Sunday, October 10, 2010

Jog 4 Joubert Syndrome Virtual Race Report

Today is 10/10/10 which is super cool because I'm all about numbers (well, except for adding them or subtracting them or dividing them... or really anything to do with math)  so, when Laura, over at My Reason to Run, announced her plans to put together a virtual race in honor of the Joubert Syndrome I was super excited.  A 10K on 10/10/10?!?  Doesn't get much better than that!  Plus, I'm always excited to help out good causes of which the Joubert Syndrome and other Related Disorders is definitely one.

So, here's how it all went down:

The night before, I tried on most of my running clothes, until I found something that would look super stylish be comfortable and functional.  I ended up going with a simple black running skirt from Skirt Sports and my awesome new long sleeved top from Under Armour that I got on clearance at Sports Authority and abosolutely love.  It's reversible, you wear one side out to stay warm and the other side out to stay cool.  I don't know if it really works, but I've got my mind made up that it does so it sure seems to.  It was supposed to be dumping buckets so I opted to stay warm. 
The thing I love most about virtual races, is the flexible starting time.  My goal was to head out after Jonny woke up to be nursed for his early morning feeding... sometime around 5:30 or 6am.  So, when he woke up at 4:30 and refused to go back to sleep, even after nursing, my plans changed a bit.  I think he knew I was going to go running without him.  The way I look at it, is if I've got to be up with him at 5am we may as well be running...
so, Jonny joined in on the race.
Here he is trying to steel my cool race bib too.
After taking a bunch of pictures, and goofing off getting all psyched up, we were ready to race.
Here we are headed out the door into the beautiful October morning.
See, isn't it picturesque?
Since the anticipated start time for this race was closer to 6am, and we took off around 5:30, the paparazzi failed to make an appearance on the course, so no race photos for you.  It's okay though, it mostly looked like the above picture with little flashes of pink & reflective stroller running through.  Gotta love running in the dark!  

The race itself went quite well.  I really wanted to try and PR.  I've only run one other 10K (also a virtual race with a time of 50:28) and it was before my recent training program so I figured it shouldn't be out of the question.  My goal was to go out pretty fast and just hang on.  Ultimately I wanted to finish around 45:00.  At the 5K point I had to cross the street and at exactly that same time there was a cop driving down the road spotlighting the path.  I probably could have darted across the street in front of him, but since cops and I don't have the best history, I figured it would be best to let him pass.  I took this brief break to check my time (22:13... looking good!), switch my shirt around (no rain, which meant warm and muggy) and have a quick sip of water (glad I had Jonny acting as race support lugging it for me.)  Then I was off again.

The second half of the race went pretty smoothly, outside of the fact that I felt like I was going to die.  At mile 4, the rain finally started misting which was just the welcome relief & encouragement I needed to keep up the pace (more or less) and get home to the finish.  Hooray!  The minute I hit the finish line, the dumping buckets rain did finally come.
So, much to my surprise, since I was sure I faded too much at the end, I managed to finish in a 44:46!  Yay, a new PR!!
To celebrate, breakfast was a a glass of chocolate milk and a slice of key lime pie.  
Mmmmm, yummy!


I had a super fun time running this race.  Thanks to Laura for putting it on.  Also, I have to give special thanks to Jesse from Training with a Track Coach and his Adorable Wife as he inadvertently pushed me to PR, by PR'ing himself with a time very close to mine... close enough that I felt the need to compete with him.  

15 comments:

run4may said...

Great job on the PR & what a great cause. Your running buddy is so adorable.

AshleyR said...

Great report and awesome time! Always love your virtual recaps. I didn't write a report because mine was just part of my last slow 8 miler before my marathon and I didn't want to do any thing stupid and end up hurt.

P said...

"The second half of the race went pretty smoothly, outside of the fact that I felt like I was going to die." You crack me up!!!!
Awesome finish time! Thank goodness your running buddy woke you up early enough to avoid the rain, huh? I love that reversible shirt, gonna go look for one of those myself.

Rae said...

Wow! Fabulous time! Congrats!

k2323 said...

You sure are getting speedy! Great report and awesome reward for breakfast.

track coach and adorable wife said...

Oh he'll feel great that he just got beat by a girl pushing a stroller!

But great job to you! That really is awesome!

Momma K and her Krew said...

AWESOME! And you did look super cute. I have been curious about running skirts....might have to check out where you got yours. I bought a tennis skirt by accident and felt like a moron. Thanks for sharing!

misszippy said...

Wow--seriously impressive, even if you didn't have the jogger along. With it, that's amazing!

And what a cutie he is.

Zaneta said...

GREAT race!! Congrats on the PR! :)

runninglawyer said...

Amazing time!!!! Sounds like you had a really great race, and had a great time getting out there. Love the breakfast too!

Irene said...

That race director scores major points for the post-race food. Best I've seen EVAR!!

Great recap!

runningwithababyonboard said...

awesome job on the pr! and your race outfit is adorable!

runningwithababyonboard said...

awesome job on the pr! and your race outfit is adorable!

kizzy said...

Love your awesome report..Your baby boy is so adorable..
salomon shoes

Laura B. Jog for Joubert Syndrome said...

awesome report and pictures!!! thanks so much for running the race, your donation, and spreading the word about JS. and FYI....check the results post tomorrow....i think you won something!!!