Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tuesday Training Tips from Jeff Galloway

For those of you who don't know, Jeff Galloway is a former Olympian, an author of many great books on running, a marathoner many, many times over, a coach, a columnist, a running store owner... really the list goes on, those are only some of his many great accomplishments.  He was also recently named the official training consultant for runDisney.  In conjunction with runDisney, I was contacted to review and share a 4-part training series on my blog.

I'm sure many of you have heard of the Galloway Run-Walk-Run Method, where runners are actually encouraged to add walk intervals into their running sessions.  When I first heard about that, to be honest, I thought that it must be a joke.  I've been running for most of my life and it seems the main goal has always been to do my best not to walk and now this amazing athlete is actually telling people that it's good to walk, it helps save energy.  Needless to say I'm intrigued.  I've never actually see anyone use the Run-Walk-Run method but I know that it has worked for lots of people. I'm thinking that it probably isn't something that I would take up, but if you are just starting out or looking to drastically increase your distance it could be something that would be beneficial to you.

Here is a little summary of the first video, followed by the first video in our 4-part series (which I will post weekly):

Run – Walk – Run Method
The Jeff Galloway Run – Walk – Run method has helped thousands of runners get started.  By alternating running with walking you conserve energy, reduce fatigue, reduce injuries and run farther.  How fast do you need to run and walk?  Once you decide your minute per mile goal, you adjust your run – walk pace accordingly.  Let’s get training.




So, what are your thoughts? Have you ever raced with someone who was alternating with running and walking consistently throughout the race? Do you think it is something that could work for you?

Next week, Jeff (we're on a first name basis... ha ha) will share a video on proper running and walking form... should be interesting!

Also, if you're interested in doing a little more reading on walking while running, there is a pretty good article on Runner's World by Amby Burfoot that you can check out HERE.

4 comments:

Alanna said...

I do 10+1s (run/walk) for all of my long runs, but that's because it's the program my running store does. I find it totally helps once you get up to double digit runs.

Psychologically it's nice to know that I have a break planned and it's not like it's a failure. Sometimes I think a little too much emphasis is put on running a whole race - which is admirable (I couldn't do it) - when completing the distance should really be the goal no matter how you get there.

Racing is a bit different for me - for the last half I did I just walked when I took gels every 45 minutes. My first marathon I did 10+1s, but I don't know that I'll do that the next time - maybe 30+1s...

misszippy said...

I have to say, I was at first skeptical of this method also, but then a guy I know ran/walked his marathon right by me and finished out right where I did--and I was just running. So I'm a believer. Have fun with it!

FruitFly said...

I have no idea what I think about this ... yet! Tonight is my first run of prepping for the 1/2 marathon and I am not setting out to do a run/walk method. Perhaps I'll alter that as I go along? I don't know. I do know that when I am walking I'd rather run. I don't like switching between the two. For me it is just easier to keep running. But who knows what will happen when I get to those higher mils??

ERG said...

I can't wait to watch the video (when everyone is awake)!
I don't see myself as a run-walker either, but I saw a few people do it at my first half marathon. It was funny to me because I kept fairly steady and they would pass me, then I would pass them when they walked. This went on for 13 miles!

Also- I know Galloway's method is used by many, many ultra runners & he is training Chris Gillespie of Team 413 to run 413 miles in 10 days this spring. That's unfathomable to me.

I'll be back later to watch :)

come and visit!www.elktonrunner.blogspot.com