Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Back on Track

Beautifully foggy fall morning at the track.
Last week was supposed to be the start of a 4 week training plan for my upcoming half, but with the lovely stomach bug that made itself at home in our family, that plan was sidelined a bit.  With only 3 weeks until the race, I'm starting to panic I've gotten back on track and so far haven't missed a scheduled run.

To keep my 3 day streak alive, meant today was a trip to the track for a few 1600 repeats.  The original plan was to head over super early this morning, with at the most Jonny, but due to a girl's night out with a little spiciness, a lot of sweet promises and even some booty (salsa, Dove Promises and Pirate's Booty that is... I know we're hard core) when my alarm went off at 4:30 (after the kid version having gone off at 12:30 and 2) I quickly turned it off for a couple more hours.  Unfortunately, that meant it would be a day at the track with both kids in the double stroller... not too appealing but doable.  I've only done one other track workout with a stroller (remember it?) and it went okay although I was only pushing the single and I do remember that it is a bit harder without the ability to use my arms.

Luckily the track was mostly empty when I got there.  I don't care much for working out with an audience.  The only people there were a girl and her coach who seemed pretty intense at first until I realized she was doing a speed walking workout.  It didn't make it any less intense but definitely less intimidating.  I've seen speed walkers before, but never doing track workouts.  It was pretty impressive, in a wow speed walkers look kind of weird but can go really fast sort of way.
Loving these leaves...

So, I had 3 1600s on my plate.  My goal was to stay consistent and stay under 7:00.  First one went by without much problem 6:41, maybe a little too fast to start.  I took the 800 recover nice and easy.  Second one I could tell was going to be slower and it was but not too bad, 6:47.  I walked a little of the second 800 recovery and took my sweet time getting around the track for the final 1600.  I contemplated running the last one without the stroller because both kids were asleep (running in circles isn't stimulating, what?!) but decided to suck it up and finish the way I started.  It turns out that was a good choice because halfway through my last repeat a PE class of mostly boys came out to the track to do a timed mile... I have a feeling it wouldn't have been too good to have my kids parked on the sideline.  After receiving the teacher's blessing to finish up my workout, ("Mind if I. Do. A couple. More laps." I gasped.  "Knock yourself out" was his reply.) I managed to bring it in as strong as I could for the last repeat. You'd think with the large audience of adolescent boys to cheer me one (and swerve around) I would've been able to pick up the pace a bit, but lo and behold it was my slowest mile of the day 6:53.  After a quick steady 800 recovery we headed off the track and back around the neighborhood to our house to finish off the day at a nice even 7 miles.

All-in-all tracking it up with the double wasn't the end of the world but it definitely provided me with the incentive I need to not ignore my alarm next time.

15 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

nice job on the 1600s. love that picture with the leaves. nothing like that around here yet.

racing dawn said...

Those are some fast miles! with a kids on board! Track workouts is something I definitely need to more of! Love foggy morning runs!

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Wow, miss speedy! I've got 1600 on deck for tomorrow, but I will be way slower! Glad you got it done:0

runningwithababyonboard said...

holy wow! you are super fast (especially pushing a stroller)!

Heather said...

You are speedy!

What is wrong with those trees? I have heard about leaves changing colors. Mysterious. (Kidding.)

track coach and adorable wife said...

That is so madly impressive! Just unbelievable! The times with the kids, Jesse is going to have to work pretty hard if he wants to beat you!

P said...

I don't even think I could do a 6:41 mile with roller skates - you ROCK!

Amanda@runninghood said...

I feel charged just reading this! I'm so excited to get back to some speed workouts! Awesome job...you're an inspiration!

Heather said...

Random aside (i.e., nothing to do with running, though I DID pick up some running shoes) those pictures make me SO homesick!

Tom North said...

That's pretty dang impressive! First of all I can't imagine running with a double jogging stroller and second, those aren't slow times to be running right before a 7 mile finish up run.

Tortuga_Runner said...

Great picture and good job on the track workout!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Impressive times, especially pushing a duallie.

Zaneta said...

wow! great track workout! :D

sisterbison said...

wow! speedy! and with a stroller!!


Check out my blog at http://sisterbison.blogspot.com/

Quinton J said...

Nice work on the track! Track work is not for sissy's...and your times are impressive.

Great photos btw...you've just gotta love autumn.