Thursday, October 7, 2010

Power of 10: A Virtual Race to Finish Lupus


 Marcia over at Running Off at the Mouth has been raising money for the Lupus Foundation in coordination with her upcoming participation in the Chicago Marathon and in honor of her afflicted neighbor Alex.  To help with her fundraising efforts she sponsored the Power of 10 Virtual Race to Finish Lupus.  The rules were super simple, donate to her cause and run any type of race with 10 as a denomination, i.e. two 5Ks, a 10K, 10 miles, 10 blocks...
and incorporate the color purple, the official color of the Lupus Foundation.  I was super excited to get involved with this race because we have several family members that are afflicted with Lupus and it gave me the opportunity to feel like I was doing something to help them.  Also, since the distance was left to our discretion, I thought it would be fun to get the kids involved too.  We decided to head to the track and do 10 x 100.  So, on to the details... purple you say?


We started out with 10 purple fingers (except Calvin):

Then added purple hair and clothes:

It took us so long figuring out our outfits, coloring our hair and putting on our race bibs, that by the time we left the house, the cross country team was on the track so we had to change the race venue.  Luckily the elementary school near our house has a nice grass field that was the exact race distance we needed.  

Here are the kids getting all warmed up to start the race.


Jonny showed his support by donning a purple blanket and his very own race bib, he opted not to run this time though.
Then the running began...
and it went for 10 times the length of the field and even more because we were having such a great time.
Eventually, though, the lure of the playground equipment won over and the race ended. 
 
Except for Calvin who I think would've been happy to run forever. 

Don't tell Emme & Leona (or Jonny for that matter) but I think Calvin won this virtual race. 

When all was said and done we had a terrific time.  The kids learned a little bit more about Lupus and Emme (who sported her purple hair to soccer) got to tell her friends about it too.  It never hurts to have a good reason to color your hair or make purple chocolate chip cookies.
Good luck Marcia!  Hope you have a great race!  Thanks for giving us the opportunity to be a part of it.

23 comments:

Diana Tries-A-Tri! said...

Great pictures! Love the purple hair .. and the purple cookies!

me/mom/NANA said...

I love this post and the photos where just great. Colored hair was a real inspiration. Have you thought of going with green hair for home games? Something to think about.

ajh said...

Wonderful post! You certainly went into this whole hog!

Michel said...

awesome!! What a great supporter you are!
I had purple hair in my youth but my Mom wasn't that happy with me! You're too cool!

*~* *~* Tracy said...

So creative! Great job!

Krista said...

Great job! Such a good cause too. My mother has lupus. The kids look adorable and I love their race bibs :)

Registered for the disney 1/2 yesterday. YAY its official! :)

P said...

This post put a HUGE smile on my face! So aweseome that your kids raced with you and I LOVE all the purple!!!

Molly said...

WOW! I love your purple theme!

and thanks for linking my giveaway..look forward to reading more of your blog : )

k2323 said...

What a great post! As a Husky, I especially liked all the purple on you Ducks. Your kids are adorable and such good sports.

Rae said...

LOVE the purple hair and purple theme! Great post!

Zaneta said...

what a wonderful race report! I loved the pictures! Love the hair, the bibs, the cookies... awesome! :D

Heather said...

That looks like awesome fun!!

Catey said...

Awesome!! Love that you wet all out with the purple hair. :)

ErinandShane said...

I like this post! Way to go, hope the kids slept well after all that running

track coach and adorable wife said...

Your outfits are awesome and I love that you got the whole family involved! It looks like you all had a lot of fun! Now I want a cookie!

Judi said...

What a fun idea! I love that you involved your kids. I try to do the same. Certainly they will feel good inside knowing that they were doing something important and having fun at the same time!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Teamarcia said...

Now that is one heckuva race! Kiddos are adorable in their purple and what could be better than purple cookies?
Thanks so much for participating!

runninglawyer said...

Oh my goodness, this is the best race report ever!!! You guys should definitely win the prize for incorporating purple into your run.

It looks like you guys had a great time. Purple hair, purple clothing, purple cookies? Who could ask for a better time!

Stephanie said...

Laurie, you are just so fun! I love how you are sharing your passion with your kids like this. They look like they had a total blast! :)

Lesley @ racingitoff.com said...

You have my vote for best use of the color purple... anyone who makes purple chocolate chip cookies for race day has won me over!!!

Adrienne said...

You are the coolest mom ever. I want to be like you!

JenniferLeah said...

WOW! such creative and fun ideas :)I gotta say, y'all look great with purple hair!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but I just found it, and it is SO ADORABLE! Love it.