for fun times. Glad you had fun with the family.

ERG said...

Aw You guys look great! Sis must be FAST!!

I'll be looking for your vid tomorrow. Very interested..Actually I am curious if Galloway actually used the run/walk method to train for his stellar races. If so, that is just crazy!

trifitmom said...

i have never even heard of swimming in an outodoor heated pool ?? i think the ski place we are heading to has this, but for some reason i just can not understand the concept !!! aren't you freezing no matter what ? getting in and out

Heather said...

Much fun with the cross training. Reminds me of when I coached diving in an outdoor heated pool!

I am glad you enjoyed your holidays.

FruitFly said...

So being speedy must be a family thing! Too bad it didn't snow during your pool time. That would have been awesome!