Thursday, November 11, 2010

Not a Groupie

Laura of Run Momma Run hosts a weekly Thursday morning group run.  I've always wanted to join in on the fun but haven't had the opportunity because they run at 6am which, in all honesty, is just a little too late for me to go running.  Today though, with it being Veteran's Day, and the court and school closed I could run anytime I wanted so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Lucky for me, Mr. I'm Getting All My Baby Teeth At One Time And Am Really Grumpy, (long name I know, we call him Jonny for short) was up and hoping to get out of the house too, so I took him with me. We almost didn't make it in time.  I got Jonny all dressed in his warmest jammies and a fresh diaper just to have him dirty it.  So, I changed him and got my shoes on, just in time to need to change him again.  Seriously kid?!  Running short on time, I grabbed my headlamp to find out that the batteries had died in the night.  I quickly put in new batteries, but put one upside down.  Then I couldn't get the batteries back out to switch them around (something about having forced them in the wrong way the first time, I don't know...)  A few curses and swears and lots of counter pounding later I finally got the batteries out. Finally batteries in the right way, clean diaper, warm clothes and we were ready to head out the door.  Oh crap, it was already 5:55 and I had almost a mile to run for the meet up!  Sometimes I'm kind of speedy, but not THAT speedy.  Luckily it was all down hill, I didn't have to stop for the traffic light and they didn't take off right at 6am.

The run itself was pretty uneventful.  My headlamp, that basically made me late, stopped working within a mile (piece of garbage, of course maybe it had something to do with the counter pounding or wearing it in the rain the other day) but between the 5 of us there were 3 other lamps and it got light long before we finished so it wasn't an issue.  Mostly I felt a little like I was in the way with my jogging stroller.  I did my best to not take up much space, but strollers aren't exactly something that you can just blend into the shadows with.  I also kind of worried that these women got up early to run away from home without their kids and there I was invading their group and bringing my kid along with me.  Jonny slept the entire time though, so if it hadn't been for the fact that the stroller and I took up so much space, we could have been "out of sight, out of mind".

Overall, I enjoyed running with the group.  They seem like they could be a nice bunch of ladies to get to know.  However, I've become so accustomed to running by myself (or more often than not, with a stroller) that sometimes I think I prefer to do it alone.  That being said, I'll never turn down a group invitation and look forward to some more group runs in the future, just maybe without the stroller next time.

And for your listening pleasure, here's a random song that has been stuck in my head all morning:





Don't forget to enter my CSN giveaway!

8 comments:

Amanda@runninghood said...

I hear ya with the jogger stroller. I think I prefer to run alone anyway but agree that groups can be nice sometimes too. 6 a.m a little too late? Wow, I can't even get my runner engines going by 6! And Getting my kids up and in warm clothes to join me by then would be a chore in itself. You're awesome. I need to watch your video in a minute when I can find another 2 minutes to get back on the computer.

Quinton J said...

Lol…It’s cute how you kinda felt out of place with the stroller. I think I’m kinda like you in that I’ve gotten so used to running on my own that I don’t mind it (sometimes prefer it) but occasionally I welcome the change and enjoy the company.

Heather said...

I chose not to listen to the song because then it will be stuck in MY head.
I am uncomfortable running with others. What if I am too slow or have to make a pit stop?
My SIL who recently moved two blocks from me and I are dancing around maybe trying to run together eventually.

Julie said...

I was seriously JUST listening to that song.

Funny story...although I'm sure it was more frustrating than funny to YOU.

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

The baby is so cute, I'm sure they didn't mind. Do you have a meet up place for us for the EWEB half? I met another imaginary friend who is running the race too. I hope to get pictures of all of us before the two of you take off and smoke me in the race:)

ERG said...

AYE! 6 am is late, but not if you have to pack a kiddo!
The diaper thing....isn't it always how it works- when you are almost out the door...? lol I can relate.
I'm awarding 1000 points to you for running in a group today with all the effort required!

Tortuga_Runner said...

Great, thanks for the song. Why I chose to listen is beyond me, it will now be stuck in my head when I try to fall asleep tonight. I can't believe that I also think 6:00 is late...pre-kids 6am was E-A-R-L-Y!

Running Diva Mom said...

Hey Laurie! You've won something on my blog -- please check it out and send me your contact info. Congrats, and thanks for following my journey!!
runningdivamom at charter dot net
www.runningdivamom.com