Friday, November 19, 2010

Run to Stay Warm

I should have realized that signing up to run a race called Run to Stay Warm that I would literally have to run to stay warm.  I just assumed that it was called such because it is a fundraiser to help pay heating bills for those unable to do so themselves. I suppose the fact that it is in the middle of November and that the "R" in the logo is wearing a scarf and hat should have tipped me off a bit but no, I was apparently a little too dense to catch on to that.  So I've been stalking the weather all week (or probably longer) and feel that we're finally close enough to race day (it is tomorrow after all) that I have to believe it is fairly accurate, which means, cold and wet.  See for yourself:
Luckily the half marathon doesn't kick off until 9am, when it will be warming up enough to "feel like 35".  (Sure feel sorry for all those kiddos doing the 400 fun run that will be occurring when it still only feels like 33.)  What does that even mean?  "Yeah, it's 40 outside but it only feels like 35."  Does that mean that you've been standing around in the freezing cold rain long enough that if you had 40 digits, you'd only be able to feel 35 of them?  And with 70% chance of precipitation, we will definitely be running to stay dry too (ha ha, as if that were possible) because everyone that lives in the great Pacific NW knows "70% chance of precipitation" means that it will be raining 70% of the day (or 100% during the race).

I actually don't mind too much running in the rain and cold (or so I tell myself because come actual winter here, that will be my only option), but I'll be honest, I've never raced in it and it doesn't sound too appealing.  I'm not really sure what to wear... should I stash an extra outfit, pair of shoes & dry socks at the half way point so that I can have something to look forward to, maybe run with a thermos and fuel with hot chocolate or chicken noodle soup? Maybe I could run with one of those cool umbrella hats... they make those for runners, no?  Or better yet, this cool contraption that can be found at ufocap.com:
I'll tell you what though, despite not feeling PR ready, I just might get one because I'll be in such a hurry to get it over with having such a fun time.  Happy Friday everyone and Happy Running (despite the weather)!

12 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

Good luck to you! And the other Blogger runners here in the NW doing this race. Hoping for a PR for you! :) Stay Warm.

Nicole @BodyByBeer said...

I would drive the 180 miles or so to see you try running in one of those UFO hats...

Amanda@runninghood said...

I'm seriously feeling crazy enough to want to come down and run this too but I know that wouldn't be wise right now. But I guess I could always take it easy and run the shorter races and my kids could run the kid run! Hmmm, well, you just might see me there...we shall see.

misszippy said...

I say go with that awesome kids' yellow contraption! You'll do great...just have nice, warm/dry clothes waiting for you when you cross the line.

Emz said...

OK the UFO cap --- rocks!!

Teamarcia said...

I'm loving that yellow thing! perfect for rain! Good luck! I'd worry about the rain way more than the cold...remember it'll feel 20 degrees warmer once you get going.

ERG said...

lol...I am bringing it ALL. And preparing to unlayer junky long sleeve top in the bushes for homeless people to use.

See you there!

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

I'm with Marcia... I don't think the temperature will feel that bad once you get moving, but the RAIN... that would be the part that would put me over the edge! Good luck.

P said...

Even though I love running in the rain, I totally want that UFO Cap!!! How and why did you even find such a thing??
I have a feeling you're going to rock this race, because you pretty much rock everything you do. Can't wait to hear all about it!

Anna Walker said...

DANG!
Good luck! That's super cold! I was complaining because LA is like 50 degrees, but that's a lot colder!
BUT
Running to stay warm may be my motto today, because I know I need to run, BUT it's freezing! Good Motto!

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

XLMIC said...

Hefty Bag.

Seriously.

I ran my second marathon in a short-sleeve poly something, shorts and a hefty bag. It was awesome. And I was done in under 4 hrs ;-) And it was pouring for about half of the race. I got used to the wet feet and didn't need to worry about stepping in puddles.

Hope the run goes well! Have FUN!

ShutUpandRun said...

Hope you stayed warm. The hardest part of the cold will be waiting at the start line. Hopefully. Or maybe I'm just full of it.