Tuesday, November 2, 2010

A Tale of Two Runs

It was the best of runs, it was the worst of runs...  Just kidding.

Yesterday, with my poor pukey husband home sick from work, I had the option to run during (as opposed to before) the day, even though the kids didn't have school.  This was a very positive option since I was nursing a Halloween candy hangover (seriously, I had the worst headache) and could welcome a few extra hours of sleep.  I still decided to take the youngest two with me though so that Dan would only have the low(er) maintenance kids to keep track of.

After the long weekend, I was really looking forward to going on a nice longish recuperating run.  However, as I was getting Leona & Jonathan ready to go, Emme asked if she could go too.  How do I tell my (almost) 7 year old that part of the reason I was headed running was to get away from her... that I run by myself because I NEED that time? I tried reasoning that I was planning on going for an 8 mile run which was met with a super sad puppy dog face and a "But I'm soooo bored and I want to get outside and do some exercising with you."  How could I argue with that?  I really couldn't so I decided to break my 8 miles into a 3 and 5 miler so that Emme could accompany me.

The first run went relatively well considering I was pushing a double jogger behind a 7 year old on a bike who wanted to stop every few feet without warning.  Every time I started to get frustrated with the pace (fast, slow, faster, stop, go, fast, faster, stop...) she'd smile and tell me how much she was enjoying our time together and I would feel so guilty for wishing it would get over faster.  Once I stopped thinking about my run and focused more on Emme and trying to engage her in conversation (which can be dangerous with a flighty girl on a bike... "Yikes Emme!  Look out!") it was actually fairly pleasant.  The best part was when she told me that she wants to be a runner when she grows up but "probably an early morning runner so that I can still be a doctor during the day and then maybe be a bike rider after work."  I told her that was a great plan and that she could be whatever she likes and then I told her about triathletes and that maybe she could work in a swim session on her lunch break.  :)

The second run was uneventful.  I dropped Emme off at the house on my way to the 5 mile loop.  It felt good to pick up the pace some a lot.  It was pretty windy, which isn't very fun to run in, but made the leaves fall all around which I love.  I'll be sad once the leaves are done with their colors and turn brown and soggy... which will be soon.  Leona and Jonny slept the entire time and I was left to my thoughts which centered mostly around how warm it was for the first day of November.  It was 69 degrees yesterday!  Needless to say I had to lose the long sleeves I was running in.

When all was said and done, I still logged my 8 miles and I was probably only better off for doing the first 3 at a jerky snail's nice easy pace.  Today, as I was back to running in the cold still unseasonably warm, dark and drizzly morning I almost found myself missing my time with Emme.... almost.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, I LOVE your daughter's aspirations! I'm sure she'll remember that bike ride for a long time!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Way to get her involved and...fartleks, so good speedwork!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

You did the right thing. You are such a great mom!

runningwithababyonboard said...

what a great role model you are for your little ones!

Emz said...

YAY you. You rock.

Kids notice these things. What a great example you are.

Heather said...

Your daughter sounds so sweet..and ambitious. :)
Now you have given me guilt. I often tell mine she can't come.
Also her bike is broken and I told her she would have to wait for Christmas for a new one.
And I didn't fix her hair this morning.
Fail!

You did good though!!

misszippy said...

You're a good mama! She probably loved that time with you.

P said...

You seriously deserve the Mom of the Year award! I just loved this post. Emme is a lucky, lucky girl (who is probably going to grow up and be a brilliant doctor/triathlete because of your awesome influence!)

Amanda@runninghood said...

So glad to find another Oregon runner! I found your blog through (just) Trying Is For Little Girls who just found me. I'm looking forward to reading your blogs as I continue to connect to bloggy blog world. :)