Friday, October 29, 2010

Realizations...

Last night as I was standing in the kitchen making dinner and quizzing Emmeline on her spelling list, I came to the following realization... I have turned into my mother.  I suppose there could be a few worse things to be (just kidding mom, you know I love you).  I don't know when it happened (probably a few kids ago) but I'm no longer the kid... I'm now the parent.  I'm the parent of 4 kids!!  That's soooo scary!  When did you realize you had grown up and were no longer the kid?  Do you ever still call your parents for help/advice?  I think I talk to my mom almost daily, sometimes more than that.  I'm still a pretty needy child... that doesn't bode well for my own children...

I also came to the realization that I'm running my second half marathon in less than a month and I'm not ready.  I trained so, so hard for the last one but I feel like I'm already way under trained for this one.  My mileage definitely isn't where I would like it to be and I've only gotten in a couple of speed workouts.  I have no doubt that I'll be able to go out there and run 13.1 miles... but will I be able to do it in a way that I'm happy with or that I can actually recover from in a speedy fashion?

Okay, that's enough reality for one Friday.  Let's bring on the weekend and all the Halloween goodness that entails!  It's a good thing there are fun holidays so that even though I'm the parent I can still act like a kid!  In case I don't make it back on here before Monday... Happy Halloween and Happy Trick-or-Treating!!

6 comments:

(Just) Trying is for Little Girls said...

Oh, you'll be happy with you half in November because I'll be there finishing behind you!

P said...

Strangely, the older I get, the more I feel like I'm turning into my dad! Yikes! I think once the kiddos hit school age, it really starts to dawn on you how much of a "mom" you are, what with the homework and projects and everything.
I have no doubt in my mind that you are going to kick boo-tay at your half. You are still in excellent shape, you just need to do some sppedwork and you'll feel better.
Happy Halloween!!!

racing dawn said...

I think it comes in waves. Every once in awhile I get a flash of, 'Oh my gosh, I'm my mom'. It's so weird. Makes me feel old. And yes, once my oldest boy entered junior high I felt old. But I just keep running - hoping that'll keep me young! Good luck with your half - you'll be great!

Emz said...

you will do great. trust the training.

And I love the "I'm turning into my mom" comment. Each day I realize just how "OK" that is with me. ;)

misszippy said...

It is funny sometimes to wake up and realize you're the responsible one! And yes, I still turn to my parents for advice too.

Dick said...

There's absolutely nothing wrong with "turning into your mom"...she's a wonderful person (hopefully she's already read your blog today and won't see this comment). From a parent's standpoint who managed to survive YOUR teenage years, it's even more satisfying to be able to agree with you. You HAVE turned into your mom.

Good luck on your next half marathon.