Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Look Out!!

Sometimes when I run early in the morning, things scare me. Usually silly little things, like leaves swirling behind me or squirrels making really loud noises in the trees. Sometimes bigger things like raccoons and cats or the occasional dog in a yard. However, until today, I never really thought of the fact that I might be something scary too.

A while ago I was running in the dark with Jonny in the stroller. I was wearing my headlamp and as it shines on the path, it also picks up the reflective piping on the stroller so that as we run there is the main light bobbing back and forth (because I can't keep my head still) with two stripes of reflective light running down below. I came across a couple of kids (by kids I mean probably in their early 20's, since I'm 30, I can call early 20ers kids) walking towards me. As I passed them I heard the girl say "Holy Sh*t! I had no idea what was coming at us!" I chuckled to myself but didn't think much of it at the time. 

Well, today on my early morning run, in the dark, again wearing the headlamp with Jonny in the stroller, I came up behind a couple of ladies running with their dogs. Shortly before I approached them they stopped in order for their dogs to "have a break" and so I didn't say anything about approaching as they were no longer on the sidewalk. I guess they didn't see me though until I was almost on them because right before I passed one lady yelled to the other one "Oh my gosh! LOOK OUT!"  The second lady then jumped about a million feet in the air, kind of squealed and yanked on her dog so hard that it jumped too.  I really felt kind of bad and as I passed told them that I was truly sorry, I wasn't trying to scare them.  I really hadn't considered the fact that little old me and my jogging stroller were something to be afraid of.  I guess maybe in the dark we do look a little like the angler fish from Finding Nemo:

Look out... I'll lure you in with my little blue light and then when it's too late to move, we'll get ya!

14 comments:

Runners Fuel said...

I've scared some people, too. One time, I was running (during the day) and an old guy (about70) was in front of me. I thought he heard me because he stopped and turned his head (after getting off the running path). When I got up to him, he jumped about 10 miles in the air. I felt so bad, I thought he was going to have a heart attack.

Meredith said...

I HATE coming up behind people! Probably because I always jump a little when someone comes up behind me. The visual picture you painted gives me the giggles!

Quinton J said...

Hahaha...I always jump and scream when I come across little bunnies that scatter when I get close. Shuddup...it's dark and early and they have a blatent disregard for runners. It's a very manley, macho kinda' scream though...it sounds really tough. I'm always thankful nobody sees me.

misszippy said...

Pretty funny. My friends and I scared a couple of kids walking to school this morning in the dark when we came up behind them. You do feel bad!

Kovas Palubinskas said...

Maybe put a bike light on the stroller? And also one of those huge horns - aoooogah! That'll warn them.

I've heard Q's scream, not so sure how manly it is. I thought it was one of his daughters at first.

Quinton J said...

Okay fine. I scream like a girl. But those baby bunnies are vicious, vicious creatures…with razor sharp fangs and such.

ann said...

hilarious! My friend went to squat behind a bush during a run and ended startling a deer! We both screamed so loud.

Laurie said...

Yeah, bunnies can be pretty scary, especially those ones with the long floppy ears and cute fluffy little tails, and tiny little pink twitchy noses...

Rae said...

Haha! You should really stop scaring people. :)

Quinton J said...

Laurie...don't you dare take Kovas' side on this.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

I'm guessing Q has run into the dreaded Bunnicula. That is scary, I retract any inference towards a lack of masculinity on his part (he does have kids!).

Emz said...

I just want to say - I'm taking Kovas's side.

Laura B. Jog for Joubert Syndrome said...

hahaha, i scared my neighbor once. he heard me just as i was passing him and he jumped out of his skin. he told me he thought i was a large dog that have broken off its leash because all he could hear was my necklace jingling. i thought that was strange, that my necklace was that loud...and he compared me to a large dog LOL.

Catey said...

lol! Love it! Thanks for the laugh. :)