Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Goals, goals, goals...

I'm definitely a goal oriented person.  Pretty much if I don't have a reason to get something done it won't happen, I rarely do something just to do it.  I'm sure there is something wrong with that way of doing things, but that's my way.  I have housework goals... unload the dishwasher before the sink gets filled with dirty dishes, get showered and dressed before kindergarten pickup at noon, get the laundry washed, folded and put away before the laundry bins fill up again, dust before any out of town visitors get here (is once every couple of months enough?), mop before my husband get tired of sticking to the floor and does it himself (or maybe that goal is to see how sticky I can let the floor get before he does mop :D), some of those might be slightly exaggerated, but you get my point.

Running is the rare exception to my goal rule.  I think, even if I didn't have a reason to run (i.e. keeping my sanity) I'd probably still do it.  Although that being said, I probably wouldn't do it at the frequency or intensity that I do when training for a race.  The last  couple of weeks, I was kind of slacking in the running department.  I'm not really sure why, I actually have a few races on the books, a 5K this weekend and a half-marathon in November with hopefully a few more 5Ks sprinkled in, but I couldn't find much motivation to get out the door.  The silly thing is I still got most of my mileage in (had to make that weekly mileage goal), it was just crammed into a few days instead of spread out during the week.  For example, last week I only ran 3 days, but still managed a 36 mile week... I don't think that's probably the best thing to do.  I'm not really sure where I'm going with this other than to let you in on my newest goal.  I was looking at my numbers (my pr's, my weekly mileages of late, how long my "maternity leave" was... ) and I noticed that my yearly mileage was at 748 miles, which means I'm only 252 miles away from running 1000 miles this year.  Hello!  New goal and one that can sustain me through the rest of the soon to be cold and rainy year.  After doing a little math (on the calculator of course because I HATE math) I concluded that, counting this week, I only have to average 23 miles a week and I can hit 1000 miles!  Since I've been averaging closer to 40 miles, I think this is a goal I can easily accomplish (unlike the laundry one) and will get me out there even when it is cold and rainy.

How is your year shaping up?  Did you set a goal at the beginning of the year that you are close to accomplishing or already finished?  I think I'll plan a little earlier next year and maybe set my sights a little bit higher... marathon training should help.

12 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Haha I'm sitting here, it's almost dinner and I've made nothing (yet) and haven't even had a shower--epic fail on the domestic front.
Running goal-wise I think I'm good. I hit 1000 miles...not even sure when...guess I should go look!
My running goal for the rest of the year is to get out for short runs but overall crosstrain and rest up for next year.

Alanna said...

I finished my marathon which was my big goal for the year. Now I have a completed goals chart on my bulletin board that needs to be redone!

Right now my goal is to get into the habit of running 4 days a week so that when I start marathon training at the end of December it doesn't seem like such a chore and I can bump it up to 5 days (hopefully). Since it's dark early I need to be more willing to take my son out in the stroller during the day. I realized that I kind of half-a**ed my training this summer and got by with only 3 days a week.

Big goal for next year is to marathon PR in May in Vancouver (shouldn't be hard) and possibly join a mileage challenge.

Heather said...

Great goal. I wish I had started with one of those mile tracker thingies...so I could play too!

Good luck!


I just made a new goal today. If I can do a race/event every month from now until April I will have done 12 triathlons or runs in twelve months!!

Catey said...

"mop before my husband get tired of sticking to the floor and does it himself (or maybe that goal is to see how sticky I can let the floor get before he does mop"
Hahaha-love it! :)

This year was hard for me running-wise because I wasn't aiming for anything specific, only to keep running through pregnancy, which I didn't have as much control over as I wanted.....something about only being able to fight your own body so much....
Now that baby is out, I am sticking to the kicked around "goal" (more of a lofty idea) or running a half before Oct is out. It will end up being just a personal half since there are no events nearby that are doable with a young nursing baby, but that's ok.

Next year, oh next year.....I will do the 1000 mile thing, my first marathon, a couple of tris, a team relay....I am so excited for next year.....

P said...

I'm not very good with the "big picture" goals, but I always seem to have a race coming up in the near future. I don't actually pay attention to my weekly mileage and have no idea how many miles I've run this year (although I'm sure it's MUCH less than you - damn, girl!)
And I totally agree that the house should be dusted before company comes, which may be the reason I never invite anyone to my house!

Anna Walker said...

AWESOME!
I have worked out for today, which was a goal.
Now I need to clean, which is another goal...
BUT
I also need to shower still, which is mandatory!
My goal by the end of the year is to be able to jog for 30 minutes straight! A big goal? Maybe, but hopefully I can do it! :)

http://annawalker1992.blogspot.com/

Janet said...

I am very goal oriented. I suppose that may be where you got started since I'm your mom. I always have things that I have to get done in order to get the reward. I hadn't set a running goal at the beginning of the year, but in February I set a goal of loosing at least 25-30 pounds. I found that running has helped me in meeting that goal. I'm stuck at 26 lbs though. I set a goal to race at Crater Lake this year thanks to my friend Jeanie. I have found that in order to keep running I have to have a race lined up. Thus the 5k this weekend. See you soon, be sure to dust haha :o)

Tortuga_Runner said...

This year is to do one event every month, almost there! Next year, I think I'll shoot for 1000 miles, we'll see. Good luck with your 1000, you're a rock star!

Quinton J said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Quinton J said...

My goals are kind of just a guide. With 3 kids and ALL of the stuff that goes with staying on top of things...training runs get missed. I try to step back and look at the big picture. I expect to go through periods where I either miss a bunch of training runs or I do them...but I'm just not feeling it. Those are the downs. I just try to make sure I rock the show when the ups come around.

Kovas Palubinskas said...

My goal is usually an activity that I've not tried before. 2007 I climbed a mountain in winter. 2008 I learned to play ice hockey. 2009 I did my first tri. 2010 race more than once. 2011 my first ultra.

Judi said...

I'm on my way to 1000 miles. I made the goal on January 1st and I am surprising myself that I am almost there. I have to run at least 18 miles a week to make my goal! It feels good to know I am almost there!