Saturday, November 13, 2010

Hope Renewed

In just 7 days, I'll be running my second half marathon.  I have not been looking forward to this race at all.  To be honest, I probably would've backed out of doing it if it weren't for Kim who kept asking me if I had registered yet.  I finally did, last week, so there is no turning back now.  At one point I was hoping to see if I could PR, but I'm just not feeling this race.  My training really hasn't been what I would've liked... very little speed work and only a couple long runs.

Today I went on my last long run before the race.  I decided that it would be good for me to run the course, in hopes to get a little more excited about the race.  For the most part, it is the same course that I ran for the Eugene Women's Half, with just a few slight variations and in reverse.  I had 12 miles on the schedule, but in order to run the course from my house I had to bump that up to what was supposed to be 15 and ended up being 17 (I think I missed one of the turn around points).  So longest run of my life... hooray!!

It was actually a great run.  I didn't set my alarm or get up early.  In fact it was a little after 8am when I finally left the house... with Jonny of course.  It was a little bit windier than I would've liked, which made the 43 degree misty weather feel a little bit cool at first but in the long run really pretty great for running.  It was so nice to be out running without a headlamp and enjoying the fall scenery.  I've said it before, but I absolutely love living/running here in Eugene.

My goal was just to enjoy the run and try to stay somewhat consistent with my pace.  I think I did a pretty good job.  At the beginning I caught myself taking off a bit and had to consciously slow down which I think will be good practice for next weekend... I get too excited at the start of races and ALWAYS go out too fast.  It was a nice run, with not too many people out.  There was a large group of frolfers discing it up near Autzen Stadium and a Sheriff's work crew cleaning up by the river  (didn't care so much for running through their little party).  For the most part, I felt pretty good and checked my time at 13.11 miles, which surprisingly was 1:46!  In case you aren't keeping track of my PRs, that's what I finished the Eugene Women's Half in.  Needless to say I was pretty excited (enough so that I was able to find renewed energy for the final 4 miles of the run and not have to beg a ride off my husband) and am now looking forward to seeing what I can do next Saturday when actually racing.  Today's run was just what I needed.
Total distance 17.06miles
Time 2:18:36
Pace  8:08

Now if Oregon can pull out an impressive win over Cal this afternoon my day will be complete!  Go Ducks!!

Oh, also, don't forget about my giveaway... only a few days left.

11 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Nice run! That decides it, you get to carry the car keys next Saturday! You might need to warm up while you wait for me...
And, just for you, Go Ducks!

P said...

You are so far past "amazing" that I don't think there's a word for you. Wow!! Not only are you going to kick a** at your half, but I really can't wait to see you do a full.

Heather said...

Great job. You will do awesomely at the half.

Julie D. said...

Nice run! Good luck next weekend. Sounds like you are more than ready!!

ERG said...

Wow! You are going to do GREAT! Did you run 17 miles with a stroller? If so, you are beyond unbelievable. (heh...even without the stroller, I am impressed with the pace!)
Great job!

me/mom/NANA said...

The nice thing is that next Saturday when you race and get a new PR you will be doing it a year older. So just think of the race as just a little birthday gift for yourself. I know you will do great. You always do.

Jennifer said...

Holy cow! If you can run that fast pushing a stroller, then I can't wait to see what you can do when you're all on your own! The fact that you can run that far with a stroller is amazing.

~Jennifer

Teamarcia said...

Nicely done! I'm expecting great things from you on Saturday!

Dick said...

Good job, Laurie! Just like the rest of your followers, I can't help but be impressed with how fast you are. But wait...are you actually PUSHING your stroller, or do you jump on and RIDE it down the hills??? (Just kidding...I know you too well for that.)

Good luck Saturday. We might come up to watch you run.

runsinthefamily said...

Hi! I just found your blog via Teamarcia's blog! Good luck next week! It sounds like you will have a great race!

Michelle said...

oh wow you are so fast!